PDA

View Full Version : Help With Target/3D Set Up

blaker_99
03-06-2012, 03:21 PM
My 15 year old brother has been shooting compound bows for over 5 years now and is really enjoying the hobby. He is a very strong little guy who can handle a 60lb draw weight. He has been shooting indoor target shoots and is doing quite well at them. He now wants to take it to the next level by purchasing a target bow and keep his current bow as his hunting bow. I know it's a pretty decent chunk of change to purchase a brand new set up but my dad wants to get a complete set up for his birthday. What a lucky kid!!! I think we have a bow picked out and that would be the Hoyt AlphaElite. The next step would be to decide on a sight (angel sight?) not sure possibly spothogg. Followed by a stabilizer and or side stabilizer, release back tension or short and sweet by tru ball, and then a rest. I know a lot about hunting set ups but target is a new thing to me. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Hope everyone is enjoying the nice weather!!

Blaker_99

blaker_99
03-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Bump to top, I know there's a bunch of you guys getting home from work who have some great info to pass on.

bugler
03-06-2012, 08:11 PM
For target shooting lean toward longer axle to axle and a bit longer brace height than average. Hoyt Protec, Matthews Conquest, some APA and Alpine bows also producing results on the provincial level with kids that age. Drop away or spring steel rest. Movable sight by Sure Loc or Axxel, (or others) magnifying lens. Unfortunately, target archery is where all the expensive stuff lives.

60 lb draw is the maximum for most compound target catergories. You want something he can draw without straining because many arrows are shot in a day. He might be able to pull 60 on the 3-D course but I'm thinking that you want closer to 50 for target, at least for now. Likely a 50 to 60 lb range is the ticket. Most people, particularly teenage boys, are over bowed. One is almost guaranteed to fail at the target game if they insist on shooting a high draw weight. Target panic will almost certainly set in.

The kids that I help coach mostly use back tension or thumb barrel type of release. If they use a trigger it is the short and sweet.

If you have a local shop that will let you try different stuff before purchase it is a huge help. We are soooo lucky to have Kevin Evans here. Our kids get to try all kinds of sights and releases before they decide on what they like.

blaker_99
03-06-2012, 08:18 PM
That's awsome information. Thanks so much. I was thinking of a longer bow as well in a 40-41" axle to axle but I have read great things about the AlphaElite. My dad was considering coming out to the koots and checking out some archery shop as he runs both his dogs near Cranbrook. What shops would you reccomend? Thanks again for the info keep it coming I have lots to learn.

bugler
03-06-2012, 08:51 PM
For all things bow and arrow contact Kevin at Kootenay Archery. He has a small shop in Jaffray, which is about 1/2 way between Cranbrook and Fernie. Google it to get phone and contact info. Super knowledgeable (world champion), super helpful and all around great guy. And he has a soft spot for kids, does what he can to help them succeed in the sport.

Bow Walker
03-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Very good information bugler.....and x2 on Kootenay Archery - Kevan really knows his stuff and is a super guy to deal with.

Very good advice about losing some poundage for a target set up. Many target guys use what is considered a low poundage bow and heavy aluminum arrows - it really helps them with the steadiness of their aim and their ability to shoot a lot of arrows, which is the norm for targets.