PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your bear meat

TooLong
03-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Want to hunt bear this spring but want to make sure we use the meat.
What kind of sausage is your favorite. Who will cut and make sausage in the Chilliwack area?

nature girl
03-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Buy yourself a grinder and a stuffer and do it yourself. That is what we do now and then you know for sure it is your meat and not getting mixed with other peoples meat. You can get sausage kits at certain stores pm me and Ill tell you where.

Bow Walker
03-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Check out this thread.........http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?71090-Meat-cutters-list.

...and after that go into the Recipe forum and do a search for "bear".

kodeman
03-04-2012, 06:16 PM
bear pepperoni is the best.

sarg
03-04-2012, 06:48 PM
get the hams smoked.

Jim Prawn
03-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Magnums dont kill deer,,,, bullets do

Great quote Sarg.
JP

TheProvider
03-04-2012, 09:37 PM
BUtcher it myself, roasts, steaks and sausage- honey garlic, onion, hot

grizzlydueck
03-04-2012, 11:31 PM
I eat blackies and grizz everything from smoked hams to honey garlic pep-theirs a guy in crestion =famous fritz's meats who makes jerky sticks and their like crack ! Its basicly honey garlic pep=so amazing. You just have to freeze it solid for, what I do a month in a chest freezer[longer if its a upright] -you can freeze it safe for they say 14 days ish but I'll do it for a month barried on the bottom of the freezer to keep it solid.
I'll be making alot of honey garlic pep out of my spring grizz .....after i shoot one that is !

Ltbullken
03-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Breakfast bratwurst. Really good!

BlacktailStalker
03-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Diced, boiled, add beef broth for flavour = dog food.

Barracuda
03-05-2012, 12:47 PM
bear can be great. spend a day and butcher and grind it yourself. it also allows you to be really picky about what meat goes into your sausage

Barracuda
03-05-2012, 01:25 PM
why would you add pork?

wildcatter
03-05-2012, 01:26 PM
I made chili with bear meat and everybody liked it.
But I would like to try next time to make smoked bear ham.

BearStump
03-05-2012, 01:30 PM
why would you add pork?
For 2 reasons:
1- it tastes better
2- its not so dry, and creates a better texture.

Derp
03-05-2012, 01:37 PM
bear can be great. spend a day and butcher and grind it yourself. it also allows you to be really picky about what meat goes into your sausage

That price included 30% added pork

TheProvider
03-05-2012, 01:43 PM
bear sausage will be pretty dry without pork, I made sausage last spring and tried only putting a 1/4 pork and they were a tad dry still. Gonna step it up to a 1/3. When I used to get them made at a butcher he'd do 50% tasted great but I wanna fine tune my recipe with as little pork as possible

moosinaround
03-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Each to their own I suppose. I don't really like much fat added to my pepperonies or smokies at all! That is why I use wild game, so it is tasty and on the dryer side! Now the fattier sausages like Landjaugers or swiss farmers, or salamis should have more fat added! Bear makes the best sausages ever! Moosin

bigwhiteys
03-05-2012, 01:54 PM

lol... I throw in a little sweet potatoes, carrots and some wild rice too and my dog loves it. No butcher bill.

sarg
03-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Whats a rough quote for getting an average size bear cut and made into sausage/pepperoni?

It cost me $120 for 2 hams smoked 2 roast and the rest it to sausage 2 years ago. Got him to cut 2 deer and a black bear this fall and the bear was all sausage $290

Caribou_lou
03-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Hoping me or one of my family members can tag a Grizzly this year. Hard to beat those cured smoked Hams!! Almost out from the last two we harvested.

Barracuda
03-05-2012, 03:19 PM
try makeing it yourself without pork Im not fond of the practice of useing other meats, a good butcher should be able to make good sausage without adding domestic meats.
I much prefer lean sausages in general little or no fat dont puncture the skins and if you find you want them really moist or mushier then use a filler and they will be moist.

Derp
03-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Made my own sausages without pork and they turned out very dry.

elkdom
03-05-2012, 03:25 PM
lol... I throw in a little sweet potatoes, carrots and some wild rice too and my dog loves it. No butcher bill.

x2

sit UBU' ! ,,,,,,,good boy,, r'ruff ! r'ruff ! :lol:

03-05-2012, 03:27 PM
If i was you i would first shoot the bear,,,,
But take it to a pro to get done into Sausage and peperonie. That way you can see how good it is. Then you can expand on it from there.
This question has been asked before,,, and by me! We shot a bear right off the tidal grass flats. It stunk and was eating crap from the chuck... It turned into some of the best peperonie i have eaten.

What i have found is some people love bear meat and some dont. So go take a bear and try it youself. Then you can get more "Dareing" after.
from what i hear go late spring and up a mountain for the best eater. Or early fall and again up a mountain.

Barracuda
03-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Had just as much poor sausage made by "pros" as i have had good ones so if you happen to have a guy that makes it how you like it stick with him.

We do our own and if you want it wetter then you can add all sorts of other things bread potato or tapioca powder . trim it well and you wont have to mask the flavour with domestic meat as long as the bear is palatable to begin with. we also make all our domestic sausage meat without a bunch of fat.

If someone else can make it so can you.

trim it well dont try to use every scrap and be as picky as with what you put into ground meat as you are with your regular cuts

03-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Had just as much poor sausage made by "pros" as i have had good ones so if you happen to have a guy that makes it how you like it stick with him.

We do our own and if you want it wetter then you can add all sorts of other things bread potato or tapioca powder . trim it well and you wont have to mask the flavour with domestic meat as long as the bear is palatable to begin with. we also make all our domestic sausage meat without a bunch of fat.
If someone else can make it so can you.
trim it well dont try to use every scrap and be as picky as with what you put into ground meat as you are with your regular cuts

Yep for sure, i totally agree with all this. If you have a good butcher/ smoker stick with him. If you dont you can get recomendations here.
i just think he may want to see the potential of it. Probably he doesnt have all the sausage making stuff or the know how. I have just recently bought a grinder and i have a bunch of recipies to try too.

But i sure cant disaggree with you Barracuda, its just a different thing to do with it.

Steeleco
03-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Just to be clear, I deleted ALL references to named meat cutters as per Marc's rules. There is the list as provided in the link in post #3. Many a good cutter out there, but none will be as good as doing it yourself. you know exactly what your getting and what your not getting. The worst that can happen is a ton of ground!!!

For the record, I use reg ground beef in my sausage, I just use less in bear sausage. I prefer the taste of the end product better.

03-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Both Grizz and Blacks make fantastic smoked Ham's when you have them cured at the butcher, smoked and YUM !! Also Some chops from the best spots and sausage the rest.

Always have a Bear tag with me now ........ tasty critters !

Easy to debone like any thing else, take your time and soon you'll be enjoying your hunt even more.

CT

pnbrock
03-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Eating grizz sounds sooooo gross.!!!

Caribou_lou
03-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Eating grizz sounds sooooo gross.!!!

Wouldn't recommend eating a coastal Grizzly or one that may be on fish in the fall.

chainsaw
03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Yup i agree

elkdom
03-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Wouldn't recommend eating a coastal Grizzly or one that may be on fish in the fall.

most Mountain Grizz aint much better eatin than Coastal Grizz,

the Mountain Grizz tend to feed on Tree Planters (mostly from Quebec),,,
and if a Grizz has been eatin those greasy,stinky buggers ??

it can be just as bad as Coastal Grizz,,,,,,,,,,,

tuchodi
03-05-2012, 07:29 PM
I get all my bear made into sausage of all kinds, can't beat bear meat for sausage.

Livewire322
03-05-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm going bear hunting for the first time this year...
I'm hell bent on getting some hams done up, but I'd like to do them myself.
Anyone have a recepie that they would be willing to share? I've got a big chief smoker...

bc7mm
03-05-2012, 09:40 PM
I make sausage and salami normally out of blackies, add a bit of smoke. Durn good eatin

sceddy
03-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Makes good prawn bait

Scouter Bear
03-05-2012, 11:50 PM
I am also going to see about a bear hunt myself. You guys make it sound so tasty.

Phoneguy
03-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Pepperoni, Salami, Garlic sausage (all cured). Mild Italian, Smokies ......