PDA

View Full Version : BC Turkey Outfitters.

duckslayer
03-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Hello, I'm an avid turkey and waterfowl hunter from southern Ontario, I have been a member of the forum for a number of years now although not very active I check in regular to see the beautiful landscape, turkeys and waterfowl you guys have out there, not to mention all the other game, amazing amazing place!!!! Anyways I was hoping you guys could give me some turkey outfitters from out that way as the searches I have done have come up with a couple but I would like to do as much research as possible and use my options to the fullest. I have had lots of success with our eastern birds here in s. Ont. but not until after a large learning curve and they seem to get craftier and craftier by the year. I ventured to Texas last spring to chase Rio Grand's and was rewarded with a beautiful bird to put me one step closer to a grand slam!! Merriam's are the next on my list and what better place to go after them than right here in Canada. Any info would be great guys as I am hoping to make it out that way next spring and would like to get the ball rolling. I would also consider a swap hunt if anyone would be interested in venturing out my way for an eastern gobbler!! Thanks in advance for any info and good luck this spring!!

I do have plenty of pictures I could post if any of you would be interested.

GoatGuy
03-09-2012, 02:04 PM
You don't need an outfitter to hunt turkeys in BC.

If you want to DIY I'm sure there's a few folks who will point you in the right direction.

.300WSMImpact!
03-09-2012, 11:47 PM
I would recomend to just come out, I dont think you need a resident guide to hunt turkeys, give me a PM I could give you a few general directions

huntwriter
03-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi Duckslayer. As stated in other postings you do not need to hire a guide to hunt turkeys here in BC. However, considering that you make a long trip from another province chances that you get your tom are much greater if you go with an outfitter rather trying to find them yourself. "Kettle River Outfitters" (http://www.kettleriverguides.com/bc_turkey_hunting/ (http://www.kettleriverguides.com)) this the only outfitter here in BC with access to prime turkey land and more importantly has guides that know how to hunt turkeys.

Since you're from Ontario may I pick your brain about eastern turkey hunting in Ontario. What outfitters or places can you recommend? Do non-residents have to make the mandatory turkey hunting course too? I am looking to finish my Canadian Slam and Ontario seem a good place to do that.

GoatGuy
03-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Hi Duckslayer. As stated in other postings you do not need to hire a guide to hunt turkeys here in BC. However, considering that you make a long trip from another province chances that you get your tom are much greater if you go with an outfitter rather trying to find them yourself. "Kettle River Outfitters" (http://www.kettleriverguides.com/bc_turkey_hunting/ (http://www.kettleriverguides.com)) this the only outfitter here in BC with access to prime turkey land and more importantly has guides that know how to hunt turkeys.

Since you're from Ontario may I pick your brain about eastern turkey hunting in Ontario. What outfitters or places can you recommend? Do non-residents have to make the mandatory turkey hunting course too? I am looking to finish my Canadian Slam and Ontario seem a good place to do that.

There are several outfitters in BC with turkeys in their areas and access to 'prime areas'.

That is not a guide-outfitter I would recommend, ever.

huntwriter
03-10-2012, 01:18 PM
There are several outfitters in BC with turkeys in their areas and access to 'prime areas'.
That is rue, but but most do not offer turkey hunting or just on the side as a bonus when booking other hunts, like "Book such and such hunt and kill a turkey in our backyard as a bonus". The guides of these outfitters do not possess the specialized knowledge one must expect of a turkey hunting guide. As an avid turkey hunter myself and former turkey hunting outfitter/guide in America it takes me only a few minutes or a few questions over the phone to figure out what qualities a turkey hunting guide has. ;)

That is not a guide-outfitter I would recommend, ever.I've personally reviewed that outfitter and found that some of his guides are knowledgeable enough to be called "turkey hunting guide". I've no idea what the outfit is like for the other game species they offer as I only was interested in turkey hunting. Of course choosing an outfitter, any outfitter, requires careful research and asking the right questions.

GoatGuy
03-10-2012, 01:33 PM
True, but they only offer turkey hunting on the side as a bonus when booking other hunts. Their guides do not possess the knowledge one can and should expect of a turkey hunting guide. As an avid turkey hunter myself and former turkey hunting outfitter/guide in America it takes me only a few minutes or a few questions over the phone to figure out what qualities a turkey hunting guide has. ;)

I've personally reviewed that outfitter and found that some of his guides are knowledgeable enough to be called "turkey hunting guide". I've no idea what the outfit is like for the other game species they offer as I only was interested in turkey hunting. Of course choosing an outfitter, any outfitter, requires careful research and asking the right questions.

You've interviewed the outfitters in the Okanagan and EK with turkeys in their area?

.300WSMImpact!
03-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Turkeys in BC are not hard to find, an outfitter I don't feel are necessary, that doesn't mean if you use one your odds wouldn't go up because I am sure they would, if you go to the turkeys areas you will have a great opportunity at seeing lots of birds simple, lol

Ruger4
03-10-2012, 05:21 PM
"Kettle River Outfitters" (http://www.kettleriverguides.com/bc_turkey_hunting/ (http://www.kettleriverguides.com)) this the only outfitter here in BC with access to prime turkey land and more importantly has guides that know how to hunt turkeys.

I hope this is your opinion only , "the only outfitter with access to prime turkey land" ??? with that said I must chuckle....

huntwriter
03-10-2012, 05:59 PM
I hope this is your opinion only , "the only outfitter with access to prime turkey land" ??? with that said I must chuckle....

Go read my post again. I said the only outfitter that besides having access to prime turkey country also has guides that have the knowledge to guide turkey hunters. There are a few outfitters in BC with good turkey populations but in my research and the conversations I had with many of them I learned that none, other then one I mentioned, specifically guided turkey hunters or employed guides that are knowledgeable about turkey hunting.

I don't know about anybody else, but if I go turkey hunting in an unfamiliar area, lets say Ontario, and only have a set amount of days I don't waist valuable time looking for an area that holds birds and then spend one or two days scouting and then be left with a couple of days of actual hunting. I hire an outfitter that employs guides that know how to hunt turkeys and then can hunt from the first day to the last of my stay. If I spend the time and money to travel that far to hunt I want to increase my chances of getting a gobbler as much as possible without wasting a good portion of my valuable time on finding a location and scouting. I am almost certain that the OP is of a similar opinion on that.

300H&H
03-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Turkeys in BC are not hard to find, an outfitter I don't feel are necessary, that doesn't mean if you use one your odds wouldn't go up because I am sure they would, if you go to the turkeys areas you will have a great opportunity at seeing lots of birds simple, lol

I think they are hard to find.
I've gone up and down Hwy 97 in Kelowna and have never seen a turkey !
Can you point me to a new spot ?

.300WSMImpact!
03-12-2012, 07:53 AM
I think they are hard to find.
I've gone up and down Hwy 97 in Kelowna and have never seen a turkey !
Can you point me to a new spot ?

Kootneys, I have no clue where to go around the Okanagan

Ruger4
03-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Kootneys, I have no clue where to go around the Okanagan

good call Dwayne , keep the local birds for us :mrgreen:

GoatGuy
03-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Go read my post again. I said the only outfitter that besides having access to prime turkey country also has guides that have the knowledge to guide turkey hunters. There are a few outfitters in BC with good turkey populations but in my research and the conversations I had with many of them I learned that none, other then one I mentioned, specifically guided turkey hunters or employed guides that are knowledgeable about turkey hunting.

I don't know about anybody else, but if I go turkey hunting in an unfamiliar area, lets say Ontario, and only have a set amount of days I don't waist valuable time looking for an area that holds birds and then spend one or two days scouting and then be left with a couple of days of actual hunting. I hire an outfitter that employs guides that know how to hunt turkeys and then can hunt from the first day to the last of my stay. If I spend the time and money to travel that far to hunt I want to increase my chances of getting a gobbler as much as possible without wasting a good portion of my valuable time on finding a location and scouting. I am almost certain that the OP is of a similar opinion on that.

The guys at RMH have put plenty of turkeys on the ground and last I know of they did standalone turkey hunts. Doubt you've talked to them.

How many public land gobblers have you killed in BC?

Jonas111
03-12-2012, 10:31 AM
good call Dwayne , keep the local birds for us :mrgreen:

tell me where they are then they will be for us, not just you ;)

huntwriter
03-12-2012, 05:47 PM
The guys at RMH have put plenty of turkeys on the ground and last I know of they did standalone turkey hunts. Doubt you've talked to them.

No I've not talked to them because I was not provided any information about RMH when I contacted GOABC with the request to supply me the contacts of outfitters that provide guided turkey hunting. I thank you for the information on RMH, I'll add them to my list.

How many public land gobblers have you killed in BC?To this day I've killed 3 BC crown land gobblers. Until last year it has always been somewhat a struggle for me to make time to hunt turkeys with all the seminars and my own turkey guiding outfit in Alabama and Illinois. I've sold the outfit last fall and will now have more time, starting this spring, to hunt BC crown land toms. Of course I still have all the seminars in the spring but I can work around them. :)

duckslayer
03-13-2012, 05:48 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys, I will be sending a few of you some PM's shortly. A freelance hunt would not be out of the question but one of the reasons I would want to go with an outfitter is that there are three of us who would be on the hunt. We actually would rather have a semi guided hunt where we get a run down of the land/property and where the likely roost/strut/travel areas would be then we do the hunting/calling on our own. We all went to Texas last year on a semi guided hunt and enjoyed the challenge of hunting in unfamiliar surroundings and the success was that much more sweeter.

Huntwriter, that is the only outfitter I came up with on a google search, at $2000 for one bird plus all lic and flight wow I could go to Nebraska twice and shoot 4 Merriam's maybe more!!!! I did find another outfitter and have talked with him on the phone, he has way more reasonable rates but sounds and looks like he was more geared to big game and not overly knowledgeable when it comes to turkeys, kinda "on the side" like you said. That might be ok though as I'm confident that as long as we had birds to work we would have some success. The reason I would like to come to BC is to for my Canadian slam as well as a Merriam's for my grand slam. What is the bird population doing out there is it still on the rise or has it peaked out?? I'm sure there are different answers for different areas out there but like I have stated any info would be great as in what areas are holding higher numbers of birds. Do you have any links for maps from the ministry on estimated numbers?? Maybe it would be worth me giving them a call??

S. Ontario has a booming turkey population but there is little crown land to hunt on, most being private farm land with parcels of bush on mostly 1 1/4 mile sections. Everyone has to take the one time turkey coarse but just in the last couple of years they have brought it out on DVD and you can do the exam on Skype (sp??) so you could have the coarse completed before you left BC. I can recommend some good outfitters although I have not used them I know they are some of the best in the area. You are allowed two birds here but only one a day and can only hunt until 7pm. If you would be interested I'm sure could put you onto a bird or two.

BCrams
03-13-2012, 02:01 PM
To this day I've killed 3 BC crown land gobblers.

Any photo's? No mask on. As an outdoor writer, I would assume you'd have lots of photo's for magazine submissions. Proof in the pudding so to speak.

What was the name of the turkey outfit that you owned and sold??

GoatGuy
03-13-2012, 02:03 PM
No I've not talked to them because I was not provided any information about RMH when I contacted GOABC with the request to supply me the contacts of outfitters that provide guided turkey hunting. I thank you for the information on RMH, I'll add them to my list.

To this day I've killed 3 BC crown land gobblers. Until last year it has always been somewhat a struggle for me to make time to hunt turkeys with all the seminars and my own turkey guiding outfit in Alabama and Illinois. I've sold the outfit last fall and will now have more time, starting this spring, to hunt BC crown land toms. Of course I still have all the seminars in the spring but I can work around them. :)

Congratulations, would love to see some pictures.

f350ps
03-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Congratulations, would love to see some pictures.
Don't hold yer breath!! K

Jonas111
03-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Has anyone seen any pictures yet?

Ruger4
03-16-2012, 03:36 PM
turkey season comin !!!!!

Ruger4
05-17-2012, 05:58 AM
To this day I've killed 3 BC crown land gobblers.

...........and how did this spring go ? any pics ? ...............how about pics from the 3 gobblers above ?

bighornbob
05-17-2012, 09:12 AM
...........and how did this spring go ? any pics ? ...............how about pics from the 3 gobblers above ?

Pictures of Othmer with anything killed are far and few. He likes to to talk and write but had no evidense of anything. Oh he did shoot a hybrid deer outside of Merritt:):):):) There are some pictures of him and the 3 point mulie on his BC Outdoors Hunting Blog.

BHB

300H&H
05-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Pictures of Othmer with anything killed are far and few. He likes to to talk and write but had no evidense of anything. Oh he did shoot a hybrid deer outside of Merritt:):):):) There are some pictures of him and the 3 point mulie on his BC Outdoors Hunting Blog.

BHB

Put your money where your mouth is....post all the pictures of the animals YOU have taken !

Oh, and there is no need to trash another HBC member....is there ?