PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Northern BC

Tuckster
03-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Hello,

I just moved out here from Ontario for school and would like to take advantage of some of BC's awesome hunting this fall. My father is planning a trip out here in August and i was hoping to take him out as i see many of the seasons start Aug 15th.

I was hoping people might be able to get me some advice as to what might be a good target. What species up northeastern BC have good chance of harvesting an animal and decent road/logging road/hiking access? Mule Deer, Caribou? Mountain Goat? Elk?

I would really love to hear what you all might have to say.

The Dawg
03-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Im sure people are going to pipe up and say the following.

1) Make sure you fulfill the 'lived in BC long enough' requirements.
2) Your father cant hunt out here without a 'permit to accompany' certificate.

The Saints on here tend to jump quick on those points.

Me, I'd say have a blast- where's your base camp going to be from, that would help point you in some directions.

Rackmastr
03-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Oh....and tell a joke first before lookin for info....it will help!!!

BC has a ton to offer for sure....do lots of reading through the hunting regs about residency, areas, permit to accompany, LEH vs GOS, etc, etc...there is a TON of info for sure!! Before I moved I printed off everything I could and have tried to learn it and absorb as much info as possible.....

Good luck in the planning...northern BC is pretty awesome!

sako_300
03-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Good luck in the planning...northern BC is pretty awesome!

Wrong... it sucks. Cold and snowing. Who the hell lives here?

tuner
03-05-2012, 10:09 PM
welcome to bc ! i think you have to reside here for six months before applying for bc resident hunter card. if you're into hunting you've picked the right place to live work and play,there simply nothing like it in north america, the variety of game spicies here is incredible, along with relativly generous, general open seasons for big game. as far as NE bc, i've only passed through and have not hunted there ,but there are alot of folks on this site that have and do hunt the area and should be able to point you in the right direction.

Moose Guide
03-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Page 9 of the regs says you can't get a permit to accompany(guide you dad) unless you have held a B.C. license and big game species license 3 of the last 5 years or 2 in the last 5 years if you have completed a C.O.R.E. course. You will probably have to find a different resident to get the permit for your dad, so start looking now, maybe start by joining a rod and gun club and making friends with other hunters. Good luck and have fun!

Brett
03-05-2012, 10:36 PM
you have to wait 6 months before getting your hunter number, or your supposed to......you need ID and a utility bill to prove where you live... they don't check how long ( to be honest). You can take your Dad hunting, just don't let him have a gun! make him be your pack mule :)

Where are you going to school?

elkdom
03-06-2012, 10:07 AM
you have to wait 6 months before getting your hunter number, or your supposed to......you need ID and a utility bill to prove where you live... they don't check how long ( to be honest). You can take your Dad hunting, just don't let him have a gun! make him be your pack mule :)

Where are you going to school?

your "pappy" can buy a small game/upland bird/ non-resident BC Hunting license with NO hassle and carry a firearm while accompanying you

proguide66
03-06-2012, 10:11 AM
You have to live in B.C. for minimum 5 yrs before you can ask for FREE knowlegde on HBC,:razz:

elkdom
03-06-2012, 10:16 AM
You have to live in B.C. for minimum 5 yrs before you can ask for FREE knowlegde on HBC,:razz:

take notice of the spelling of "knowledge" above in the post" :neutral:

this IS true ! ,,,and most of that FREE knowledge ?, is forgettable immediately :?

proguide66
03-06-2012, 10:29 AM
haha english teacher huh? ....:lol: I never use spellcheck , unless required!

elkdom
03-06-2012, 10:36 AM
haha english teacher huh? ....:lol: I never use spellcheck , unless required!

anglees !,,,,,,,,, ees nut awl dat tuf 2 cumyuneekate

jus luc at huor PAWLEETEESHUNS ! :?

vip_ruger
03-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Where did you move to in northern bc ? That would be a good place to start as into what animals u could hunt

bridger
03-06-2012, 12:55 PM

all the smart people

Tuckster
03-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks for all of the replies and advice everyone!

I've looked into much of the regs here, i moved out here in September, so I just passed my 6 months for residency. I did not know that I needed to have hunted big game for the last 5 years to get a permit to accompany though. I suppose upland game might be an option if i can't find a buddy who is willing to come with.

I'm used to travelling 20-24 hours to get to a hunting spot in Ontario so all of B.C. is fair territory for me to get to and camp out for a bit. My dad is interesed in seeing the province as well, so I am really only restricted by access as to where I am willing to hunt. I'm in vancouver attending UBC currently and plan to try to find a spot for waterfowl and blacktails come the fall. I'd love to try and go for something we don't have in Ontario, so Caribou, Ellk, Goat, Mule Deer etc and am pretty much willing to go anywhere the hunting is good. I specified the northern part of BC as the seasons seem to open up around the 15th of August up that way.

sawmill
03-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Yeah,it`s always fun dealing with a moose in August when it`s 33 in the shade.

sako_300
03-06-2012, 02:11 PM
all the smart people

I'll consider myself in good company then...

Foxton Gundogs
03-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks for all of the replies and advice everyone!

I've looked into much of the regs here, i moved out here in September, so I just passed my 6 months for residency. I did not know that I needed to have hunted big game for the last 5 years to get a permit to accompany though. I suppose upland game might be an option if i can't find a buddy who is willing to come with.

I'm used to travelling 20-24 hours to get to a hunting spot in Ontario so all of B.C. is fair territory for me to get to and camp out for a bit. My dad is interesed in seeing the province as well, so I am really only restricted by access as to where I am willing to hunt. I'm in vancouver attending UBC currently and plan to try to find a spot for waterfowl and blacktails come the fall. I'd love to try and go for something we don't have in Ontario, so Caribou, Ellk, Goat, Mule Deer etc and am pretty much willing to go anywhere the hunting is good. I specified the northern part of BC as the seasons seem to open up around the 15th of August up that way.

Still no joke?....all info and advice must cease immediately untill that is rectiffied immediately as required by HBC law as outlined on Page 105 of the B.C. Hunting/Traping Regs.:twisted::mrgreen:

Foxton Gundogs
03-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Oh btw...........welcome lol!

TIKA 300
03-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Just spent 9 weeks in northern BC -40 on the warm days,12' of snow on august 15th,i would run the opposite direction !!!!!
Beautiful country,wish i lived there...............