PDA

View Full Version : Recurve for a beginner?

Iron Sighted
03-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Beginner here looking to get my first bow. I have no past experience at all, but I have decided that traditional bows are the only ones that hold appeal for me,take-down recurves in particular(though I have seen some nice modern longbows as well, so maybe one in the future). I plan to shoot instinctive.

I was hoping some of you more experienced archers could maybe make some suggestions as to what might be a good starter bow. So far the Samick Sage has caught my attention more than any others, due to the extremely affordable price and the fact that I haven't seen a negative review of it anywhere(and about 1000 positive ones). I was thinking of getting one with 30-35# limbs and then maybe buying some 45-50# limbs in a few months when my form, skill, and muscle development allow for it, and then ultimately getting a nicer one sometime in the future(Checkmate Hunter III maybe?).

Anyways, I'd be happy to hear your suggestions and opinions and any nuggets of wisdom you'd like to impart. I plan to hunt and target shoot if it makes any difference, though hunting will not be happening until I feel confident in my skills, so I guess target first primarily.

I love that I will be able to practice anytime I want in my backyard, I don't know what kept me from pursuing this sport previously but I'm glad I've gotten past whatever it was, I know this is gonna be fun!

Also I'd love to hear opinions on youth bows, my 8 year old daughter has told me she'd like to start in archery as well(thinking a recurve here again). Being able to practice with her will make the sport all the more enjoyable. Any tips for her development are appreciated.

Bow Walker
03-05-2012, 09:27 PM
I'd probably go with the 40-45 pound limbs right from the get-go. 10 pounds isn't much in a recurve, and if you get good enough you can hunt with it at that poundage.

Go with the Sage if it looks/feels right to you.

Red_Mist
03-05-2012, 09:49 PM
kinda thinking of getting one as well. more for target than hunting for me though. i'll have to look at the sage, mostly looked at pse so far. Lots to choose from, i'd like to see what guys suggest.

Iron Sighted
03-05-2012, 11:17 PM
I'd probably go with the 40-45 pound limbs right from the get-go. 10 pounds isn't much in a recurve, and if you get good enough you can hunt with it at that poundage.

Go with the Sage if it looks/feels right to you.

Thanks, I'd prefer the higher draw weight in a way because I may not need to buy an extra set of limbs if I get a 40-45# set to start as you suggest, I just had heard it is best to start very light to get your technique down. I will give some thought to what you said before I do make a purchase for sure, thanks for your input.

Grantmac
03-05-2012, 11:54 PM
I vote for the 30# limbs, then you can practice longer and with more consistency.

Certainly the average adult male can learn well enough to hunt with 40#, but if you want to be a successful target archer then its worth starting light.

Sage limbs are cheap, cheaper than having the relearn your shot due to overbowing.

-Grant

Iron Sighted
03-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Grant, if I were to start light, what is a reasonable step up in limb weight from 30#'s or so? I'd prefer to not buy more than one additional set of limbs, so is jumping from 30 up to 50#'s(where I'd like to get to for hunting) too much in your opinion? I'd assume the light limbs would be good(preferable?) for target archery even after I was able to shoot at a higher poundage?

Thanks

Bow Walker
03-06-2012, 10:43 AM
A 40-45 lb bow is not hard (or tiring) at all to draw and shoot for practice sessions.

A man with an average build can be expected to shoot such a bow for a good hour or more before tiring.

I know that I have advised lighter weight bows for practicing in the past - and will again in the future - but that is for compound bows, not recurves or long bows.

Monashee
03-06-2012, 04:06 PM
This is the Target Archery forum , not hunting . Why is it that all archery authors when discussing recurve bow weights for MEN who are learning advise 30 -35 # at their draw length ? Who should we believe ?

I have had the good fortune in my 35 years of recurve bow shooting to learn from a Provincial Target Archery Champion and a pro competitor at the Las Vegas Target Championships , stickbow shooters both recurve and longbow. These fellows in turn learned from many other serious target shooters - the collective distilled wisdom would take several lifetimes to accumulate . Neither one advocates a bow over 35# for beginning , nor do they infer that archery is a strength contest or some kind of weird macho thing . Take from that what you will .

Grantmac
03-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Depending on your draw-length it might be preferable to even go with lower than 30# limbs. Ideally you want 30# or under at your draw.
40# are fine hunting limbs, far batter to make an excellent shot with a lighter bow then a crap shot with a heavy one. Also think about drawing a bow when you are cold and cramped.
I've got trad bows from 30# to 70#, I shoot 30-38# for target work. I hunt with 45#.

-Grant

Bow Walker
03-07-2012, 03:59 PM
If money is not an issue then yes - go with light weight limbs and work your way up to something like a 50# pull at 28".

Start with a set of 25# limbs, then got to 35#, then 40# and finally arrive at 45# or 50# limbs. When I took lessons from an certified Olympic coach, we did start using 20# bows.

Iron Sighted
03-07-2012, 04:39 PM
If money is not an issue then yes - go with light weight limbs and work your way up to something like a 50# pull at 28".

Start with a set of 25# limbs, then got to 35#, then 40# and finally arrive at 45# or 50# limbs. When I took lessons from an certified Olympic coach, we did start using 20# bows.

Sadly, money is somewhat of an issue, that is why I am looking at the Sage(as well as the good reviews it has gotten), I can pick up another set of limbs quite cheaply, but I'd rather not have to buy more than one extra set so I am wondering what is reasonable step up in weight between sets of limbs. I'm hoping to buy the second set with at least 45#'s so I have something decent enough to take a deer with this fall because I likely won't have the money to buy a dedicated hunting bow by this fall.

hunter1993ap
03-07-2012, 05:19 PM
i would go with the 45-50 pound limbs. if you get tired at the start you will quickly build up the muscle you need. 30 -35 pounds is so small i dont believe it would be worth it to start with such small limbs.

Bow Walker
03-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Well - I'd probably go with the 30# or 35# limbs and then jump right into the 45# or even 50# limbs once I'd gotten to the point where the 35# limbs were easy to shoot for an extended practice session of say, 2 to 3 hours length.

But that's just me - and I don't have an unlimited budget...........

Iron Sighted
03-07-2012, 09:34 PM
But that's just me - and I don't have an unlimited budget...........

You and me both, I wish the sky was the limit but that just ain't the case. I still have to get an archery set up for my eight year old daughter and now my six year old girl is asking for one too, could be much worse though, at least they aren't asking for an iPad or a pony lol. Now watch the little buggers show me up when it comes to slinging arrows.....

Grantmac
03-08-2012, 09:31 AM
40# will kill any deer you meet.
Go with 30# and then get the 40#.

Ultimately your bow will be cheap compared to the other equipment required to bow-hunt. Trying to save money during the learning process will just lead to lost opportunities later on.

-Grant

Iron Sighted
03-11-2012, 01:01 AM
I'm having a helluva time finding someone in this province that carries the Sage or Samicks in general, anyone know who to contact? I am on the verge now of just ordering through 3 Rivers Archery in the U.S. as I can get everything I want there and they have a really good website with tons to choose from, has anyone bought from them before and if so, what did you think?

E.B.
03-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Get in touch with Dennis at Gitrdone archery in calgary, google gitrdone and get it done.

Iron Sighted
03-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Get in touch with Dennis at Gitrdone archery in calgary, google gitrdone and get it done.

I tried calling him a few times throughout last week and emailed him Fri., haven't heard back yet. I'll wait a bit more to hear back from him as I hear he is great to deal with and to be fair, I never left a message those times I tried calling him. Hopefully he can help me out, I'd rather buy in Canada if the prices aren't too much more than I'd pay online.

aggiehunter
03-11-2012, 11:15 AM
If you could give us a little more info on your stature (size) then maybe I could suggest a poundage for you. Samick's are Ok but I'm a Chekmate fan...you might check the classifieds too...I've got some great deals on used bows.

Iron Sighted
03-11-2012, 03:14 PM
If you could give us a little more info on your stature (size) then maybe I could suggest a poundage for you. Samick's are Ok but I'm a Chekmate fan...you might check the classifieds too...I've got some great deals on used bows.

I'm about 5'10" and 175lbs or so. I'd be interested in hearing what you've got available, feel free to send me a pm or reply here. Reason the Samick Sage has caught my eye is that is very reasonably priced and is rumored to be a very good bow for the money. That, along with the fact that I can get a second set of heavier limbs to use when my form and technique improve enough to warrant buying them have got leaning in that direction but I'm open to suggestions.