PDA

View Full Version : New to Lillooet and BC and I have Hunting/trapping questions

wanderingwoman
03-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Howdy,

I just moved to the area in December and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for hunting near Lillooet. Apparently one can hunt both mule and white-tailed deer here, and well as Bighorn Sheep. I'm particularly interested in sheep hunting, as I just moved down from Alaska and went on my first Dall sheep hunt last fall. It was the best hunt of my life and I hope to find some awesome, remote hunting grounds for sheep around here too. Dall sheep are super tasty, but what about the sheep around here? Perhaps I'll have to drive up north for this?

I just got my PAL and I am going to challenge the CORE. When do drawings happen here?

bighornbob
03-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Howdy,

I just moved to the area in December and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for hunting near Lillooet. Apparently one can hunt both mule and white-tailed deer here, and well as Bighorn Sheep. I'm particularly interested in sheep hunting, as I just moved down from Alaska and went on my first Dall sheep hunt last fall. It was the best hunt of my life and I hope to find some awesome, remote hunting grounds for sheep around here too. Dall sheep are super tasty, but what about the sheep around here? Perhaps I'll have to drive up north for this?

I just got my PAL and I am going to challenge the CORE. When do drawings happen here?

You have to be a resident for 6 months before you do anything in regards to the Wildlife Act. So you cant take your CORE "Legally" until you have lived here for 6 months.

Draws come out in May so you are probably out of luck with those two. Thought you might have a chance, but with the way buerocracy (sp) goes, once you challenge CORE it still might be a bit of wait to get your Hunter Number to apply for the draws.

On those notes, dont woory too much about the draws, you will have your CORE well before the September hunting season rolls around. Tons of game to hunt with an over the counter tag. If you head up north its even more game.

BHB

xcaribooer
03-07-2012, 02:57 PM
I would get yourself a 4x4 if you dont already have one and just start exploring the many forest service roads,do some hikes too,lots of great deer hunting near by.

kennyj
03-07-2012, 07:45 PM
There's a good sheep population in the area. If you want to hunt bighorn sheep you'll have fun. Lots of big mule deer as well.
kenny

03-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Best get yourself EDUCATED on legal RAM in your AREA ...........

MANY MANY ILLEGAL RAMS SHOT ......... I don't think you qualify for LEH yet either because your a new resident ..........

YOUR NEXT SHEEP KILL may be many many many years away.

Welcome to BC

CT

oscar makonka
03-07-2012, 09:42 PM
YOUR NEXT SHEEP KILL may be many many many years away.

Why do you say that? She could shoot one this fall. Is there not a general open season in that area? If not she could get drawn next year.

buck nash
03-07-2012, 10:55 PM
If you challenge your core you can go to the bcwf office that day, get your membership then take that to service bc office and have your hunter number right there on the spot. You do have to be a resident for at least 6 months to do this legally though.

huntwriter
03-07-2012, 11:21 PM
If you challenge your core you can go to the bcwf office that day, get your membership then take that to service bc office and have your hunter number right there on the spot. You do have to be a resident for at least 6 months to do this legally though.

Driving over 500 km (round trip) to get the hunter number earlier??????? :) :) Are you serious?

buck nash
03-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Driving over 500 km (round trip) to get the hunter number earlier??????? :) :) Are you serious?

Yeah well I don't know where the nearest bcwf or service bc offices to her are. Who knows maybe she comes into burnaby and mapleridge for other reasons as well. My point is there is no need to worry about lengthy delays due to beurocracy etc.

Besides, I'd do a day trip into the lowermainland to get my hunter number if it was the difference between hunting for sheep this year or waiting til next.

wanderingwoman
03-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all the information. I just went over the CORE manual and I can challenge that no problem, as soon as it is legal for me to do so. Someone also said that I may be able to just turn in my Alaska hunting permit and they may not make me take the CORE anyways.

On another note- To Curlytop- Sheep hunting for me is about the hunt, NOT necessarily the kill. That's why it's called hunting. Climbing over that ridge to see if that group of rams that was hanging there yesterday is still there today. Watching rams for hours on end, knowing that even if there are no legal rams in the group this year, then maybe next year there will be as they will get older. Backpacking in the bush for days on end, hoping that some legal rams will grace me with their presence. I am a wildlife biologist. I know what a legal ram looks like and if there is ever any question in my mind I don't take the shot. But thanks for the advice.

03-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Gee thanks for TELLING ME what SHEEP hunting IS ALL about ........ I had no clue ...........

Just giving ya the straight goods on the Rams in your area, maybe you will get lucky, who knows, the area that you speak of has specific regs .... not just F/C ..... many have made bad mistakes there ending up with charges laid ....... BUT there are a couple usually taken every year ....... maybe you'll be lucky ....... getting a LEH draw will increase your odds on getting a Ram too. Also, your odd's go down when the LOCALS that live there hunt shoot kill and don't even retrieve what they have shot ......... I MIGHT ADD WITHOUT CHARGES! Spoiling it for many that are trying to put more Sheep on the Mountain, biologists, WSSBC, Volunteers etc. There are 2 sets of rules in this province you will find that out soon enough if you have not already.

CT

millman911
03-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Welcome to the area. I live in Lytton and could show you some area around here. Few good rams around.

RoscoeP
03-15-2012, 11:36 AM
I live on the island but have hunted near Lillooet in the past, beautiful country. My wife and I have also talked about moving there but may be to set in our ways? There are some nice Mule deer all over the area, we used to hunt on Mission Ridge above Carpenter lake. Good luck with the sheep hunting. Cheers Roscoe

nature girl
03-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Lillooet is a real nice place. I Usually go hunting there a few times a year or more. If you like high country that is the place to go. Some great places to hike. They have a hiking book for lillooet. Ill warn you though one time in April I was hunting and walking thru grass and dang if my friend didnt say" I have a tick on me. We all looked and of course. We all had ticks on us. I had about 9 on me.Yuk. But for all the other times we have been there that was only the one time I have seen them on me in Lillooet.
P.M. And Ill tell you some hiking places to try out.

REMINGTON JIM
03-15-2012, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=curly top;1112771]Gee thanks for TELLING ME what SHEEP hunting IS ALL about ........ I had no clue ...........

Oh - don't get so pissy ! she didn't mean nothin by what she said ! Cheers RJ :)

wildcatter
03-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Hi,

There is a sheep open season in 3-17, 3-31 and 3-32 all not too far from Lillooet.
I have been up there many times, mostly 3-32 and could give you some ideas.
Like they said before me, mulie hunting is pretty good too.
Cheers