PDA

View Full Version : Caring for binoculars while hunting

Good2bCanadian
03-13-2012, 09:54 AM
While hiking do you guys keep your lense covers on and remove to glass or do you leave your covers off all the time.

Please post any general info regarding hiking and glassing.

I've attempted both ways .

Downside was covers on, I lost one.
Covers off, hard to keep clean.

porcupine
03-13-2012, 09:58 AM
I keep my lens cover on, except when closing in on a stalk.

Jagermeister
03-13-2012, 11:02 AM
I don't like having lens covers on. I usually just tuck the binos inside the jacket or shirt. I like quick deployment and find that fumbling around with the covers costs time, increases movement and of course loosing them.

BiG Boar
03-13-2012, 12:14 PM
no covers for me. What kind of a dust bowl are you hiking in?

hunter1993ap
03-13-2012, 12:15 PM
I don't like having lens covers on. I usually just tuck the binos inside the jacket or shirt. I like quick deployment and find that fumbling around with the covers costs time, increases movement and of course loosing them.

this is what i do, but a badlands bino case would work, just big and bulky.

BUCKJR
03-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Badlands bino case or other similar product is the way to go. Takes a bit to get used to, but keeps the dust, dirt, water, pine needles and other vegitation off your lenses. I can't go into the bush without it now.

dragonslayer
03-13-2012, 01:30 PM

I do the same as Jagermeister, exactly same reasons

snareman1234
03-13-2012, 01:43 PM
My swaro's have soft rubber end caps, and a hard plastic eyepiece cover...I keep both on, and they do not fall off, and I instinctively pop them off when i see game, and never worry about my investment being scratched

Rock Doctor
03-13-2012, 01:53 PM
No Lens Covers for me, just a soft case. Never had any issues yet.

RD

Singleshotneeded
03-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Get the Badlands case, it's around your neck firmly, and closes magnetically...you pop it open quickly when you need your binos. Site sponsor Grouse River Outfitters has them.

Onesock
03-13-2012, 04:36 PM
I found bino fogged up(outsid lens) when tucked inside jacket if a person is hiking at all. Sweat. Covers on until I see game.

dragonslayer
03-13-2012, 04:43 PM
I found bino fogged up(outsid lens) when tucked inside jacket if a person is hiking at all. Sweat. Covers on until I see game.

I have never had that problem, usually when raining or snowing just tuck it into my coat,handy and always ready to go if I need them.

Jagermeister
03-13-2012, 05:05 PM
I found bino fogged up(outsid lens) when tucked inside jacket if a person is hiking at all. Sweat.

I have never had that problem, usually when raining or snowing just tuck it into my coat,handy and always ready to go if I need them.I have never had a problem with that either. You must be one hot and humid person.

Get the Badlands case, it's around your neck firmly, and closes magnetically...
One of my cartridge cases has the magnetic clasp. I can say that I am not too fond of that. It's not that it's not secure, it's the noise it makes when it closes. Not overly loud, but just an un-natural sound, worse than closing the bolt or opening velcro. And with my diminished hearing, if I can hear it, the whole damm forest can hear it. Now this is just my opinion.

coach
03-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Get the Badlands case, it's around your neck firmly, and closes magnetically...you pop it open quickly when you need your binos. Site sponsor Grouse River Outfitters has them.

X4. Best way to go.

RoscoeP
03-13-2012, 05:27 PM
this is what i do, but a Badlands bino case would work, just big and bulky.

I use the same setup, abit bulky but works great. The best thing about the badlands case is the magnetic covers, no zippers to fiddle with and they close real secure. Binos in and out real fast. I also have a Badlands archery quiver with 3 magnetic pouches, love it. Cheers Roscoe

Piperdown
03-13-2012, 06:51 PM
X4. Best way to go.

And this coming froma nocups fan, he probably see twins :)

hookedonblacktails
03-13-2012, 08:49 PM
I use the eyepiece covers that came with the binos then butler creek flip caps for the other end

troutseeker
03-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Another vote for the Badlands case. I've used mine for 2 years now and it's great! My daughter uses one as well. Keeps the binos close to the body, dirt, water, snow, leaves, etc, out. easy to reach for quietly and if I'm on the final leg of a stalk I can just let the binos dangle outside the case for quicker access.

Whonnock Boy
03-13-2012, 09:33 PM
How well does the water bladder work with the Badlands?

Marlin375
03-13-2012, 09:44 PM

Be careful with Magnets, not a good idea to wear on your person, particularly the little super ones.

-they will tank your compass, (watch, GPS, or silva ranger) they all read the field (at the least make it impossible to use inside your armslength)
-erase or damage your media (cameras and video)
-erase your bankcard (never a good thing)

if you lose your compass, your camera and your bankcard it would suck. Riverswest jackets came with magnetic pocket flaps, and warned you not to put your wallet or your compass in your pocket........well....duh.... were else are you going to put them. I had them all removed, and use them on my oil drain plugs were they belong.

Jagermeister
03-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Be careful with Magnets, not a good idea to wear on your person, particularly the little super ones.

-they will tank your compass, (watch, GPS, or silva ranger) they all read the field (at the least make it impossible to use inside your armslength)
-erase or damage your media (cameras and video)
-erase your bankcard (never a good thing)

if you lose your compass, your camera and your bankcard it would suck. Riverswest jackets came with magnetic pocket flaps, and warned you not to put your wallet or your compass in your pocket........well....duh.... were else are you going to put them. I had them all removed, and use them on my oil drain plugs were they belong.
Now that is sound advice. Probably ranks as the most informative post I have seen in a long while, including all of mine.:mrgreen:

Singleshotneeded
03-13-2012, 11:15 PM
That thing about magnets is very true, I think in the matter of the Badlands case, (with a small magnet on the front
of a case that sticks out in front of your chest), that it shouldn't mess up your cards inside your wallet in your jacket...
or your camera in a lower jacket pocket... Never use a Badlands bino case for anything but binos though. You'd have
to remove the bino case to read a compass though, and I'm not sure about a gps...

Fosey
03-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Look at the rain wrap at Schnee's of Bozeman, Montana. Might have to goggle Schnee's boots. They are expensive to get shipped to Canada so my wife made me one. She might take orders.

Rodd
03-14-2012, 07:46 AM
I use no covers, just tuck them into my coat. I always bring a cleaning rag in my pocket of every coat I hunt with. I use the ones for ski googles with the anti-fog as well.. I find I use mine way too often to always be removing a cover, or remove from a case... They have to ready for use quickly.

Marlin375
03-14-2012, 08:19 AM
That thing about magnets is very true, I think in the matter of the Badlands case, (with a small magnet on the front
of a case that sticks out in front of your chest), that it shouldn't mess up your cards inside your wallet in your jacket...
or your camera in a lower jacket pocket... Never use a Badlands bino case for anything but binos though. You'd have
to remove the bino case to read a compass though, and I'm not sure about a gps...

Trouble is when you grab your armload of gear to jump out of your truck your magnet and your watch or your wallet always have a probability of inadvertantly coming in contact with each other, and you will not know what happened till its to late.

Singleshotneeded
03-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Lol, Marlin375, what did all of us tell you about being better organized and getting your poop in a group the night before? ;-)
The wallet sits in the inside pocket of your camo jacket, your watch is on your wrist, your thang is in your camo pants, and
your binos are in your Badlands bag that you slip on just before you leave your truck...grab your rifle at that point and you're gone! :-)

Good2bCanadian
03-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Great replies guys.
I found removing covers, on off, too time consuming, not to mention loosing them.
I like the idea of the badlands bino case.
When you use the case do you use only a neck strap on your binos, or a shoulder harness.

Also not hunting in dusty conditions, just rain droplets, needles, lichen etc.

Not sure if tucking them in my jacket would work.
I get steamed up good, probably wouldn't work for me.
Nothing worse than spotting something, pulling out the binos from your jacket and pure fogged.

I use those ski goggle wipes for my Dirtbike goggles.
Wasn't sure if the chemicals would damage the bino coatings.
I'm using vortex diamondbacks. Not the best, but I like em.
They seem more clear than my leupold vx1 scope.

Jagermeister
03-14-2012, 11:36 AM
When you use the case do you use only a neck strap on your binos, or a shoulder harness.

I use the Vero Vellini shoulder harness. I find neck straps uncomfortable and irritating on the neck, not to mention the pendulum effect. With the shoulder harness, no neck fatigue and the pendulum effect, while still there, it is not as noticealbe as the sideways swing is greatly reduced.
As far as cleaning the lenses, I use a lens pen, Leupold brand. I found that the Leupold brand better than the generic ones.
This device has the brush that extends out from one end and has a little concave rubber piece with a little piece of felt type fabric attached to it.
I brush and blow the dust from the lense and then rub it with the concave rubber cup it there are any smudges. Aside from that, most binoculars, spotting scopes and rifle scopes come with a fabric piece for exclusive use on the optics. Its a safe bet to you that.
Many optic manufacturers do not want moist chemical cleaning pads used as it may effect the coatings that they put on the lenses. A water moist Q-tip is about all I use, it does a nice job of cleaning the hard angled peripheral area of the lense.