PDA

View Full Version : okanagan turkey help

nowheels
03-07-2012, 12:57 AM
hey guys,
im looking to do my first turkey hunt this spring in region 8
the problem is due to work and school my hunt buddy and I are only able to make it out for 1 day, so no chance to scout out a good location. im hoping someone may be able to point us in the right direction so we can bring home a couple toms

Thanks

Singleshotneeded
03-07-2012, 01:02 AM
The Kootenays...

OutWest
03-07-2012, 01:12 AM
There's a few guys here who know Okanagan turkeys pretty well so you shouldn't have a problem getting in to some birds. I'll pm ya with some info as well.

nowheels
03-07-2012, 01:27 AM
weve only got one day and were coming from the fraser valley so the kootenays are a little far

nowheels
03-07-2012, 01:27 AM
thanks nick, appreciate it

huntwriter
03-07-2012, 05:28 AM
hey guys,
the problem is due to work and school my hunt buddy and I are only able to make it out for 1 day, so no chance to scout out a good location. im hoping someone may be able to point us in the right direction so we can bring home a couple toms

Thanks

Boy that a though one. First time turkey hunting + only one day + no time to scout = you need a lot of luck. If you haven't learned to call turkeys you chances are almost down to zero. My advice would be to go where there are lots of turkeys and maybe you're lucky to run into a bird. Try Christina Lake. Lots of turkeys there but also lots of hunters. Try to go during the week rather then on a weekend. You will see most turkeys are in town but if you go further up into the hills and off the beaten track and do some crow calling you will get a response of a tom or two.

Best of luck. PM me if you need some hunting tactic advice.

Good Old Outdoors
03-07-2012, 09:58 AM
hey guys,

Thanks
You're not the only one in that situation! My job wants to send me to the states during opening day for a week. I have the gear I need and have been trying to fine tune my calling but have no idea where to start scouting. Once i do get out I will send you a PM with some results if you like. Im going to be scouting in the Okanagan first then the Kootneys if i find nothing.

Happy hunting

Fishhound
03-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Check out the Beaverdell area and Trapping Creek road

jonz
03-07-2012, 07:12 PM
I've never seen a wild turkey and have been in the bush a lot around here.

cameron0518
03-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Safeway or Save-on will only take a few minutes since you are short on time. Tell everyone that it is your first turkey and cook it up for them. Nobody will be the wiser.

Singleshotneeded
03-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Nowheels, I wasn't trying to be funny, most of the turkeys in the South Okanagan are on private property.
They don't seem to be around in serious quantities until you get to Christina Lake and points east. Nick, if
you know a spot in the valley send me a pm and I'll tell you where there's a flock not far away...a wee trade. :-)