PDA

View Full Version : ballistic reticles???

sburton
03-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Out of several affordable scope manufacturers, Vortex, Leica, Zeiss, Leuopold, and Minox these are all pretty good I'm sure. How many of you out there have models with BDC and ballistic reticles. What I'm trying to find out is the user friendliness of these scopes both at the range and out in the woods. Some appear to be fairly complicated but the dealers are all claiming ease of use. Any feed back would be appreciated. Scoping a new WinModel 70 Coyote lite in 7MMWSM.

Drillbit
03-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Get something simple. Too much stuff there makes things way more complicated than it needs to be.

I like the Leupold ones on the VX2 and cheaper series, just a few dots added onto the reticle. To me the VX3 and up B&C ones are too busy for the eye if you have to be quick. Anything with a traingle invovled is out for sure, for me.

Str8shooterbc
03-05-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm old school. Don't like BDC scopes nor a bunch of confusing dots and lines on my sight.

For Deer Jack O'Connor sighted in 3" high at 100 yards to give maximum point blank range for any rifle. For Coyote size critters 1 1/2" high at 100.

I like a fixed 4x for Deer. The best scope I ever used for Coyote was a Weaver 8x56 on a 223Rem. I can't afford a German or Austrian 8x56 or I would have one.

The biggest problem with long range shooting is the ability to dope the wind. If you have ever seen a long range competition the shooter and spotter are very experienced and can dope wind so the shooter can adjust his/her sight accordingly. Everything is logged - documented.

If wind wasn't a factor long range shooting would be a cinch for even the average shooter with a little professional training. But that is the key - finding someone that can tutor an average shooter who can make shots at 200 yards and the tutor can extend that to 400-500 yards easily, BUT and it is a big BUT, then it requires serious practice. Hey then the fancy marked scopes can and will extend your shooting a lot.

But the reason I won't take a 450 yard shot on a Deer or Elk across a draw full of buck brush in the last minutes of legal shooting daylight is ---- how are you going to get over there in the dark to find your animal??

All is dandy on a range shooting at paper at 500 yards and putting the pictures on this site, but is it so dandy in the field where a true sportsman is concerned with the welfare and respect of the wildlife resource?????

$64,000 question.

BearStump
03-05-2012, 01:19 PM
If wind wasn't a factor long range shooting would be a cinch for even the
average shooter with a little professional training. But that is the key -
finding someone that can tutor an average shooter who can make shots at 200
yards and the tutor can extend that to 400-500 yards easily, BUT and it is a big
BUT, then it requires serious practice. Hey then the fancy marked scopes can and
will extend your shooting a lot.

agreed. The reticles you are talking about would be nothing but a pain in the arse unless you plan on using your set up to shoot over the 4 or 5oo m mark. If you do plan on shooting that far then yes, they would be another tool to get you there.
I wont be an HBC saint and go as far as to say you shouldn't shoot at those ranges, fill your boots if thats what you enjoy. Just make sure its a practiced, and sure shot.
I want really badly to build a sweet long range .338 topped with some kick butt NightForce optics and get out practicing at long range in the mountains. But unfortunately thats a sport for the wealthy:(

Blockcaver
03-05-2012, 08:06 PM
I like The Burris Ballistic Plex and Leupold LR dots on the VXII's. Both are great for big game with highly visible aiming points. The Leupold B&C and Varmint Hunter are busy and don't show up well in dimlight, but make excellent long range scopes if you have time and good light conditions (like on prairie dogs). They also have lateral dots for wind correction, which again are useful while varminting.

Being a bowhunter I have used a multiple pin bowsight for the past 40 years and adapting the same multiple aiming point technology to rifle sighting system has been a snap. A cheat sheet taped on the rifle is required in my case so I don't forget what the yardage for each dot is (multiple rifles, calibers and scopes are hard to keep track of the sight data). Also, remember to keep the scope on max power when you use the dots below the main cross-wire.

gerrygoat
03-05-2012, 10:19 PM
I agree with Blockcarver on the Burris Ballistic Plex and Leupold's simpler LR reticle they work fine and aren't as cluttered as some of the other ones.

arcadia
03-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Ok. So you have ballistic dots etc. What about when you change from 3x to 9x? Do the dots still work?

todbartell
03-05-2012, 11:03 PM
no they don't, since subtension changes with magnification unless your reticle is in the second focal plane of your scope.

Gateholio
03-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Ballistic reticles take sometime to find out how to use them.They all come with instruction manuals. Some guys want to just sight in at 2.5" high and 100 and go hunting, and hold as they see fit. Some guys like to be more precise, and find out how to use their gear.

Different reticule systems or turret systems all work, but the depend on the shooter to practice with them and understand them.

If you aren't willing to do the work, then do like most guys do- sight in 3" high at 100, and go hunting, since most game is shot at less than 200 yards, anyway. Then do like most of the guys do, and brag that you shot your moose at 700 yards. :)

Waynewjw
03-06-2012, 09:38 PM
I like the BDC & similar reticles. Great tool for the range or hunting. Have a Zeiss Rapid Z, Nikon Monarch BDC,2 Vortex scopes along with a Bushnell or two. I prefer the Zeiss and Nikon reticles. Standard sight in a low power setting and then adjust power up to online recommendations from mfg. Both mfg's have excellent website to match the scope BDC to your specific calibre and load if doing your own.

Anyway, I like em' and haven't found them to busy. Log into Zeiss and Nikon web sites.

hunter1993ap
03-06-2012, 09:48 PM
700 yards thats just a guess right!!?!!?? i like a simple scope with no lines or dots, just the crosshairs. if you want to adjust for elevation i would go with a turret.

Good Old Outdoors
03-07-2012, 10:11 AM
I have a Redfield Revolution with the Accurange reticle, its quick and easy if you are shooting out to about 500. For a $169 scope you cant go wrong. Its not a Leica or a Leupold but for the money and hunters on a budget its my choice.

Darwin
03-07-2012, 10:34 AM
agreed. The reticles you are talking about would be nothing but a pain in the arse unless you plan on using your set up to shoot over the 4 or 5oo m mark. If you do plan on shooting that far then yes, they would be another tool to get you there.
I wont be an HBC saint and go as far as to say you shouldn't shoot at those ranges, fill your boots if thats what you enjoy. Just make sure its a practiced, and sure shot.
I want really badly to build a sweet long range .338 topped with some kick butt NightForce optics and get out practicing at long range in the mountains. But unfortunately thats a sport for the wealthy:(

You can reach out alot cheaper now that there are a few good contenders in optics. I had a Rem 700 sa Tactical in 308 with a nightforce and all the goodies Now I am doing the same rifle but have gone with the Bushnell Mil dot with turrets, So far this rifle is under the cost of a Nightforce (way under) Buy the time its done I will be under the cost of the scope. A good place to do some reseach is Sniper central. I no you can build a 1000 yard plus gun for just under 2000 in 308 not sure about the 338 but it wont be as much as you think.

BearStump
03-07-2012, 02:20 PM
You can reach out alot cheaper now that there are a few good contenders in optics. I had a Rem 700 sa Tactical in 308 with a nightforce and all the goodies Now I am doing the same rifle but have gone with the Bushnell Mil dot with turrets, So far this rifle is under the cost of a Nightforce (way under) Buy the time its done I will be under the cost of the scope. A good place to do some reseach is Sniper central. I no you can build a 1000 yard plus gun for just under 2000 in 308 not sure about the 338 but it wont be as much as you think.

Hmmmmmm. food for thought. Thanx

WKCotts
03-07-2012, 05:22 PM
just added the zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44 with rapid z 600 reticle to my sako model 85... pretty amazing scope!!

REMINGTON JIM
03-07-2012, 05:25 PM
I have a Redfield Revolution with the Accurange reticle, its quick and easy if you are shooting out to about 500. For a $169 scope you cant go wrong. Its not a Leica or a Leupold but for the money and hunters on a budget its my choice.

Thats great ! But where can you get a Redfield Revolution scope for only $ 169.00 ? pls let me know - thks RJ

wlbc
03-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Of the scopes you have mentioned I have a Zeiss Conquest with the Rapid Z 600 reticle. As I think Gatehouse has mentioned it doesn't really matter until you hit 350 yards. And then it is only useful if you practice with it a fair amount.

I think that for the money the Rapid Z is a serviceable ballistic reticle.

emerson
03-08-2012, 05:40 AM
I like the long range reticle in the Leupold VXII.

MikeH
03-08-2012, 10:10 PM

I've use the Night force,Leupold govt issue, the Bushnell elite is decent for what it is. I have a 3200 elite 10x40 a little much for shooting anything out here but back home just outside Edmonton perfect cheap for I'd use it for.You do have to practice with mildot try this simulator will help learn the mildot for any who care http://www.shooterready.com/lrsdemo.html also mildot master goes great in the field with a mildot.
check out http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/ for custom builds. these guys are the bomb http://www.pgwdti.com/

pescado
03-08-2012, 11:50 PM
I like the Zeiss or Swarovski with the ballistic reticles. With both you get good computer information which is helpful in getting going. Zeiss has a good information on the web site check it out and learn how to use it before you buy as it will help with what scope to buy. If you know your loads you can make good accurate shots out a ways and there is a lot of info in that reticle. Would I take it over a turret?? For shots out to 500 you bet, if I plan to shoot further often than I'd go turret. I find the ballistic reticle to be a helpful tool in some hunting situations if you take the time to get to know it.

sheephunterab
03-09-2012, 12:42 AM
I prefer a reticle where the hashmarks are yardage indicated. In the heat of the moment, counting your way down five or six hashmarks can be a pain and it's easy to miscount by 50 or 100 yards if you in a hurry. I also don't want to have to remember what yardage each hashmark represents. The Rapid Z is about as user friendly as it gets. Hashmarks are yardage indicated, it's adjustable to individual loads and has 10 mph windage markers. No other ballistic reticle offers all that.

swampthing
03-11-2012, 08:26 AM
These reticles take a lot of shooting to dial in, which isnt a bad thing. I tried the 2" high at 100 thing and it didnt work in either my 325 or 270 shorts. I ended up sighting in dead on at 400 and that puts me within 3 inches at 1,2 and 300. At 500 I am low in both calibers. I use the b@c reticle and its a bit busy. Time and use has made it easier to use. My first game shot was at a running coyote at 200. I had all the crosshairs on him at once and was blazing away. The last leupold I bought has the long range dots. Havent dialed it in yet but its much less busy.

sheephunterab
03-11-2012, 11:03 AM
While ballistic reticles can appear busy and complicated, they are pretty easy to set up Setting up Rapid Z video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kczTMVm_wNA&list=UUI3EiJs0Lok0zZbnQaQB54w&index=1&feature=plcp)