PDA

View Full Version : Maple powder flavoring.

tightgrouper
03-08-2012, 11:53 AM
I have been looking at this product for I know this is what they use in bacon and sausage to get then serious maple flavor in it. I see that other people are using maple flavored bacon in the recipes to help achieve this. I have had zero success using maple syrup. It takes alot of syrup to get that flavor there an then it competes with the salt.

Has any of you had experience with such a product?

Thoughts opinions?

IronNoggin
03-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Maple Powder flavoring is simply dehydrated maple syrup. I did look into it a couple years back, but the high prices scared me off.

We tend to use both maple syrup (pure) and maple flavored bacon in our recipes (posted about our breakfast sausage not long ago). And yes, we use quite a bit of syrup, as in one cup for every 10 pounds as well as the bacon.

Had some pretty good success with just the syrup, but you have to back the salt off considerably.

Would like to know myself if the powder works well, and would be worth the expense. So, will be watching this thread and hoping someone has a little experience with it...

Cheers,
Nog

tightgrouper
03-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Pretty Quite so far for us nog. I was at a pork processer and asked for a bag of maple powderfrom them. they gave me a cup of the stuff. Made my truck wreak of maple. Anyway, I tasted a tiny bit of it and it is not sweet at all so I do not think it could be reduced or dehydrated. I used some is a basic sausage recipe and it was good. Was not quiet like the maple bacon I have had in the store but kinda.

I have ordered some from this store;

http://www.dnrsausagesupplies.ca/cart/products.php?Maple_Flavor_Powder&cPath=11_18&osCsid=6cd15iimd3rrahlk489ndjfak1

I have little idea what it is but I will try it.