PDA

View Full Version : input/advice appreciated for MU areas

stinney
03-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Hey,

So I'm beginning to plan a moose hunting trip and am planning to try a new spot. I'm looking (hopefully) for some input and advice from you guys as we have no clue really where to go aside from our usual spots.

I live in the lower mainland and am looking for somewhere that's an 8 hour drive where we can set up camp for 6 days and hike the surrounding area.

Just from looking on a map some area's that caught my eye are MU 3-40 and 3-45. MU 4-37 4-38. MU 5-12 near Anahim Lake and 8-26 and 8-25. If you guys have any opinions or thoughts it would be greatly appreciated. Or if you have somewhere else you think I should venture out and try recommendations are also very welcome.

I realize it's tricky to talk about areas and am not looking to specifics just generally what works what would be best to avoid. General reply or pm me. Thanks in advance.

The Dawg
03-07-2012, 12:21 AM
When are you thinking of going?

What kind of gear do you have ? (Wall tent, quads, trailers etc)

Do you have any way of keeping the meat cool if need be?

Are you looking for a GOS, calf, LEH?

Lots of things to consider before hand. Maybe answer some of those, and you will get a lot more answers I would think.

CraigOC
03-07-2012, 12:39 AM
I believe 5-12 is LEH only for moose. My friend hunted it last year, bagged one moose, other than that it was pretty sparse in terms of other wildlife. It is not allowed to use motorized transport in that zone I think. I've spent a few summers up in Nimpo Lake which is about 10 minutes from Anahim, you have to make sure all your gear/cars/trucks etc are locked up tight, some of the locals(not ALL, just some) have caused some issues up there before. Lots of low lying brush areas but Lord Tweedsmuir runs right through the area as well. Best of luck to you!

stinney
03-09-2012, 10:23 PM
sorry should have mentioned earlier. time wise looking to go mid rut early october. planning LEH moose (if the lottery gods are willing!). gear wise trailors and quads and yes we have storage for meat.

@craigOC thanks for the input.

KB90
03-09-2012, 10:32 PM
You shouldn't plan an leh hunt before you get it. :)

I would be planning to go somewhere with a GOS for moose (immature, calf, or 7B) first and then if you get lucky enough to get a moose leh start your research then.

Or put in for an area that has both LEH and a immy gos, and you're good either way!