PDA

View Full Version : Grizz in 7-38...worth a shot?

BCBairdo
03-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Well I didn't get the Grizz draw I wanted but alas the BC Gov't felt sorry for me for so many years without a draw that they gave me a draw up in 7-38. I see you can drive in there from just before Mackenzie along Willistion Lake....looks like a good 120km jaunt up the logging road.

Have any of you guys done this hunt and if so what were the road conditions like and what were the population of Blacks and Grizz in the area. Any info would be appreciated as I actually have enough holidays saved up to make a go of this and a buddy can probably come along to do the video which would be fun to get on tape:)

Thanks in advance and PM me if you want to keep the info on the QT....BCBairdo

BromBones
03-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Yes, certainly worth the effort. Pretty large area but there are some good hotspots for grizzlies, and the black bear population is very good. You'd have no trouble taking a 6.5ft + black bear up there.

Sitkaspruce
03-04-2012, 09:27 PM
great area with lots of good size blacks and some dandy grizz. The one thing is that there is a quad restriction, so make sure you bring lots of gas. No station up there and a long way back to either FSJ or Mack for more fuel.....

Cheers

SS

The Dawg
03-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Lots o' big bears there!

Rackmastr
03-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Good spot for sure up there!!! Lots of big bears, lots of preparation and planning, but can be a great hunt!

BCBairdo
03-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Thanks for some of the feedback....I'm working on a couple of buddies to go with me and if they commit we'll be going. If any of you work up in that area along the West side of Williston Lk would like to keep in touch with you as the melt starts so we hit it right. Was thinking of going May 25-June 3rd ish.

trigger78
03-06-2012, 11:35 PM
got the the same draw ,i put in with two buddies for 7-18 and we got drawn for 7-38, 7-39,7-40. i was lookin at the maps and that is a lot of area to cover but we are the same as you gonna give it a shot .One of the guys is going to work up there in a couple of weeks ,so he is gonna keep me in the loop as far as weather , so i will let you know when the time come . I was also lookin at the road situation and it looks like it will be a little work getting there ,all the same it will be fun. cheers

bowhunterbruce
03-07-2012, 05:35 AM
things to bring in 7-38
lots of gas,
a couple spare tires and 10 plys if ya got them, rocks on the road can do a number on tires real fast
a radio for driving those roads, and know the frequencys of each road and pay attention to the changes when they occure,,there was a ton of logging activity up there last fall up to 174 km marker. even a good head on collision. it took all day for the kids in the 1 truck to get to the hospital with glass in thier heads. scary huh
spare camp person, so the local natives dont walk away with your spare gas,food,booze etc.
leave the quads at home,no access for the purpose of hunting
good hiking boots and pack frame.
black bear tags, alot of those around.
its a good remote area up there and most of the animals dont see alot of humans so they tend to act natural which is pretty cool. i didn't see 1 grizzly on or near any roads last year,hikeing is going to be the given once you spot one
goodluck for those who got a draw up there
bhb

kayjayess
03-07-2012, 10:19 AM
We got a Grizz there 2 years ago and seen about 10 others. Probably 75-100 blacks spotted. My buddy shot a booner black in there 3 years ago. If you are interested send me a PM and we can chat. Rackmaster was awesome in providing info - thanks Rack. Happy to help you if I can.

kayjayess