PDA

View Full Version : leh Dall sheep zone 6:28

hms45in
03-08-2012, 07:19 PM
me and a couple buddies drew dall tags in 6:28 and are planning a hunt for the first of august. super excited to go on this adventure!

anyway from what I understand this area is a tough one to hunt and from looking at the maps there are a lot of rugged mountains. the hunt will be a fly in...but where? anyone that has hunted there care to share info?

I am also thinking you could just do a hike in from the Hains highway, again anyone been there done that.

hms45in
03-10-2012, 03:30 PM
from my 1994 copy of the bc big game records it apears that 8 out of 33 entries are from zone 6:28. with names like Duff lake, Silt lake, Ratalet creek, and Takhini river.

The sheep seem pretty spread out here. From my stone hunting experience sheep and especially rams are found in only one specific area (drainage, ridge, or otherwise) of a larger habitat...

any ideas?

budismyhorse
03-10-2012, 06:55 PM
tell a pilot you want to land in Silt Lake and your off to the races ;)

houndogger
03-10-2012, 08:20 PM
tell a pilot you want to land in Silt Lake and your off to the races ;)
Ya good luck with that.

budismyhorse
03-10-2012, 08:29 PM
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....its a secret!!

hms45in
03-10-2012, 10:34 PM
yeah, silt lake looks like a big flat gravel bar on most of my maps...recipe for a float plane wreck? but then again I have done crazier thing in the name of sheep hunting.

hms45in
03-10-2012, 10:48 PM
With fifty tags given out in this area there must be a really low success rate cause from my homework there is only supposed to be 125 resident Dalls in 6:28 of the 500 total for bc. (375 in 6:29. sheep east of Bennett lake are considered stones even though I have seen some very white sheep from there, moon lake outfitters.).

from what I have read on management of Mtn sheep and goats a sustainable harvest is less than the 4% range... so 3 or 4 sheep a year max? who has taken rams here?

bighornbob
03-10-2012, 11:11 PM
The sheep in 6:28 are not resident sheep, they are actually Yukon rams that might come down for the summer. If you look at harvest rates, it usually averages around 2 for the whole unit. A lot of years there are no rams taken in the unit.

Bhb

BCbillies
03-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Expect to wear out a set of soles . . . expect to see few sheep. My buddy went in 3 years ago and saw one sheep . . . turned out to be a dandy!

hms45in
03-11-2012, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=bighornbob;1110000]The sheep in 6:28 are not resident sheep, they are actually Yukon rams that might come down for the summer. If you look at harvest rates, it usually averages around 2 for the whole unit. A lot of years there are no rams taken in the unit.

I can only find harvest data for 2001 2002... I have heard about the seasonal movements of the sheep in 6-28 but have yet to find much more than a mention of its possibility in reports/studies from BC, I have no doubt that it happens though. in one study from the Yukon they found that in a few management units bordering bc the ram to ewe ratio was extremely high. one area bordering 6-28 had only rams, suggesting that even the Yukon population was migrant.

perhaps the best places to look are ranges with high Yukon connectivity???

I am sure (as I can be without having been there) that there are resident sheep in 6-28, perhaps only in a few locations though.

hms45in
03-11-2012, 08:17 AM
[QUOTE=BCbillies;1110010]Expect to wear out a set of soles . . . expect to see few sheep. My buddy went in 3 years ago and saw one sheep . . . turned out to be a dandy!

A 42" er! ?

BCrams
03-11-2012, 11:11 AM
6-28 is a raw and spectacular area to hunt. We saw very few sheep with a couple 2 - 3 yr old rams and we wore out the boot soles.

6-27 have really light coloured sheep and we saw legal rams but we couldn't call them dalls even though a head mount on some of them would leave people thinking you got a dall but the bodies likely have stripes / saddle markings, shades of grey and black tails. Cool looking stone's.