PDA

View Full Version : BC Needs a Game Board too

Fisher-Dude
03-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Alaska Game Board OKs aerial bear control in Kuskokwim region

by Tim Mowry /
tmowry@newsminer.com
03.05.12 - 11:52 am

FAIRBANKS - The Alaska Board of Game on Sunday approved a plan to have state wildlife biologists shoot black and grizzly bears from helicopters in
the middle Kuskokwim River region starting next spring to increase the moose population for local hunters.

The Game Board unanimously approved the action late in the afternoon during a meeting at the Wedgewood Resort in Fairbanks.

The program, which was proposed by the Department of Fish and Game, will
reduce the black and grizzly bear populations in a small portion of Game
Management Unit 19A as low as possible in the spring of 2013 and 2014,
according to a news release issued by the department Sunday night.
State biologists will shoot the bears.

While the Game Board adopted the department's proposal for a bear control
program in unit 19A, it tabled until later in the meeting a controversial
proposal that would allow snaring of bears in six Interior game management
units.

Unit 19A is located about 250 miles southeast of Fairbanks and includes the
villages of Kalskag, Aniak, Sleetmute and Stony River, among others.

The news release did not specify how many bears the department would kill,
only that the populations in a 540-square mile management area will be
reduced "as low as possible."

The department estimates there are between 135 and 160 black bears in the
control area and 10 to 15 brown bears. The department said the two-year plan "will have only a minor effect" on the overall black and brown bear populations in all of Unit 19A. The entire unit encompasses almost
10,000 square miles. Fish and Game estimates the entire unit has 200 grizzly bears and between 2,500 and 3,000 black bears.

"All bears within the 540 square mile area will be removed, but that total
will include many more black bears than grizzlies," Fish and Game
spokeswoman Cathie Harms wrote in an email.

Biologists will salvage the meat of as many of the bears they shoot as
possible and distribute it in local communities.

It marks the second time in two months that the Game Board has approved a plan to allow Fish and Game personnel to shoot grizzly bears from
helicopters. The board in January approved a similar plan to have department personnel shoot grizzlies from helicopters on the North Slope to reduce predation on a rapidly declining musk ox population.

The seven-member Game Board is appointed by the governor and sets bag limits and seasons for game animals. In recent years, the board has moved
aggressively to expand human consumption of moose and caribou by killing
predators, first wolves and more recently bears.

Sunday's action took place on the third day of the Game Board's 10-day
meeting in Fairbanks and followed two days of public testimony during which
61 people spoke on myriad topics addressing the more than 100 proposals the board is considering to change, eliminate or establish hunting regulations throughout the Interior.

Board chairman Cliff Judkins said the Game Board took the action to help
residents living in the central Kuskokwim region. About half of unit 19A is
closed to moose hunting, and the other half is open only to very limited
drawing permit hunts.

"The moose population is very low, and local people depend on moose meat," Judkins said in the news release. "This program will allow moose numbers to rebound much faster than they can now."

An aerial wolf control program has been in place in Unit 19A since 2004.
Private pilots and gunners with permits from the state have reduced the wolf
population by at least 60 percent each year since 2005, but there has been
no increase in moose numbers, according to the department's proposal to the board.

"Adding bear removal to the predation control program should help address
this issue," the department wrote in its proposal.

The moose population in all of unit 19A is estimated between 2,791 and 5,782 moose. At only one-quarter moose per square mile, the moose density rates in the control area are some of the lowest in the entire unit, the department said. A fall moose composition survey in November 2010 showed a calf-to-cow ratio of only 19 calves per 100 cows.

The plan is modeled after a similar program near McGrath in nearby unit 19D
where the department captured more than 100 black and grizzly bears and
moved them to other parts of the state to successfully boost the moose
population in that area. Research conducted in unit 19D between 2001 and
2007 showed that bear predation was the primary mortality factor on moose
calves.

Moving bears was not approved in unit 19A due to concerns from residents of other parts of the state who voiced opposition to moving bears to their
areas and because of the high cost associated with such a program, the
department said in the news release.

The Game Board also adopted a proposal Sunday to allow same-day airborne
hunting for black bears at bait stations in the Interior region, as long as
the hunter is more than 300 feet from the aircraft before shooting. That
proposal was submitted by the Fairbanks Fish and Game Advisory Committee.

The Game Board meeting continues today beginning at 8:30 a.m.

Contact staff writer Tim Mowry at 459-7587.

C newsminer.com (http://newsminer.com/) 2012

Stone Sheep Steve
03-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Now that's what I call complete game "management".

SSS

Ruger4
03-09-2012, 09:33 PM
good read thanx Pat

bridger
03-10-2012, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the post FD. Too bad we don't have wildlife managers with the commitment

bowhunterbruce
03-10-2012, 07:31 AM
great read fd, if only bc's ministry had the kahonas to do whats right instead of doing what gets votes. good for them.
bhb

Fisher-Dude
03-10-2012, 07:52 AM
I've discussed the merits of having a Game Board or Game Commissioner in BC with Ray DeMarchi.

Wildlife managers are beholden to politicians.

Politicians are beholden to whiney voters.

A Game Board or Commissioner is beholden to the science of game management and could call the shots without political interference.

Makes total sense to me, and is working in jurisdictions like Alaska that does what needs to be done.

mcrae
03-10-2012, 08:01 AM
I think a high bear population is something I think allot of people don't consider when considering deer and elk as well. I personally hunt a spring area for black bears because they are in the area looking for fawns and calves of all flavours. I am always pestering my buddies and family to get out and get a black bear. People often don't associate bears, especially black bears, as a predator. I have seen them going after fawns quite a few times in this particular area I hunt I think its why they come into the area.

Fisher-Dude
03-10-2012, 08:12 AM
An acquaintance of mine watched a g-bear kill 22 calf elk in one day on the "calving grounds" on the Fording mine property during a wildlife study.

That's a lot of dead elk!

Bears might be laughing to themselves these days as we throw all of our energies and attention toward the wolf question. Black bears are continuing to expand in numbers, and we NEED to be hunting them, hard.

If you would hunt b-bear for the fun of getting out there in the spring, but don't because you don't like the meat, please consider that local fish and game clubs welcome b-bear meat for their annual banquets, and will gladly help you out.

elkdom
03-10-2012, 08:14 AM
BC MOE prefers to hire " newly out of the door politically biased biologists", give them a job fore LIFE, and nothing much matters, and on the off chance THEY did notice something going a-muck with game numbers and game management ?? they couldn't make an unbiased and sound decision if their very lives depended on it !

Ozone
03-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Can you imagine how much money people like Suzuki and the lawyers would make off this.

elkdom
03-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Can you imagine how much money people like Suzuki and the lawyers would make off this.

ALASKA doesn't give a $hit what Suzuki or his buddies spouts off about,,,

they just tell them to FO, in no uncertain terms

houndogger
03-10-2012, 09:25 AM
An acquaintance of mine watched a g-bear kill 22 calf elk in one day on the "calving grounds" on the Fording mine property during a wildlife study.

That's a lot of dead elk!

Bears might be laughing to themselves these days as we throw all of our energies and attention toward the wolf question. Black bears are continuing to expand in numbers, and we NEED to be hunting them, hard.

If you would hunt b-bear for the fun of getting out there in the spring, but don't because you don't like the meat, please consider that local fish and game clubs welcome b-bear meat for their annual banquets, and will gladly help you out.

They need to drop the bear meat requirement on black bears. Game banquets could never hand all the bear meat people don't want lol...

mcrae
03-10-2012, 09:49 AM
They need to drop the bear meat requirement on black bears. Game banquets could never hand all the bear meat people don't want lol...

I myself prefer the meat to almost all other wild game but I agree if they where to make black bear the same as a grizz I know allot more guys and gals would hunt them. I am a little abnormal in the sense black bear hunting is my favorite time of year. I actually take time off to hunt black bears most of my buddies think I am weird LOL... I personally know if the meat wasn't a requirement I could talk a few more buddies into hunting bears. I can only take so much meat for my family LOL...

Stone Sheep Steve
03-10-2012, 09:56 AM
One major tool that Americans have over Canadians is a tax on all hunting "related" goods that goes into managing wildlife. I forget the name of the fund but it's been in place since the 1930's. The tax is put in place at the manufacturing level.

We need the funds to do the necessary studies and implement the required actions. We just don't have them in BC.

SSS

Ozone
03-10-2012, 11:18 AM
ALASKA doesn't give a $hit what Suzuki or his buddies spouts off about,,,

they just tell them to FO, in no uncertain terms

Sorry, I meant if it were to happen in BC

Ozone
03-10-2012, 11:27 AM

The rule is you must take the meat home. It doesnt say what you have to do with it after that.

houndogger
03-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Yes I'm well aware of that. I am one that does enjoy bear meat and take at least one a year but mostly two. If every hunter out there took just one we would be well ahead of the game.

The Dude
03-10-2012, 12:02 PM
BC already has a Game Board.

http://www.bcgames.org/dotnetnuke/

The Dude
03-10-2012, 12:10 PM
One major tool that Americans have over Canadians is a tax on all hunting "related" goods that goes into managing wildlife. I forget the name of the fund but it's been in place since the 1930's. The tax is put in place at the manufacturing level.

We need the funds to do the necessary studies and implement the required actions. We just don't have them in BC.

SSS

It's called the Pittman Robertson Act, and it's raised over half a Billion dollars for conservation, about half a Billion more than peta ever will.

Walkntalk
03-11-2012, 12:20 PM
"Research conducted in unit 19D between 2001 and
2007 showed that bear predation was the primary mortality factor on moose calves"

Somebody should tell those in Ontario (I think it was) that closed the black bear season there and those that complain about the. Lack bear season out here. I plan on a couple of spring black bear hunts again this year. Lookin' forward to my first blackie sausage cook-up. Mmm, mmm!

Moose Guide
03-11-2012, 02:28 PM
The rule is you must take the meat home. It doesnt say what you have to do with it after that.

Allowing the edible portions to spoil is a chargable offense, you can't just throw it away!

horshur
03-11-2012, 02:34 PM

SSS

that money was used to re introduce wolves.

they used sportsmen's money to make sportsmen obsolete....

Confused
03-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Allowing the edible portions to spoil is a chargable offense, you can't just throw it away!

Yes you can, the regulation only requires that you take it to your permanent residence or a meatcutter. After that you can do what you wish.

Moose Guide
03-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Yes you can, the regulation only requires that you take it to your permanent residence or a meatcutter. After that you can do what you wish.

If you get caught you will be charged with allowing the edible portions of a game animal to spoil! That was one of the charges against Brock Lesnar in Alberta, and often is one of the charges here when someone leaves a critter in the bush. you can give it away or feed it to your dog but you can't just let it rot.

boxhitch
03-12-2012, 08:37 AM

SSSFederal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act
or Pitman-Robertson Act of 1937

http://www.sportsmenslink.org/legislation/State_Policy

Confused
03-12-2012, 09:01 AM
If you get caught you will be charged with allowing the edible portions of a game animal to spoil! That was one of the charges against Brock Lesnar in Alberta, and often is one of the charges here when someone leaves a critter in the bush. you can give it away or feed it to your dog but you can't just let it rot.

You didn't read what was said, once it is at your permenent residence you can do as you wish, edible or not. Leaving it in the bush is totally differnt mattter. Ozone alluded to what you can do once it is home and he is correct. You can feed it to your dog, use it as wolf bait, take it to the dump, what ever you want it belongs to you to do as you wish. Of course this is the BC regulation, I have no idea about other jurisdications.

boxhitch
03-12-2012, 09:48 AM
The bear cull is happening in a small area to benefit sustanence hunters , those that need the moose to feed their families. Not for the benefit of sport hunting.

Maybe BC needs to look at what game for sustanence actually is and who can apply.

GoatGuy
03-12-2012, 10:57 AM
The bear cull is happening in a small area to benefit sustanence hunters , those that need the moose to feed their families. Not for the benefit of sport hunting.

Maybe BC needs to look at what game for sustanence actually is and who can apply.

Don't start thinking strategically, that would make some members completely obsolete.