PDA

View Full Version : Hydro projects killing fish in Squamish's Ashlu Creek, Mamquam River

seanps
03-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Just saw this on the Global news.

Run-of-river projects are killing fish, according to FOI documents
Global News : Monday, March 12, 2012 6:54 PM

Three thousand pages of documents obtained by freedom of information request have revealed that run-of-river hydro projects are killing fish in this province.

The independent power industry bills itself as green, sustainable and environmentally responsible, but critics say that is not the case.

The Wilderness Committee says it now has proof from the government's own experts that run-of-river hydro projects on the Lower Mamquam and Ashlu Creek near Squamish are killing fish.

“With private power projects the flows can increase or decrease,” says Gwen Barlee with Wilderness Committee. “What was happening on a repeated basis is fish including salmon, steelhead and trout, were getting stranded and were dying. And it was not one incident, or two or three; it was a score of incidents.”

Run-of-river projects produce electricity by diverting river water through an underground pipe to a powerhouse. The water is then returned to river.

The power industry claims it's more environmentally friendly than hydro electrical dams, but according to the documents, department of fisheries experts say there's considerable non-compliance with managing flows for fish.

"Page after page after page, they say it's a big problem, and if it is a great problem, where's the action?” says Barlee.

Two DFO experts expressed great concern over the death of salmon fry on the Lower Mamquam, in a letter to Capital Power Corp, now Atlantic Power, dated last year, they said "stranding and/or killing of fish is in contravention of the fisheries act."

The company refused to answer any questions, but emailed a statement saying it's operating in accordance with the permits and licenses granted by the provincial and federal governments.

The federal government didn't call us back, neither did Innergex, which runs the Ashlu project; B.C.'s ministry of environment says staff are addressing environmental concerns.

Barlee says the government needs to make sure that these companies operate within the law, and if they can’t ensure that, then they need to be shut down.”

There are about 50 private hydro projects in operation in B.C. right now and another 62 are in the planning or construction phase.

There are outstanding applications for another 635 projects, although they won't all be approved.

Link: http://www.globaltvbc.com/run-of-river+projects+are+killing+fish+according+to+foi+d ocuments/6442599542/story.html

lovemywinchester
03-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Is this a surprise to any one? Really.

BCLongshot
03-12-2012, 07:48 PM
The part that frustrates me is these things will keep happening. Not just enviro situations.

Politicians are such JABRONI losers but people in general can't handle the alternative.

Benthos
03-12-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm sure fisherdude has an explanation on why it is the ndp's fault, and why industry is doing no wrong :twisted:

DBM
03-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Remember, alot of these organizations will bend the truth in order to support their cause. This same group is calling for a ban on all grizzly hunting.

RayHill
03-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Remember, alot of these organizations will bend the truth in order to support their cause. This same group is calling for a ban on all grizzly hunting.

The NDP I see is against bear hunting Black or Grizzly bear check their website

sparkymacker
03-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Having personally seen how these run of river projects are constructed and operate I would have difficulty accepting that they contribute to fish mortality? Essentially they utilize what ever flow exists in the river at any given time and are constructed above fish holding areas so that they do not affect fish habitat. I would rather have 100 run of river projects than one huge central dam; which definately has a effect on the enviroment.

Oh and Gwen Barlee is the daughter of Bill Barlee; long time NDP hack so take what she is saying with a healthy dose of skepticism.

steel_ram
03-13-2012, 10:01 AM
I imagine the access roads into these projects open up some prime bear country.

seanps
03-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Whoops, sorry for the post! I thought folks here would be interested in reading about this.

Didn't realize I had been fooled into perpetuating the secret NDP plan to outlaw all hunting in B.C. I'm such a doofus!

lilhoss
03-13-2012, 01:25 PM
um,..water flows against a trubine,turning it,creating electricity,water flows back into river.No retention of water at all.The greater the flow,..one would think,the better,and then create more electricity per hour.If fish are stranded,I'm guessing it's due to lower water levels,which are normal during the dry seasons.This story smells like stranded fish!Yes ,according to the DFO, "stranding and/or killing of fish is in contravention of the fisheries act." ,but it does not state anywhere conclusively that these mini-hydro turbines are keeping all the water and drying up the rivers.Fish are stranded all over the province in late fall,due to low water levels,they survive in spawning channels and pools.My guess is poor spawning cylcles,habitat,or predation may be the root cause,but the easy fix is to blame "the Government" for what they have allowed to happen.

Benthos
03-13-2012, 04:53 PM
unless the fish are being stranded between where the penstock discharges and the actual project?

Ovis
03-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Dasque Creek project near Terrace is in fact being constucted in fish bearing waters, saying that it does not happen is totally FALSE....

sae
03-13-2012, 06:05 PM
if the story was red right, the incident was only during commisioning , and the problem was corected. more than likely a failed valve stoping water over the weir . our big hydro dams kill more fish daily been there seen it in the tailrace . take your pic nuke, coal, wind (kills birds). the westen wilderness comi is looking for ways to gen funds they have been out of the limelight since all the black bears disapeared due to hunting ??????

f350ps
03-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Having personally seen how these run of river projects are constructed and operate I would have difficulty accepting that they contribute to fish mortality? Essentially they utilize what ever flow exists in the river at any given time and are constructed above fish holding areas so that they do not affect fish habitat. I would rather have 100 run of river projects than one huge central dam; which definately has a effect on the enviroment.

Oh and Gwen Barlee is the daughter of Bill Barlee; long time NDP hack so take what she is saying with a healthy dose of skepticism.
He's an exNDP'er turned Liberal, that's gotta be the worst recipe for a politician! K

Sitkaspruce
03-13-2012, 09:16 PM
The ROR project up here in McNeill (Kokish River)will be killing off a total run of summer run steelhead, all in the name of $$$. The local Indian band, Namgis, was at first against the project, but as soon as a % ownership and more $$ was offered, they were on board an the fish were tossed aside.

Lots of info on google

They are hard on fish and other aquatic species, pretty simple to see....and sad as well.

Cheers

SS

Moose Guide
03-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Bull Crap!!! minimum flows must be maintained in the stream, I smell enviroMENTALTWIT tricks like Wayne Mcrory selling pictures of the great white bears of Tibet as white grizzlies!

steel_ram
03-13-2012, 09:34 PM
They are maybe not dams, but deversions definately take water away from the river and can effect critical flow patterns. Fish can't migrate through turbines.

aggiehunter
03-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Why is it always WC Squared that has to bring this shit to our attention?????????????

Whonnock Boy
03-14-2012, 10:19 AM
The ROR project up here in McNeill (Kokish River)will be killing off a total run of summer run steelhead, all in the name of $$$. The local Indian band, Namgis, was at first against the project, but as soon as a % ownership and more $$ was offered, they were on board an the fish were tossed aside.

Lots of info on google

They are hard on fish and other aquatic species, pretty simple to see....and sad as well.

Cheers

SS

Two things. This project has not been given the go ahead. Stewards of the land...... Pffft!

I have a hard time believing that these projects do not kill any fish, either during their construction, or there after.