PDA

View Full Version : Permission for farm land.

kuva
03-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Now that most of the season is done, I have been driving around looking for some farms to ask for permissions on. Does anyone have any good ideas about asking? I was thinking about bringing along some sort of gift. Also thinking about what day and time to ask, (as so not to bother them durring dinner ect..)
Anyone have a farm that could give me some sercets on what kinda first impression would make you feel good about giving permission to? Just a thought out there. I just seen the thread about messy hunters on priavte land, and though this would be great time to ask about permission. I have found some good properties and now just waiting for the right time to get the nerve to sell my self.
I really dont know too many farmers, and would like to get some insight to make the converstaion go alittle smoother. Thanks for your time and input.

TheProvider
03-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Try and look presentable, grubby old dirty clothes can make you look like a slob. A slob that may leave garbage on their land.

Its always a good idea to offer to help out on the farm. A gift never hurts, maybe offer to share the bounty.

If your going for deer. Ask them if they have a problem with too many deer. Alot of landowners have deer problems.

Do you happen to have a kid that you'll take out. Suggesting that your trying to find an area to hunt with your family works well. Also ask if they are hunters. If they are offer to take them out. A landowner may hunt deer but doesnt have the proper gear to hunt waterfawl so inviting them along is a great idea.

A huge one is if your going after big game. A lot of people don't like guns so being a bowhunter helps. Specially if you let the landowner that understand that an arrow can't fly far.... well unless you shoot it up in the air.

If granted permission ask if there's other hunters who have permission. If so ask for their contact info and let them know that you'll also be hunting the property.

Be honest with them. They might not mind you hunting but if you show up with 20 of your firends they may not be too happy. Specially if your friends hunt there without you. Give them the names of everyone who'll be hunting and also your vehicle description.

Be polite

longshot
03-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Perfect advice! I find a big one is watch who you bring to the land, make sure the owner knows who is coming other than you! In my case, my farmers will not allow us to bring anyone other than family because of previous issues with other hunters...

Mr. Dean
03-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Perfect advice! I find a big one is watch who you bring to the land, make sure the owner knows who is coming other than you! In my case, my farmers will not allow us to bring anyone other than family because of previous issues with other hunters...

True. Very True!

Farms that have allowed me access spell it out CLEAR - I'm responsible for all the actions of others and none are allowed in if not with me.
Once you hear their stories, ya can't really blame them.

Just get out there and start talking around... Fear is your biggest enemy.

FWIW, I have no problem presenting gifts IF its a gift and not an expectation. If I'm showed gratitude, I come back with a multiplyer of that recieved.

killman
03-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Not to high jack the thread, but you see alot of places with no trespassing signs at the gate. What do you do...

Mr. Dean
03-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Not to high jack the thread, but you see alot of places with no trespassing signs at the gate. What do you do...

Knock on the door....

If it were No Hunting, I'd probably keep driving.