PDA

View Full Version : Broadheads

BCHoyt
03-05-2012, 01:32 PM
What would you guys suggest for a good all around broadhead for bear and deer... Fixed or mechanical?

TheProvider
03-05-2012, 01:37 PM
I'd go mechanical, rage, swhacker, g5 makes a cple nice mechanicals. Nice to have a broadhead that makes massive holes in bears as you'll soon find out bloodtrails with them can be tricky, more so in the fall with the extra fat

TheProvider
03-05-2012, 01:48 PM
spitfires are also very popular, best bet is get a cple to try. Word of the wise tho if you using rage they have no o ring to keep them closed so you'll most likely have to remove the foam in the hood of your quiver or they'll open up

BCHoyt
03-05-2012, 01:55 PM
G5's look pretty decent..

walks with deer
03-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I love thunderhead never been disapointed with them.

BiG Boar
03-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Montec G5 fixed blades is all that I have used on animals. So far nothing has gotten away that has been shot. From black tail deer, to 1800lbs water buffalo. I went with fixed because it is one less moving part to make something go wrong.

nolan-sawka
03-05-2012, 02:06 PM
field points ... or judo points

hunter1993ap
03-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Montec G5 fixed blades is all that I have used on animals. So far nothing has gotten away that has been shot. From black tail deer, to 1800lbs water buffalo. I went with fixed because it is one less moving part to make something go wrong.

fixed is the way to go. like he said one less moving part. ive heard of a couple guys mechanicals not opening up. ive also found a mechanical in the bush where the blades didnt open, the elastic was still on thats how i know it didnt open. i knew it went through an amimal becasue the arrow was broken and there was blood on the shaft. i will probably only shoot a fixed blade broadhead from now on. and i have muzzys on all my arrows.

bcbrez
03-05-2012, 02:52 PM
I love my slick tricks. Fly true and leave big slug holes.

Riverbc
03-05-2012, 05:46 PM
I love my slick tricks. Fly true and leave big slug holes.

x2...check out the Grizztricks 2

Ruger4
03-05-2012, 06:02 PM

I'll 2nd the Montecs , fixed broadheads only way to go

J_T
03-05-2012, 06:30 PM
G5! Look no further. Solid piece of steel. Fly perfectly. Sharp. And reusable due to their durability.

A wise and seasoned bowhunter on here once said, anyone that would consider a mechanical, should have one stuffed up his arse. I had to laugh, and I've never forgot the statement. There can be failure with a mechanical, no matter how much you pay for it. I'm not saying they aren't any good. Just don't buy the Canadian Tire or Walmart model.

Bow Walker
03-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Bear hair is pretty thick - I'd have to recommend not using mechanical heads, at least on bears - too much chance of premature opening in the thick hair and possible deflection.

It takes a certain amount of both momentum and kinetic energy to open mechanical heads - I'd rather all that energy was concentrated into the point penetration.

Muzzy's or Slick Tricks are my choice of heads.

limit time
03-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Bear hair is pretty thick - I'd have to recommend not using mechanical heads, at least on bears - too much chance of premature opening in the thick hair and possible deflection.

It takes a certain amount of both momentum and kinetic energy to open mechanical heads - I'd rather all that energy was concentrated into the point penetration.

Muzzy's or Slick Tricks are my choice of heads.

Grim reaper is my favorite now, here is a vid of the Rage head on a bear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lgqsb7O4Gg&list=FLNr-XikiFHNQ5ySwftUb0zw&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Bow Walker
03-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Perfect shot on that bear. I gotta admit that the broadhead performed it's task for sure.........

tundra
03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
I used to use Thunderhead broad heads. They worked great on the 6.5' bear I took but having to re-sight after 3d shooting was a pain. I also have switched to the Grim Reapers. They have served me well so far.

BCHoyt
03-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Ive read lots of great reviews on the slick tricks and they were my 1st choice... so I think Ill stick with that... last thing I want is a failure with a mechanical and a wounded bear.

bugler
03-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Fixed for me. As long as your bow/arrow setup is tuned there should be no need for mechs.

bowhunterbruce
03-05-2012, 08:04 PM
until last year i used g5 montec's, although they never let me down i saw what kind of hole a slick trick 4 blade did on a bear, the hole was much bigger,
way better blood trail then the g5.
either way i would never consider using a machanical broadhead,,,,,,,, fixed all the way baby.
bhb

mikeboehm
03-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Muzzy mx4 work great for me. Stay away from rage 3 blade. They never open up

hunterdon
03-05-2012, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=J_T;1106786]G5! Look no further. Solid piece of steel. Fly perfectly. Sharp. And reusable due to their durability.

I think it's x4 or 5 for the montecs. Broad-heads are like cars, everybody has their favorite for whatever reason. I haved used slick tricks also. They do fly like field points and are deadly. But as J-T pointed out, the Montecs are very durable and as such are reusable. A little sharpening and their as good as new. I have never had a blade brake yet. As for the slick tricks, yes successful, but most of my kills had a least one blade broken. A valid consideration when taking into account the cost of broad heads.

StoneChaser
03-06-2012, 12:18 AM
I had great luck with the Montec CS , Magnus Snuffer SS, and Magnus Stinger Buzzcut....all are deadly, durable, and fly like darts.

My quiver will be mostly sporting Magnus this year though, as their prices are excellent, quality is top notch (every broadhead is spin tested to 3 thou or under), and customer service is second to none (they have a no fault lifetime replacement guarantee....you could slam one into a brick wall and they`d send ya new one no questions asked).

Rusty Shackles
03-08-2012, 10:28 PM
I love thunderhead never been disapointed with them.
Thunderheads if your bow is slow. I swore by them for years sub325fps. I can't get them flying perfect at 360fps. Still killed the deer I shot this fall, but plaining is a concern.

Rusty Shackles
03-08-2012, 10:31 PM
When torcher testing I found 85gr sliktriks had stronger blades than thunderhead 100s. Aluminum sheet knocked off all blades of thunder head. But slik trick were all still attached. Bent bad but stayed on.

Gumsehwah
03-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Anyone try the fixed blades from red feather archery?

Gumsehwah
03-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajqxbR5CU9k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone

Brian011
03-08-2012, 11:42 PM
I was happy with how well the g5 montecs worked. Shot a buck last year and he only went under 50yrds

mr_verbatim
03-10-2012, 04:17 PM
What would you guys suggest for a good all around broadhead for bear and deer... Fixed or mechanical?

Rage all the way.

I've used them for years and they have never failed me. They do in fact have an o-ring to keep the blades in, however, it is on the lower elbow of the blades, not around the blades themselves. You do have to keep an eye on them when stalking, they'll open if you catch them on a twig, but I've never had a problem with them in a quiver. If you shoot a lighter bow, use the 40 KE version. I prefer the 2 blade rather than the 3 blade.

Dan

BCHoyt
03-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Guess I should also mention what I am shooting... 2012 Bowtech Assassin... 29" draw... 60lb pull...

mr_verbatim
03-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Guess I should also mention what I am shooting... 2012 Bowtech Assassin... 29" draw... 60lb pull...

You could also contact a few companies and ask for a sample of each product. I did this for just about every part of my arrows when I got serious about it and received samples for every one, most of the companies even included hand written letters by the CEO or VP. Give it it a try!

Dan