PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 Hunting

BCptown
03-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Hey guys, I have only hunted regions 2 & 3 and was thinking about trying region 8 this upcoming 2012 season. Any tips on good places in this area?

Roberto Luongo......................... (thats the joke)

hunter1993ap
03-11-2012, 06:51 PM
lots of region 8 holds good mule deer and whitetails, and a few elk. just do a little scouting and you'll find a good place. if good places are mentioned on the internet they are not good for long. you can do a search of the site on places in the okanagan and you should find a few suggestions.

BCptown
03-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Haha yeah no kidding.. Not looking for specifics, just general areas

sarg
03-11-2012, 06:56 PM
princeton bc, join every one from the LML in oct for a good time.:)
sarg:)

hunter1993ap
03-11-2012, 06:59 PM
btw thats the best joke ive heard in a while :)

Jelvis
03-11-2012, 07:06 PM
What kind of deer are you after? How big? Meat or trophy or both? 8 is fairly big.
What are you going to stay in overnight? Truck camper or cabin?
Jp .. Talk @ us.

BCptown
03-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Mule and wt.. Just for meat.. Probably pitch a tent somewhere for a few days

OutWest
03-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Haha yeah no kidding.. Not looking for specifics, just general areas

Do some research. You haven't even said what you're after. If you want general areas you're going to get general answers.

BCptown
03-11-2012, 08:03 PM
If you read up a bit youll see i said mulies and wt

OutWest
03-11-2012, 08:17 PM
If you read up a bit youll see i said mulies and wt

Ah I managed to skip over that. My bad. You really can't go wrong for whitetails in region 8. Give the Lumby/Cherryville area a try. Lots of mulies up that way too.

Jelvis
03-11-2012, 08:41 PM
In MU 8-03, the Ashnola range (reached from Highway 3 by crossing the Similkameen river on the bridge five km west of Keremeous) this is a great hunting area. Mule deer g o s and California bighorn sheep on LEH.
Mu 8-15 .. in the Pass Creek area north of Grand forks has excellent deer hunting and lots of hunters too.
MU 8-01 is closer to you Mt Baldy area .. Ski access road and beyond.
MU 8-8 .. The Brenda Mine road from Peachland runs into good mule deer ridges.
Jel .. I have way more but this should keep you busier than a one armed paper hanger .. OK one more
MU 8-12 West Kettle .. The Conkle Lake road, whoa, from Hwy 33 near Beaverdell over the highlands and comes out on Hwy 3 near Bridesville.
Exy Lont .. Should keep you busier than a one legged soccer player ..

rcar
03-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Many guys from the LM hit region 8 as it is easy to reach for a 2 or 3 day hunt without hammering the fuel bill. As a few others have already pointed out there are a lot of decent spots. My little add on piece of advice would be to hunt your 2-4 day window mid week if at all possible. Even during the busier times I don't see many hunters when I go on a Tuesday.

One tip a local guy gave me was that if you are sensitive to gamey deer, to avoid the mulies from Oct 1 and onward. I don't know if that date is exactly true but mulies sure do get stinky when rutting so get 'em before if you can.

Also don't overlook the WT antlerless season if your looking for meat as it is a much easier hunt if you are short on scouting time. Rock Creek and east is a good bet if your freezer is still empty come early October.

Good luck.

Jelvis
03-11-2012, 10:28 PM
MU 8-04 .. Reached from Copper Mountain road from Princeton or from several logging mains running south from Hwy 3 between Princeton and Hedley. This is pretty good mule deer hunting.
MU 8-05 .. The Otter creek road from Princeton bisects the entire length of the MU 8-05 and has roads coming off on either side into mule deer populations. Some of these roads have been blocked off to encourage walk-in hunters to relieve excessive road hunting. Mule deer, some whitetail and some elk.
Jel .. Good luck out of Princeton a wonderful place to see ..

rides bike to work
03-11-2012, 10:37 PM
This is what I like to see on this site some one looking for a little direction instead of going in blind is getting some great info on where to start no honey holes givin but after exploring some of these areas he will have some holes of his own to many times I see some get ripped apart just for asking

snowhunter
03-12-2012, 07:01 AM
At any time, there are about 30-50 deer at Princeton dump. They are well feed :)

BigfishCanada
03-12-2012, 08:18 AM
I used to do great in Penticton each year,

Jelvis
03-12-2012, 09:50 AM
MU 8-09 .. Can provide good mule and whitetail deer and some elk. Mule and whites on the slopes and plateaus of this highland MU.
From Okanagan Falls, roads run east to connect with the old Weyerhauser 201 Main. The many spur roads extend to the Boundary country. Also reached from Penticton-Naramata road which services the Greyback Dam and runs in behind.
If you like hike-ins for elk on rough terrain try the Okanagan Mountain access by Chute Lake road up from Naramata.
Check leh for elk, and gos for deer in MU 8-09. Read B.C. Hunting and Trapping Regulation Synopsis for 2012 before planning too far ahead.
Jp ..

500grhollowpoint
03-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Stay out of 8. The deer a scrawny, stinky and hard to find.

GreatWhitePopogeebo
03-12-2012, 10:15 AM
I've done well at baldy and conkie lake for whitetail ah fun times

BCptown
03-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Jel, thanks for the tips! Again, not trying to invade anyones honey holes.. Just trying to get some general direction! Thanks all :-)

matt420
03-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Stay out of 8. The deer a scrawny, stinky and hard to find.

not sure where you are huting in region 8, cuz i have seen monsters in person easily over 150 inches but most of the monsters i have seen were during bow season and out at the tree lines, also buddy of mine got a 201 inch whitetail from region 8, same guy got a 185 muley in the same season as his 201 inch whitetail, there is nothing wrong with region 8, it holds monsters just have to know where they are...........i have to call you on this one, but in my eyes it just seems like you dont want another hunter in region 8 (cuz it might be one of your spots and you prolly have an idea of how many hunters there are actually crawling around in some places of region 8

phoenix
03-12-2012, 05:43 PM
There are NO animals here, just hunters. I'm going to go the the EK's:mrgreen:
Kim

Jelvis
03-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Region 8: Okanagan
............................. Along the west edge of region 8 the Princeton open-timbered hills hold mule deer, elk and moose plus some whitetails. Along either side of the Okanagan Valley, from Osoyoos to Armstrong, open highland provide pleasant hiking and hunting conditions.
The Boundary district offers some good deer hunting for both mule deer and whitetail deer and remember the mule deer get into the rut sooner than the whites by a couple weeks or so.
Mule bucks start rutting at the very end of October through November.
One place a hunter has to try is the Monashee Summit in MU 8-13. Highway 5 is joined by the Christian Valley road from Westbridge on Highway 33, in MU 8-14, about one third of the way in from the west. There is good whitetail and mule deer hunting to be found by hiking back from Hwy 6 near the summit. Also several access roads off Hwy 6 leading up to alpine country and good mule deer hunting.
Jp. It's the Monashee Summit .. MU 8-13 .. You won't believe what your eyes are seeing ..

Jelvis
03-12-2012, 06:18 PM
MU 8-10
Kelowna-Winfield East
Highway 33 bisects MU 8-10, the old McCulloch and Pipeline roads provide access to much of MU 8-10.
Try the logging mains that run off Hwy 33 for mule deer and whitetails this is good deer hunting country.
From Winfield on Hwy 97, the Beaver-Dee Lakes road runs through the northern part of 8-10, with dang good deer hunting and then coming out onto Hwy 6 at Lavington.
Jel .. Your in the know .. MU 8-10 .. Mission Creek zeek .. more mu's coming

Phreddy
03-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Like Sarg said. Princeton in October. Join the gong show. Be careful though if you're allergic to bullets as there's always a good chance that you will be mistaken for a critter and could break out in a bad case of holes. lol Last estimate was around 10 hunters for every buck, doe, and fawn.

Phreddy
03-13-2012, 10:40 AM
I used to do great in Penticton each year,
So did I. The key words, of course, are "Used to". Too handy to the LML and getting more crowded every year. I tend to head north more now.

Jelvis
03-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Mu 8-15: Must be mentioned to all who hunt mule deer and whitetails and enjoy a good herd of elk folks.
Yes elk, between Christina Lake and the Paulson bridge a good elk herd can be found.
Good deer hunting in the hills around Christina Lake. Some good mule bucks are found east of the lake, access from Hwy 3 where it drops down to the Paulson bridge, also for muleys along the old Santa Rosa Summit road out of Christina Village.
If you want more try a road north from Grand Forks that follows the Granby River. Access roads run back from this road into fair mule and whitetail hunting for most of the length of the main road, which runs all the way over to Edgewood on Arrow Lake. Up Pass Creek 21 km north of Grand Forks has some pretty good mule deer hunting. Road forks 47.5 km above Grand Forks. Left fork runs in past Blue Joint Mountain with good muleys on the spur roads.
Region 8 is great!
Good luck BCptown
Jelly Belly

Jelvis
03-14-2012, 08:00 PM
MU 8-23 Lumby-Harris Creek ... First choice ---> (Access to good deer country via Harris Creek road.) <---
And 2nd, from near Cherryville the Sugar Lake road is sweet running past the lake, and on into Greenbush Lake with different roads running into mountainous terrain. Some mule deer, also mountain goat in the Monashees, (black bear every where in this MU.)
Jelly (Jake Brake) You gotta like to hunt tough country .. MU 8-23 is bounded in the north by the rugged Monashees

SimilkameenSlayer
03-14-2012, 08:11 PM
poor to excellent, is the norm around here ... :mrgreen:

Jelvis
03-14-2012, 08:16 PM
MU 8-26
North Okanagan
Dig this. Fair to good muleys in the hills, --> (reached by Mabel Lake road and Trinity Valley road) <-- which turns off --> (10.3 km east of Enderby) <--
Access problems on several other roads leading to hunting areas in this MU due to some goofy owners lol.
Jp .. mule deer in the hills ..

Rusty Shackles
03-14-2012, 08:24 PM
princeton bc, join every one from the LML in oct for a good time.:)
sarg:)
See you there. Lol

Jelvis
03-14-2012, 08:33 PM
MU 8-22
Wernon lol really Vernon.
Alright to good mule and whitetail deer hunting in the ->( King Edward Lake area)<- with old logging road access.
Also another hot spot is the --> (Aberdeen Lake area) <-- reached from Lavington via logging road which (connects) with the ------> Dee Lake-Beaver Lake road.<-- Popular hunting spot.
J. Presley ..

bosca
03-14-2012, 09:35 PM
In MU 8-03, the Ashnola range (reached from Highway 3 by crossing the Similkameen river on the bridge five km west of Keremeous) this is a great hunting area. Mule deer g o s and California bighorn sheep on LEH.
Mu 8-15 .. in the Pass Creek area north of Grand forks has excellent deer hunting and lots of hunters too.
MU 8-01 is closer to you Mt Baldy area .. Ski access road and beyond.
MU 8-8 .. The Brenda Mine road from Peachland runs into good mule deer ridges.
Jel .. I have way more but this should keep you busier than a one armed paper hanger .. OK one more
MU 8-12 West Kettle .. The Conkle Lake road, whoa, from Hwy 33 near Beaverdell over the highlands and comes out on Hwy 3 near Bridesville.
Exy Lont .. Should keep you busier than a one legged soccer player ..
Wow...Good advice here ...just the areas Jelvis mentions here will keep you busy for a life time. A couple more:
8-6 Missezula Lake area and east...haven't been there for about 10 years. Use to be great for moose and deer...even saw a few elk.
8-5 tulameen area especially in and around the burn area (google earth...you can't miss it) Lots of deer.

Fishhound
03-15-2012, 09:50 AM
You might want to look at 8-12 Big White, Trapping Creek, Carmi Creek and Wilkinson Creek, moose, mule and whitetail, bear, cougar and turkeys

8-09, 8-10 Okanagan Mountain Park, Myra Canyon and Mcolluch, all the above plus elk and monster muleys in the park

Phreddy
03-15-2012, 10:27 AM
See you there. Lol
Along with the rest of the new hunters. I hear they're talking about putting some traffic lights on the Whipsaw?Lamont Creek roads to try to space the hunters out a bit. lol

Iron Glove
03-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Along with the rest of the new hunters. I hear they're talking about putting some traffic lights on the Whipsaw?Lamont Creek roads to try to space the hunters out a bit. lol

I thought that was what the old Coq toll booth was for - to regulate the hunters on Lawless. :confused:

Phreddy
03-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Well Iron Glove, I guess like the rest of the western section of the region it would also apply there.

All I know is that the area is saturated with warriors duriing the season. I wonder what the success percentage is compared to other areas. Seems like we get about 3 or 4 hunters for every deer in the area, counting does and fawns of course, with far more man hours put in for every kill than other areas. Use to be an awsome area back in the 60's and 70's, but not any more. Shame really.

Rusty Shackles
03-15-2012, 12:14 PM
The first time and the last time I was on whipsaw FSR I arrowed a buck from the road. I'm not sure why I don't go back???

Iron Glove
03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Well Iron Glove, I guess like the rest of the western section of the region it would also apply there.

All I know is that the area is saturated with warriors duriing the season. I wonder what the success percentage is compared to other areas. Seems like we get about 3 or 4 hunters for every deer in the area, counting does and fawns of course, with far more man hours put in for every kill than other areas. Use to be an awsome area back in the 60's and 70's, but not any more. Shame really.

Phreddy, you are right on. :)
Thats why I do most of my hunting mid week, Lawless on a weekend is like the Port Mann at rush hour. :)

Jelvis
03-15-2012, 06:31 PM
MU 8-24 & 8-25
Mabel Lake
Good whitetail hunting, some mule deer from main access roads along either side of Mabel Lake.
Black bear are plentiful folks.
Jel .. May Bell ..

finngun
03-15-2012, 07:47 PM
:mrgreen:jell-bell any pictures??:mrgreen:cheers

aggiehunter
03-15-2012, 10:15 PM
BCpTOWN, JUST GO TO WALMART AND PICK UP THE SAME BACKROADS MAP BOOK JELLY IS QUOTING FROM, EASIER THAN READING IT HERE AND IT EVEN HAS MAPS.

3mk
03-16-2012, 05:31 AM
come up for spring turkey. go for the drive and blow your mind

Jelvis
03-16-2012, 02:22 PM
MU 8-02
Keremeos
Reached by Oliver-Cawston backroad. Twin Lake road from Highway 3A and a road 2km west of Yellow Lake (Green Lake road) which leaves Hwy 3A almost opposite the Apex Alpine ski road.
Good muley hunting on high ground away from roads.
Good blue grouse when the weather is conducive for a good hatch of eggs. Bing Boom Bang!
Jelmiester.

bugleboy
11-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Mu 8-15: Must be mentioned to all who hunt mule deer and whitetails and enjoy a good herd of elk folks.
Yes elk, between Christina Lake and the Paulson bridge a good elk herd can be found.
Good deer hunting in the hills around Christina Lake. Some good mule bucks are found east of the lake, access from Hwy 3 where it drops down to the Paulson bridge, also for muleys along the old Santa Rosa Summit road out of Christina Village.
If you want more try a road north from Grand Forks that follows the Granby River. Access roads run back from this road into fair mule and whitetail hunting for most of the length of the main road, which runs all the way over to Edgewood on Arrow Lake. Up Pass Creek 21 km north of Grand Forks has some pretty good mule deer hunting. Road forks 47.5 km above Grand Forks. Left fork runs in past Blue Joint Mountain with good muleys on the spur roads.
Region 8 is great!
Good luck BCptown
Jelly Belly

Yes, definitely a heard of elk between the Paulson bridge and Christina Lake. Would be great hunt on a mountain bike using the old railway bed but since the commencement of the GOS for elk this stretch of NON-MOTORIZED VEHICLES ONLY Rails to Trails property has turned into a thoroughfare for quads. Signs clearly indicate that motorized vehicles are forbidden! What was once a smooth and firm surface that even the most neophyte of bikers could enjoy has deteriorated rapidly into a looser and rougher surface in only several years and will continue to do so unless people start abiding by the rules. Its unfortunate that a small minority of reprobates (maybe not so small in this case based on damage incurred so quickly) ruin things for the majority. This kind of disregard for a simple rule is incomprehensible!

Faw
03-19-2015, 10:11 PM
This is/was an awesome thread.

Liveforthehunt
03-19-2015, 10:21 PM
This is/was an awesome thread.

Lol from a guy who has 10 posts ? Looking for info ?

604redneck
03-20-2015, 04:09 AM
It was a good thread

604redneck
03-20-2015, 04:43 AM
It was a good thread