PDA

View Full Version : Success in Kootenay GOS Goat Areas

Rackmastr
03-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Hey Guys,

Just moved to Cranbrook and although I will become a "resident" in late August or early September I am starting to look at GOS options to hunt close to home this year.

Obviously I've got some elk, deer, sheep, etc options and I am currently looking at a few options to get out and chase goats this year closer to home.

Looks like a few areas up by Golden open for GOS stuff. I'm guessing this is some very rough country and access may be a bit tougher, but I'm up to the challenge to learn some new areas and do a few good weekend hunts, etc.

I'd love to know what success is like in the area and if anyone had any tips or suggestions on scouting the area. PM or open discussion...not looking for specifics but a general opinion or suggestions on the areas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

bigneily
03-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Some real good area's, with real low odd's alot closer too Cranny than Golden GOS zone's.

GoatGuy
03-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Success rates are good for the people who want to work for it. Google earth will get you started, maybe head up for a scout in August.

The northern MUs are generally better Oct and Nov.

yukon john
03-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Honestly, I've had more success in the gos areas around there then when I had the draw. I think guys are more motivated to hunt hard and focus on one area when they have a draw and pass by the open areas. Remember the open areas are open because either no one hunts there or there is lots of animals both good reasons to check them out

yukon john
03-05-2012, 01:59 PM
in our group there has been 6 billies in the last two years just from exploring new country and doing a lot of hiking.

springpin
03-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Golden, has great GOS areas..I have always seen goat.

Rackmastr
03-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks guys....ya this year since I couldnt apply for LEH and wont be a 'resident' until late August I figured I'd check out some of the GOS areas in 4-27 to 4-30. Lots to explore....and I'd appreciate any other tips. Got a few so far that should get me started!

Thanks!

J_T
03-05-2012, 06:32 PM
We have work to do to get the Ministry to consider options to open more MU's to GOS for goats.

Ryan Olson
03-06-2012, 05:12 PM
I grew up in windermere, an hour and a bit north of cranbrook. There is great hunting up Toby creek past Panorama Ski Resort. The road will take you far back into the purcells ending up at Jumbo glacier. The terrain is steep and very beautiful. There are Goats, bear, and loads of Elk.

http://www.tobycreek.com/hunting.asp

Moose Guide
03-06-2012, 05:46 PM
I grew up in windermere, an hour and a bit north of cranbrook. There is great hunting up Toby creek past Panorama Ski Resort. The road will take you far back into the purcells ending up at Jumbo glacier. The terrain is steep and very beautiful. There are Goats, bear, and loads of Elk.

http://www.tobycreek.com/hunting.asp

No gos for goat in 4-26

Rackmastr
03-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions....I'd be more than willing to look at any other options out there, but bottom line I'm excited to get out and look for a goat this fall and will do some good hikes this summer in the hopes of tracking a few down.

BlacktailStalker
03-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Check out the hiking websites. They often map out trails in mountain ranges of interest or at least get you up into some alpine...

rem338win
03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Let me know when you are heading out for a scout, and I'll do what I can to tag along and try to keep up!

Rackmastr
06-13-2012, 05:15 AM
Thought I'd give this a bump now that the weather is starting to warm up (even with the rain, etc) and I am going to start making a few treks into the hills to do some scouting this summer. I've got a few areas in mind but always looking for suggestions. Lots of country to learn being new over here!!!

riflebuilder
06-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Just north of invermere the GOS area for goats starts. If you are willing to hike up to the tops of the mountain you will get a goat. We have never gone up there without seeing goats. there are some good spots that if you take a tent and spike camp near the alpine that with in a few days weather permitting you will shoot a goat. try up the top end of the spilli or above the bugaboo glacier we always see goats in there. It is pretty rugged but worth the effort.