PDA

View Full Version : 5-13B success (LONG)

farside
10-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Where to start?? Well, we met up with Willyqbc on Wednesday and he showed us out to a great camp spot. We ditched the trailer and headed off on a whirlwind tour of our hunting area with plenty of commentary to go along with drive. The knowledge of a local is priceless as we all know. Got back to camp around dark and Chris bid us a good night and we would meet up Sunday at 6:30am for the start of my moose hunt.

Thursday we drove about familiarizing ourselves with the area, exploring side roads, and remembering how to dodge loaded logging trucks (big fun). Saw plenty of deer and a couple of moose. Headed back to camp with big grins and started to make plans for Friday.

Friday was pretty much as interesting as Thursday with moose and deer sighted. Mr. Farside took a small 3x3 Friday evening. No big deal but significant as it was the 1st deer taken on his dad's old 30-30 and at a range of 324yds.

Saturday morning was my turn as I also took a small 3x3 with the 30-30 but at a much closer 75yds. Bumped into another local and his GSP out grouse hunting and had to chat for a good hr. More tall tales from the bush were heard.

Sunday morning was the start of my reason for even being there. Chris and young Mike showed up and after a coffee refill - off we went. 10 minutes later we stopped to wait for better light when Chris realized that there was a moose standing not 30 feet from the truck. His good eyes decided it was a cow and that some calling might produce. As it turned out, the bull had probably just kicked her calf outta the way and the cow was in a distressed/PO'd state. Not approachable by a bull YET but soon. Anyways we can hear her calling back to Chris like a bull and we can hear another call but from farther away. So into the trees we go and the cow is right there. She turned and left and Chris gave a call and she came charging back. All I did was whisper to Chris "safety off". Definitely had my hair standing on end for a bit. With no bull in sight we headed back to the road. Scott and Ms. Bullwinkle are standing there having a little heart to heart at about 20 feet apart. She was just a bit nutters. Anyways, Scott asks if we saw the bull that went by? Bull?? - what Bull?? Apparently we missed him but Scott swears he was right there. So we move on as the bull that was there was not showing himself and the cow was distressed. Saw another bull about 15 minutes later but he was on the move and no skill on Chris's part would stop him up. I have decided that i hate 12 foot x-mas trees. You can't see a darn thing in them. The day ended with no other sightings of moose but lots of deer the morning was very exciting.

As a side note I must tell all of you that Chris's son Mike is an excellent hunting companion. His behavior was excellent as was his eyesight (bear bear bear). I would not hesitate having him along again. Good job Chris and Sam, you have every reason to be proud.

Monday and Tuesday were slow on moose and deer sightings. The hilight was the company of Mike "oldtimer". Funny how people can come from 2 different places and have much in common and lots to talk about. The day passed with him not getting his deer and us no moose but the company was excellent. Mike got to see what a REAL poor shot I am. Many a chicken flew away from me. I am glad my back was turned to Scott and Mike as i am sure they had quite the commentary going. Finally just let Scott take all the chickens.

Wednesday we were up early as i wanted to walk in behind an area that we had seen moose in before. Walked in and there was nothin but wind.
We drove to the end of the road and decided to take a side branch. Up on top all of a sudden a young bull walked out from behind a pile of logs, Scott and I were out in a sec and Scott called to stop him up as he was on the move. That gave me the time to take aim, and shoot. Bang-Flop and 1 to the back of the head (308 - 180gr - 75 yds). He didn't even take one step. I had clipped the spine in his neck. After all the excitment we realized/remembered that this was our anniversary so a better day all around. Scott went to call Chris for some help and I started to gut the darn thing. By 11:00am Scott and Chris had manhandled him into the back of the truck (these are two strong guys folks) and we were off to "swampers" barn of death to skin him out. Thanks to Chris (swamper) for the use of your barn.

Anyways - long winded but it was a special holiday. Probably one of our best aniversaries ever and we spend them all hunting. Again, special thanks to Chris, young Mike, Mike and Chris. The halibut/salmon fishing offer holds until you darken our door.

Oh Yeah - Pics in the gallery

BlacktailStalker
10-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Congrats sounds like fun! YEs WillyQ and son did more than enough for us as well and also have a more than welcome sign hanging on our door too!

WoodOx
10-21-2006, 11:58 PM
Looks like you had a great time. congratulations on a fun, and successful hunt!

oldtimer
10-22-2006, 05:45 AM
Well folks you couldn't ask for better folks as guests in your neck of the woods. I had a great visit with them welcome them back anytime.
And yes Darcy we are all proud of the grandkids. Mike

oldtimer
10-22-2006, 06:41 AM
Another thing Darcy didn't mention was that after all the skinnin and stuff her other half ( Scott ) was going to be the BIG spender on her anniversary and took her to the A & W for lunch !!!! And she was excited about that. LOL

farside
10-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Yes - he is a thoughtful kind a guy isn't he. I love A&W but the waistline only tolerates it once in a while.

Doe See Doe
10-22-2006, 09:39 AM
What a way to spend an annaversary, lucky you!

willyqbc
10-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Well it was a pleasure to hunt with you both and your welcome around my campfire anytime! I'm happy you were able to connect on some critters, especially Darcy's first moose. And don't let her fool ya with the comments about the cow moose, she stood in there tough when that cow came charging in to 20 yards....I know others who would have left me standing alone with my video camera!!

Come again anytime, and we'll certainly look ya up if/when we ever get to the island!!

Chris

todbartell
10-22-2006, 07:53 PM
324 yards with a 30-30? :| :shock:

30-06
10-22-2006, 08:04 PM
congrates.i was right near 5-13 last week.i wa sin 7-8.well congrates again

Caveman
10-22-2006, 08:09 PM
324 yards with a 30-30? :| :shock: My thoughts exactly, great shot with a 30-30. You didn't have to pick the lead up and throw it the last little bit did you. :lol: :lol: Just kidding, Congrats

willyqbc
10-23-2006, 07:26 AM
......I saw the deer....bullet was darn near perfect location...incredible shot!

Chris

farside
10-24-2006, 04:30 PM
It was a great shot but then hubby knows each and every gun we have and how it shoots with what load. Personally I thought he was a bit nutters to take the shot and that the deer would walk away. Tried to convince him to use his 30-06 but he said no time to goof around digging out the rifle. He says he aimed about 1ft over its back.

Next time you are out that way Chris range find it just for the heck of it. Oldtimer knows which road I think. When you are driving up the road, stop as soon as you can see the top of the hill as that is where we saw him from. Might be some TP there by the side of the road on the left. You know how men are about length and distance.

Might not be 300+ yds but I thinks its gonna be close.