PDA

View Full Version : 6-16B Grizzly. Any Advice or Pics of bears in this area?

Caribou_lou
03-09-2012, 02:17 PM
I drew 6-16B.(Along with a few others on the site!)

First year hunting Grizzly in the area. I traveled it a bit last summer and have hunted Black Bears in it before. So I know spots where you may find a grizzly. But like most areas are it depends on how our Spring goes! So any helpful advice or tips would be much appreciated just incase my spots don't hold any bears. I have hunted an Area more inland in May. Was also wondering if this would be an Area I'd want to look at mid to late May, do to how it is more coastal.

If you feel better PMing me I made room in My Inbox.

Thanks again for any advice and I look forward to posting a good story!

Caribou_lou

GrandA
03-09-2012, 03:34 PM
I dont know the area, but I got my first griz last year. I attribute my success to finding areas where snow has slide down the mountain. If I could spot snows parts that were in lower sections of mountains I would quad in as far as I could and walk min 4km a day. I would check the snow for tracks and signs. On my trip I hunted 11 days until I connected and only say 1 sow with 2 cubs and then the one male that I took. For me it came down to luck and hard hard work. I would be cautious walking into open fields, they run quick. - My 2 cents.

Caribou_lou
03-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Hoping for a warm April to get them out early and into the snow. gonna be a challenge to get to the slides I want to get to I think. Snow shoes will most likely be used! I was thinking Skis might be good too for going down snow packed roads. Anyone try that?

cavebear
03-09-2012, 03:54 PM
I ve used cross country skis work great, also alot quiter then snow shoes. but not so good with an animal on your back, you will need snow shoes for the return trip if successful.

GrandA
03-09-2012, 03:57 PM
good idea on snow shoes.. I didn't have a pair, but wish I did..

Caribou_lou
03-09-2012, 04:54 PM
I ve used cross country skis work great, also alot quiter then snow shoes. but not so good with an animal on your back, you will need snow shoes for the return trip if successful.

Good to know. I have a ways to go in, and I know Skis will be much faster than Snowshoes. Only problem is I will have to have my rifle strapped to my pack if on skis because I'll need poles in hand. I prefer carrying my rifle while hunting.

CHEAM
03-09-2012, 05:40 PM
I guided in that general area for a number of years. Most of the larger bears where seen mid to late may. Alice Arm has bears right in town and on the tide flats April and May.Cranberry Junction has Bears in the loging slashes in May. Try all the ones close to the highway as they tend to get over looked.The slides heading into Stewart always have bears and hunters. I hope this helps some.

Caribou_lou
03-09-2012, 06:03 PM
I guided in that general area for a number of years. Most of the larger bears where seen mid to late may. Alice Arm has bears right in town and on the tide flats April and May.Cranberry Junction has Bears in the loging slashes in May. Try all the ones close to the highway as they tend to get over looked.The slides heading into Stewart always have bears and hunters. I hope this helps some.

Gives me a few options. I may look along the Stewart highway a bit. Just unsure on the snow pack in the Spring.

Appreciate the advice! Thank you.

Caribou_lou
03-13-2012, 06:11 PM
This is my last squeeze to try to get info out of you guys! I'm sure there are a few that have hunted this area. Big area that will hold a lot of bears. Must be some successful hunters!

showtimebc
03-13-2012, 06:36 PM
I've hunted in there before, I'll take you in and get you an 8 footer with a 25 inch skull garunteed!

pnbrock
03-13-2012, 07:36 PM
my group has the other three draws, showtime you find all three guaranteed?

showtimebc
03-13-2012, 11:51 PM
just for caribou_lou, he needs lots of help. i'm sure you guys will be fine!

The Dude
03-14-2012, 05:38 AM
Were there more Grizz draws given out this year? Seems like everyone and his cousin has one! :D

adamgarbett
03-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Were there more Grizz draws given out this year? Seems like everyone and his cousin has one! :D

My thoughts as well lebowski

gbear
03-14-2012, 07:04 AM

In some units yes, and in others no. Some were even closed due to sow harvest levels. As an example, this unit talked about in this thread, ended up with 30 permits given out. The original synopsis said that there would only be 4.

Folks can see the final allocation numbers on the LEH website that were posted on January 20th

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/2012SpringGrizzlyLEHAuthorizations.pdf

The Dude
03-14-2012, 07:10 AM
My thoughts as well lebowski

I'm not Lebowski, YOU'RE Lebowski. I'm the Dude, Man!

Caribou_lou
03-14-2012, 07:46 AM
I've hunted in there before, I'll take you in and get you an 8 footer with a 25 inch skull garunteed!

Now that's the Info I was looking for!

pnbrock
03-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Make sure he measures the skull before u shoot!!!

.330 Dakota
03-14-2012, 08:30 AM

You need a flexable tape measure, fast sneakers, and big balls for that trick..lol

BCbillies
03-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Look on Milligan's website for photos of bears from this zone. Most of his come out of here . . . great tag with lots of options from the flats to the mountains and everything in between.

Caribou_lou
03-14-2012, 04:46 PM

I wasn't gonna question how showtime was going to go about that. Leave it up to him though!

Caribou_lou
03-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Look on Milligan's website for photos of bears from this zone. Most of his come out of here . . . great tag with lots of options from the flats to the mountains and everything in between.

That was the next question I was going to ask. Didn't know his area went that far north. We have bumped into him on the Cranberry before. Thanks for the Advice!

Caribou_lou
03-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Just finished looking at his site... Seems like most of his Grizzly bears in the Spring are off the Coast. Fall ones are on the salmon streams. Not many pics of Grizzlies on slides. Something to think about. They seem to take a lot of bears with Archery gear too.

BCbillies
03-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Just finished looking at his site... Seems like most of his Grizzly bears in the Spring are off the Coast. Fall ones are on the salmon streams. Not many pics of Grizzlies on slides. Something to think about. They seem to take a lot of bears with Archery gear too.

10-4. Highest concentration of big bears in the spring = tidal flats and in the fall = salmon streams. Most resident hunters will focus on the slides adjacent to the roads; not something the high paying clients would be fond of.