PDA

View Full Version : Tumtum lake upper adams

GreatWhitePopogeebo
03-09-2012, 08:01 PM
K heading up to the lake with dad he's got grizzly tag which is awsome only concern is which way is better access hwy 1 or 5 and is road good with trailer and hopefully we connect on big bear someone tell me there's bears I'm so happy maybe get me a wolf I should check see if open anyways Oh headin out mid April

yama49
03-09-2012, 08:44 PM
barrier to squam bay then up the adams north, road is decent..

doubled
03-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Hope they aren't hauling out of there when you pull your trailer. That road is tight!!! Make sure you have a CB and call your clicks going in and out.

BigBuck155
03-09-2012, 09:19 PM
barrier to squam bay then up the adams north, road is decent..

Id go this way, been in there a few times and going in the other way sometimes the snow is really bad. But going up this way the road should be cleared.

GreatWhitePopogeebo
03-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Sounds good thanks yeah I was thinkn coming from above finturn fsr I'll go Squam bay route how long u figure gravel road till I get to lake

Jagermeister
03-09-2012, 11:27 PM
barrier to squam bay then up the adams north, road is decent..Last I heard which was earlier in the week, it took 2 hours to go 40 and that was from Skwaam Bay to the upper end of the lake.

yama49
03-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Barrier to adams is paved then you have about 50-60 of gravel. Looks shorther going through vavenby, cant comment on the road that way... good luck
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/up_adams/

yama49
03-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Last I heard which was earlier in the week, it took 2 hours to go 40 and that was from Skwaam Bay to the upper end of the lake.

i was just across the first 19 and it was decent, havent been any farther this year..

avadad
03-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Road through vavenby was easy in november...lots of wolves in the area by the way.

dana
03-10-2012, 07:54 AM
38 kms from Vavenby to the Tum Tum junction. 58 kms up the Tum to the Fin Tum. Road 2 is currently open. Mid April you won't be able to go up the Tum Tum. They haven't plowed it all winter and she won't open up on her own until early May. And at that you will be lucky to get about half way up the Tum. Mid May you probably will be able to make it to the lake but the Fin Tum probably will still have sections impassable. If you take a beater sled you will still need a ton of gas to go all that distance. It's a long ways. Best to hunt that tag near the end of the season.

swampthing
03-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Access can be a bitch. I always took a quad. If you are lucky the snow is hard and you can ride on top of it. Its a road hunt area so walking is an option too. Fun area. Lots of blacks and I see a grizz every time too.

Deeboe
03-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Hunted in there with Swampthing, Bigbuck, and Smoothbor a few years back...seen the 2 largest Grizz i have ever seen in my life.. Good luck on your hunt! I'm sure you'll do well!

TrackerJ
03-10-2012, 11:08 AM
I would take the agate bay route up the adams for sure. I think snowshoes would be handy if your going in april. If i were going I would target the last week of the draw and hope for some warm weather unless you've got sleds. Theres some Gorgeous valleys up there and black bears too. Good Luck

Mr. Dean
03-10-2012, 11:41 AM
38 kms from Vavenby to the Tum Tum junction. 58 kms up the Tum to the Fin Tum. Road 2 is currently open. Mid April you won't be able to go up the Tum Tum. They haven't plowed it all winter and she won't open up on her own until early May. And at that you will be lucky to get about half way up the Tum. Mid May you probably will be able to make it to the lake but the Fin Tum probably will still have sections impassable. If you take a beater sled you will still need a ton of gas to go all that distance. It's a long ways. Best to hunt that tag near the end of the season.

Good advice.

I wouldn't try pulling a trailer over from Vavenby at this time unless I was certain of the rd conditions... Squam would be the better option IMO.

Congrats on the tag; they are there.
Wolves too. :wink: :wink:

dana
03-10-2012, 12:34 PM
They are currently hauling over Rd 2 from the Vavenby side to the Lake. With break up on the way you can guareentee both routes will see the usual ruts and muck during April. If you have you heart set on the early date, you can still hunt the southern part of the unit with limited quad and/or sled access. I've seen grizz pretty much everywhere in that unit. A good early spot to start would be the Molmich. With the recent burn, you can bet there will be the odd grizz hitting the southern slopes that melt off first. They are currently hauling out of Tracy Creek and the Harbour as well. In all 3 areas you can encounter a grizz, although won't be easy. Like I said earlier, best bet is to wait till at least the May long if not the last week and hit the Northern part of the unit. Oliver would be my personal choice, but don't forget Sunset and Cedar either. Also in late May I'd be focusing on main river as the moose calves will be dropping and the grizz will be hunting meat.

GreatWhitePopogeebo
03-10-2012, 03:51 PM
All good advice guys I appreciate it I'm gonna try to convince my old man to hold out till mid may that's gonna b a challenge

GreatWhitePopogeebo
05-16-2012, 07:16 AM
Ok it's mid may I leave thursday goin to vavenby rd2 then up to tumtum I heard road is good so I'm happy with any luck Ill have pic of griZz blackie and some wolves

luckofthedraw
05-16-2012, 07:27 AM
enjoy the hunt and best of luck !

doubled
05-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Good luck on your hunt.

swampthing
05-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Fun place with a good bear poulation. Have fun.

dana
05-16-2012, 09:12 PM
The Tum is now open all the way up to the mine at the top of Oliver. I'd focus on the slides in Oliver if I were you.