PDA

View Full Version : Please remember the SFAB meeting Mar 21 7pm at Sheraton IN VICTORIA

lorneparker1
03-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Please remember the SFAB meeting Mar 21 7pm at Sheraton IN VICTORIA

If you are a rec fisherman, and dont like whats been going on PLEASE BE THERE AND HAVE YOUR VOICES HEARD

THIS IS THE ONLY WAY!!

Dont let other people speak for you!

Lorne

lorneparker1
03-17-2012, 06:20 PM
With the current Halibut debacle, and now the proposed JDF salmon closure. If you fish, even for sunfish you need to be there.

IronNoggin
03-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Just a Reminder, this is TONIGHT Folks!

MB_Boy
03-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Wish I could be over there boys and look forward to the updates on SFBC as to how things transpired.

Philcott
03-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Is this on McCallum road?

IronNoggin
03-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Victoria SFAB Committee Meeting

Date: Wednesday 21st March 2012

Time: 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

Sheraton Four Points Victoria Gateway Hotel
829 McCallum Road, Victoria, BC V9B 6W6
(250) 474-6063
(Located on McCallum Rd. beyond Costco – parking is free)

Draft Meeting Agenda:

7:00 p.m. Call to Order, Greetings, Agenda Approval and welcome of guests

7:15 p.m. Chinook Salmon

2012 Early Fraser (Nicola 4-2s) existing measures
2012 Early Summer (Fraser 5-2s) potential new measures
Potential Orca Species At Risk mgmt measures re: Chinook as food

8:40 p.m. 10 minute bio break

8:50 p.m. Halibut - (C. Bos, M. Paish & DFO Brad Beaith)
2012 season expectations
Implications of Min. Ashfield announcement to south VI anglers
What is being done by the SFAB
Prior efforts of SFAB, Hali WG and other angling groups

9:20 p.m. Other Issues update and hatchery/enhancement report (C. Bos) (Crab, prawn, Goldstream and Colquitz oil spill, Esquimalt net pen)

9:30 p.m. Meeting adjourned

ratherbefishin
03-22-2012, 10:21 AM
well,I went-and its appearent the DFO doesn't really know where the endangered runs are dying-or why.The blame the catch all''ocean Survival-but have no answers for why other chinook runs are doing well.One suspicion was confirmed- only a fraction of hatchery fish are fin clipped so many of the ''wild'' salmon we have to release very well could be hatchery fish.

After the meeting I asked the DFO guy if they knew what percentage of salmon mortality was due to commercial/recreational fishing,and he admitted they didn't know.I pointed out the statistic that legal hunting only accounts for 10% of deer mortality-and it wouldn't make much diference to the numbers if they were hunted or not-and could this also be true of salmon?He said he didn't know.

The point was made that in the US ,they have a large viable sports salmon fishery-due to hatcheries,and why had DFO ignored this in favour of concentrating on ''wild'' salmon?

They admitted that the last data they had was in 2006-nearly 6 seasons ago.They said there was no scientific reason to believe fish farm viruses were transfering to wild salmon.

I spent $2000 on guided trips last year-results- one 12 lb halibut ,and 7 chinook on my licence-and if I have to take a 50% reduction in that,I have to seriously consider how badly I want to go fishing

IronNoggin
03-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Quoting from One who was there:

The meeting could be summed up as following:

DFO Does not know if the smolts survive the run out of the Fraser, they have no data.

DFO Does not have data on ocean survival. Since they don't know if the smolts come out of the Fraser or not, they say ocean survival is Poor.

DFO is basing numbers on data from 2006. Since that was only 6 years ago, that data they feel is fine.

So DFO said in a round about way that they don't know a f*cking thing, and the only tool in the box is to cut a fishery that has a (suspected) %11 impact in half..

sniper ren
03-22-2012, 04:05 PM
What a bunch of crap! I can't believe they would shut it down having no idea what is really going on. If there still using data from 2006 why is this the year they pick to shut it down. Why not 6 Years ago? Did DFO give a time line on when we will know? I sure hope they don't close it!