PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help getting into archery

flyhigh_206
03-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Hey all, been thinking about getting into archery this mainly for hunting but probably some target shoots as well but i've got a few questions. First ive never really shot a bow so i really dont know whether i would shoot right or left handed, and second what would be a decent affordable compound bow to start with. thanks for all your insight and sorry if this is in the wrong section

dakoda62
03-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Take a trip into "Hardcore Archery" in Kelowna. He can answer most of your questions.

Bow Walker
03-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Take a trip into "Hardcore Archery" in Kelowna. He can answer (most) ALL of your questions.
I edited dakoda62's post to reflect what I think of Hardcore......

Drop in and talk to the guys. You won't be sorry.

Iron Sighted
03-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Spoke to Chuck at Hardcore Archery today as I am also soon going to be getting in to archery and he was very helpful and friendly, as you are in his neck of the woods I'd recommend stopping by for sure.

TheProvider
03-05-2012, 07:32 PM
I've only ever heard great things about Hardcore

bugler
03-05-2012, 07:52 PM
With regards to right vs left handed, usually you would go with your dominant eye. The advice on here is sound. Generally, when it comes to bows, you want to start out at a pro shop like Hardcore. They should help you figure out which eye and go from there.

Bow Walker
03-05-2012, 09:23 PM
What eye is your dominant one when you shoot your rifle?

Should be the same for archery....

flyhigh_206
03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
thanks guys ill definitly have to stop in there and check it out, as for my eye when shooting rifle im right eye dominant but from just checking bows out i almost feel as if i would be left eye, but i could be wrong lol but i guess ill find out when i stop by hardcore thanks again

Bow Walker
03-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Try holding your thumb out at arm's length and cover a small object with the tip of your thumb (something that's at least 20 yards away) - keeping both your eyes open.

Then close one eye and see if your thumb seems to move off the covered object. If your thumb stays covering that object - that is your dominant eye.

hunterdon
03-07-2012, 06:23 PM
All the best flyhigh_206. Sounds like you've been pointed in the right direction. Hardcore that is. Definitely a good start. As you are probably already aware, archery hunting is a different cup of tea than say hunting with a firearm. Not only will you have to familiarize yourself with a different weapon but you will have to learn a different style of hunting. It will take time and a lot of patience, but it will eventually come. I know of many hunters who have given up a little too easy. Be persistent and you taste sweet success eventually. Then you will be hooked for life. Good luck bud!

Ruger4
03-08-2012, 02:34 PM
there's a 3D in Summerland this sunday , come out , have a look , go for a walk with a group (our group) , ask lots of questions , most guys are ready to offer an info , opinions etc etc, 'look' at lots of bows and the different setups, you'll leave with a bunch more info than you'll show up with..................

Ruger4
03-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Summerland Shoot for newb's is at the rodeo ground's (west of town), passed the dump by the train station, hang a left