PDA

View Full Version : One month to Turkey season

jtred
03-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Well only just over a month until spring turkey season. I'm pretty excited for the start of this season not only because it's one of my favourite hunts but also the first season that my oldest daughter will get to hunt with me. She had her youth hunter card last year and we went out a bunch for grouse but this will be her first turkey season. She has been practising with both the 22 and the 17hmr and is deadly with either, so with me calling them I'm hoping we get a tom or jake into her range of 25-30yds or less. I am hesitant to put her on my 410 mainly because I don't want to scare her off guns as she is only ten and the 410 doesn't fit her. I've got a few spots in mind where we can set up(my snowshoeing all winter with the family is in reality scouting they just don't need to know that, my wife is under the impression hunting season ends in November). I really hope I can get her into a nice tasty spring gobbler, we prefer the tenderness of the jakes but I'll take the first legal bird into range. I'm all ready and can't wait for the season to begin. Shotgun all tuned up and been practising my calling for a while, April 15 can't come soon enough.

SHAKER
03-11-2012, 03:32 PM
That for sure....... We're pumped about the upcoming season since I'm going to be hunting with my little guy, he's not even 4 yet but a hunt'n fool already! I didn't cat hunt this winter for the first time in 10 years so getting back out in the bush is going to be great! Gobble Gobble gobble!

huntwriter
03-11-2012, 03:49 PM
That's great news jtred. It's always nice to take kid to their first turkey hunt. I am ready to go too as soon I am done with all my seminars. It's been a long winter and I can't wait to get out to the turkey woods.

BCHoyt
03-11-2012, 04:55 PM
I would love to try turkey hunting with my bow but have no idea where to even start looking for places to go..

Bchunter3006
03-11-2012, 07:13 PM
We've got a lot of birds here in the Kootenays. Hunting out of a pop-up blind is preferable for turkeys with archery gear, but not necessary. PM me and I'll help you out as best I can. I can't hunt turkeys seriously this year, damn grizzly draw is getting in the way :twisted: Just saw a good group of toms and jakes a couple weeks ago that won't be going anywhere, and heard some gobble today! Spring is here!