PDA

View Full Version : Elk honey holes in MU7a

moosinaround
03-11-2012, 06:51 PM
So, I am looking for your guy's favourite spots to hunt elk in MU 7a. Yes I am looking for your honey holes, and No I won't share mine! Doesn't hurt to be blunt and ask??!! Lats and longs, map references, air photos, and or geographical markers all welcome! Thanks a bunch guys, Moosin:twisted:

kootenayelkslayer
03-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Great thread idea :D
I will be sure to publicly post all my favourite spots that I've spent years trying to figure out...after all, elk honey holes are a dime a dozen around PG.

You go first Moosin'!

moosinaround
03-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Not publically, jeeze man what do ya think I am Stupid??!! I know some really premo black bear spots I would trade for those elk spots!!!?? Moosin

elkdom
03-11-2012, 07:19 PM
I am so disappointed !

disappointed because I didn't think of doing this 30 years ago !:?

thousands of dollar$ of gas, worn out tires, sore feet from scouting 1000's of km's of bush locating great elk hunting areas,,,

now some wise guy decides he will do it the easy way,,,,,,,,,

oh well ?,,,,,,,,,,, let us know how this works out for you ! :mrgreen:

kootenayelkslayer
03-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Not publically, jeeze man what do ya think I am Stupid??!! I know some really premo black bear spots I would trade for those elk spots!!!?? Moosin

Haha let me guess your primo bear spot...is it in the ditch beside any and every grassy logging road??

Just go hunt that river north of town like everyone else in PG! I hear there is an elk there.

moosinaround
03-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Haha let me guess your primo bear spot...is it in the ditch beside any and every grassy logging road??

Just go hunt that river north of town like everyone else in PG! I hear there is an elk there.

Freakin blabber mouth, I said I wouldn't post your elk honey holes, and you blab my blackie spots!?? WTF no honour among thieves these days!!;) Moosin

moosinaround
03-11-2012, 07:32 PM
I am so disappointed !

disappointed because I didn't think of doing this 30 years ago !:?

thousands of dollar$ of gas, worn out tires, sore feet from scouting 1000's of km's of bush locating great elk hunting areas,,,

now some wise guy decides he will do it the easy way,,,,,,,,,

oh well ?,,,,,,,,,,, let us know how this works out for you ! :mrgreen:
For some funny reason, this thread is not workin out like I's hoped for................................??? Pretty tight lipped bunch!!

mjmbc
03-11-2012, 08:10 PM
go up to theholmes like all the other lmls do theres not a living thing left but the elk do cross the river twice a year ***** and not one person belived me when i sAID HEY DONT GO THERE

Caveman
03-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Mike, your honesty is refreshing man. You don't mind if I read along and take notes do you??

mjmbc
03-11-2012, 08:19 PM
hell you should just come with me once or twice everyday is an adventure i only lived in mcbride for my gosh how long dont remember and so many ppl on here were saying go there go there i always said no ***** dont and ya all still went to the holmes how many ppl bagged nething but grouse and maybe if your lucky an immature bear

moosinaround
03-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Mike, your honesty is refreshing man. You don't mind if I read along and take notes do you??
Not at all Caveman! Not much being said though! Guess it must be hard to find the elk around the PeeG??!!

ianwuzhere
03-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Great thread idea :D
I will be sure to publicly post all my favourite spots that I've spent years trying to figure out...after all, elk honey holes are a dime a dozen around PG.

You go first Moosin'!

Hehe, X2!
It was the third year after i saw the 7a bull i harvested this year with my xbow and countless days searching for the "hole" and trail cam setups and lost cams..
Something about an elk steak over a bear steak that i think i just dont think its worth trading ;)

-My advice-get lotsa cams, hike lotsa remote areas and keep doin it ;)

moosinaround
03-11-2012, 08:22 PM
hell you should just come with me once or twice everyday is an adventure i only lived in mcbride for my gosh how long dont remember and so many ppl on here were saying go there go there i always said no ***** dont and ya all still went to the holmes how many ppl bagged nething but grouse and maybe if your lucky an immature bear
....................But I'm not a LMLer!! Just a local guy looking for a good starting point for the elusive wapiti!! Honeyholes welcome!! Moosin

bearhunter338-06
03-11-2012, 08:24 PM
OK Here's my best spot.

When you first enter 7a turn left at the second big rock on the left (road is hidden by rock). Drive 18 kilometers turn right just before the washed out bridge. Travel another 18 kilometers and turn right. Bill Bob's barn should be on the corner (trust me you can't miss it). Drive another 18 kilometers and set up camp. Good luck with the hunting.

Deeboe
03-11-2012, 08:25 PM
So, I am looking for your guy's favourite spots to hunt elk in MU 7a. Yes I am looking for your honey holes, and No I won't share mine! Doesn't hurt to be blunt and ask??!! Lats and longs, map references, air photos, and or geographical markers all welcome! Thanks a bunch guys, Moosin:twisted:

I'll trade you a duck hunting spot for an elk honey hole---and i won't accept anything less than a 350 + bull guarantee...... lol..... if you manage to suck anyone in with this idea let me know....

moosinaround
03-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Hehe, X2!
It was the third year after i saw the 7a bull i harvested this year with my xbow and countless days searching for the "hole" and trail cam setups and lost cams..
Something about an elk steak over a bear steak that i think i just dont think its worth trading ;)

-My advice-get lotsa cams, hike lotsa remote areas and keep doin it ;)

I have a sneaking suspicion I know where you guys hunt those big 7x's!! But unlike Kooyslayer I won't blab it to the interweb!! Now where am I gonna hunt bears?? The LMLer's will be all over my bear honeyholes!! Moosin

Brett
03-11-2012, 08:30 PM
I have a chocolate hole I'll show you ! ;) maybe not as sweet but still produces ;)!! When your pm box opens up from all the tips you've been getting I'll send you the details .. I've got maps how to get there also, mostly painted on blue cotton :D

moosinaround
03-11-2012, 08:31 PM
I have a chocolate hole I'll show you ! ;) maybe not as sweet but still produces ;)!! When your pm box opens up from all the tips you've been getting I'll send you the details .. I've got maps how to get there also, mostly painted on blue cotton :D
I am ignoring comments from the penis gallery!! Moosin

ianwuzhere
03-11-2012, 08:33 PM

LOL..

I think in the future the population will be better. I have seen quite a few different bulls and cows, many with calves in pretty much every direction of Prince George. So the future of harvesting an elk around the 7A area will be better, even for a road hunter like yerself moosin ;)

Brett
03-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Some hunting buddy? ;D

Brett
03-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Ian things are actualy looking really good, if it keeps up there will be plenty for everyone. They are in every direction in pockets here and there. Think Moosinaround has a pretty good idea where quite a few of those pockets are already :) he's just trying to put a few more tacks on the map ;)

moosinaround
03-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Some hunting buddy? ;D
There are no friends when it comes to elk, except when it comes to packing it out??? Good buddy??;) LOL!! Hope you had a good trip, happy birthday by the way!! I owe ya an elk steak dinner with all the fixins! Moosin

ianwuzhere
03-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Ya, there are still quite a few areas where i have seen elk at that i need to do more exploring and cant wait till all the snow is gone to start with the cams and locating them again, every year they move and just gotta keep searchin new areas...

moosinaround
03-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Ya, there are still quite a few areas where i have seen elk at that i need to do more exploring and cant wait till all the snow is gone to start with the cams and locating them again, every year they move and just gotta keep searchin new areas...
Hmmmmm, gonna have to talk to Dawg 'bout some surveillance equipment........................... locator beacon.....................high speed film equipment.......................tracking device................................Hmmmmmmm.... ....................what color is your truck??;) Moosin

todbartell
03-11-2012, 08:59 PM
UPDATE - There's at least a few left in 7A

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/419708_10150619673287992_512917991_9280824_2021958 985_n.jpg

this one is the right size for Moosin'

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/423077_10150619666452992_512917991_9280760_6795393 62_n.jpg

kootenayelkslayer
03-11-2012, 09:03 PM
TB, the background of those pics is a dead giveaway! Not too many clearcuts like that in 7a.

But hey, you might as well pass on your spot to someone who can actually harvest an elk outta there.

ianwuzhere
03-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Hmmmmm, gonna have to talk to Dawg 'bout some surveillance equipment........................... locator beacon.....................high speed film equipment.......................tracking device................................Hmmmmmmm.... ....................what color is your truck??;) Moosin

dawg knows about as much as he does about "Hoot lake" on iceshanty ;)

moosinaround
03-11-2012, 09:20 PM
TB, the background of those pics is a dead giveaway! Not too many clearcuts like that in 7a.

But hey, you might as well pass on your spot to someone who can actually harvest an elk outta there.
Why you gotta be so mean Slayer?? Your right Bartell, those spikers are the tasty ones! You can't eat horn!! I will shoot em with the 450 though!! Think 350gr is large enough?? That cutblock does look familiar though!! No need to elaborate Slayer I got that spot down pat!! Moosin

Caveman
03-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Here's one moosin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqqwF9uJAcE

kootenayelkslayer
03-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Why you gotta be so mean Slayer??

Because Bartell made fun of my PG elk this year. He said it was small.... those words cut deep.

The Dawg
03-11-2012, 09:39 PM
There are no friends when it comes to elk, except when it comes to packing it out??? Good buddy??;) LOL!! Hope you had a good trip, happy birthday by the way!! I owe ya an elk steak dinner with all the fixins! Moosin

Really? Really? Really?

Wait. You did help me pack out my elk, guess its true ;)

Have you tried it yet???

Jagermeister
03-11-2012, 09:43 PM
10u 534099 e3905700

91Jason91
03-11-2012, 09:44 PM

Lmao black bear spots are easy to find the elk spots are not easy at all

The Dawg
03-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Lmao black bear spots are easy to find the elk spots are not easy at all

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/3159301+_a710ee80a4ff48f49b9809df13c3fd40.jpg :)

trapperRick
03-11-2012, 10:13 PM
What a waste of time this tread was

kgriz
03-11-2012, 10:24 PM
When it gets closer to fall..give me a shout...I've laid out cutblocks or treated vegetation pretty much at every spot some-what near PG and Ft ST James that they frequent. We talked about this when I bought your cruise vest off of you....I'll trade you for some good local white-tail spots...I'll be as specific for you as you are with these.

brno375
03-11-2012, 10:27 PM
http://linnet.geog.ubc.ca/efauna/Atlas/Atlas.aspx?sciname=Cervus%20canadensis

kgriz
03-11-2012, 10:32 PM
No BS, I'll trade you good spots...if for no other reason that being sick of people claiming to "wear-out boot-leather" finding their spots...most people get at least a small tip from somebody else...rarely does somebody simpley go charging off into the bush " pioneering the west ". I know what I know from working in the bush all over BC for the past 20 years , help from my friends and a lot of time in a helicopter to boot. I walk a lot as well but do not pretend that that is the best way to find animals ( mountain animals especially).

The Dawg
03-11-2012, 10:33 PM
What a waste of time this tread was

http://mrsmithcomputers4.wikispaces.com/file/view/black_guy_eating_cereal.gif/228192756%5D/black_guy_eating_cereal.gif

kgriz
03-11-2012, 10:42 PM
oh, and the overall thought that all areas are good for trophy black bears is silly, there are a couple of spots around that produce bears over 6.5 ft, but not all. Just because the PG area is crawling with bears come May long weekend certainly does not mean that all areas are equal for food and genetics. How many people do you know that have shot one over 7 ft? Not many I would guess.

moosinaround
03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Kgriz, I was actually making fun of the title of my thread, toungue in cheek so to speak!! I got a few spots for elk around town, but usually head north with my HBC buds to get away from town, hunt, tell lies, and make up new ones, and try to find those bugling baztards!!!. I wouldn't turn down a suggested area, and would probably go and take a look around. Any day I get in the field now a days is a vacation. Sure do miss working every day in the woods though! I got all my experience on finding animals from my consulting days of hanging ribbon, and painting trees. Flew LOTS of the central interior in those ole choppers!! PM me your number, we should go for a brew one of these days! Moosin

Benthos
03-12-2012, 07:40 PM
QUOTE=kgriz;1110575]No BS, I'll trade you good spots...if for no other reason that being sick of people claiming to "wear-out boot-leather" finding their spots...QUOTE

That is awesome, and so true :mrgreen:

moosinaround
03-13-2012, 09:30 AM
So, this thread has become silent? I never checked those Lats and longs Jager, I am sure they will show me the middle of that lake again!!;) Thanks for the PM's guys, I will check out all those spots! Some hunters are so friendly, and some are just so.........................................!!! Moosin

Jagermeister
03-13-2012, 11:14 AM
So, this thread has become silent? I never checked those Lats and longs Jager, I am sure they will show me the middle of that lake again!!;) Thanks for the PM's guys, I will check out all those spots! Some hunters are so friendly, and some are just so.........................................!!! MoosinLOL, what lake, what coordinates were you checking? If they're the ones I think, they will be in UTM and the bearing is 70°.
You should check the current coordinates, they're closer than you think. They are in UTM and not long/lat.