PDA

View Full Version : Broadhead Clocking?

Super Matt
03-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Just wondering if you guys have a preference as to how the blades of your broadheads are aligned in relation to the vaves of the arrow, Im more concerned with a fixed three blade. Any input would be great.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-08-2012, 12:49 AM
old school way of thinking is to line them up .... but its far more important in my opinion to get the angles the same .... so the blades and the vanes are not fighting but rather working with one another to induce spin ....

what BHs are you planning on using ... a small profile I wouldnt worry too much about

Bow Walker
03-08-2012, 06:52 PM
I've never worried about lining up the blades with the vanes - you could go nuts trying to do that.

I use blades that are "cut out" in the center - or skeletonized, so that wind planing is a very, very minor issue. Usually not an issue at all.

Super Matt
03-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Im planning on using G5 Monotcs, 1 1/16. I guess they may not be a big deal to tune, not to mention I would have to cut the arrows down and put in new inserts to clock the broadheads.

Onesock
03-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Doesn't matter how they are aligned. More important is that the broadheads are on the shaft straight

J_T
03-09-2012, 09:39 AM
With the two blade I line the broadhead up so the blade is flat on the shelf. My thought is that this gives me lift rather than right or left movement as the arrow is released. With my three blade Montecs I align them all with my fletching. All the same. I suspect it doesn't really matter, but I love consistency.

swamper
03-09-2012, 09:58 AM
It would be a lot easier to leave the inserts as is and just glue new vanes on so that they line up with the BH, rather than cutting arrows and regluing inserts.

Bow Walker
03-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Onesock has the right idea here.

Make sure your shaft is cut straight and the cut end is 90 degrees to the shaft. Make sure your inserts are seated properly and that the insert end is square with the shaft - the G5 ASD is the tool for this job. Then hope that the manufacturer has cut the shoulders of your broadheads square. Get an arrow spinner and use it.

Super Matt
03-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Sounds good, thanks for the chin wag.

E.V.B.H.
03-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Kevin Evans told me that some companies have done extensive testing on this theory, and could find no difference between lined up and not lined up. Worry more about clearing you shelf and fingers. As in don't point one blade straight down.