PDA

View Full Version : Out this evening - ALMOST scored!

WoodOx
10-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Went out to practice with my bow this evening with my girlfriend. Park the truck at my homemade outdoor bow range, and as I am getting my bow gear ready and am talking to my girlfriend, I hear the tell tale "thud thud" of a deer jump to its feet. The property I am on is a large piece of private property which I have permission to hunt - and there are lots of mule deer around.

So I tell my girlfriend to stick around, I am going after the deer. I take off my boots and nock my hunting arrow - heading after the deer I see it trotting to my left, and yes it has horns!

I move to my right to cut it off, and sure enough I get ahead/caught upto him. It basically came down to a moment - all mule deer are open for one more day (today) but I didnt want to shoot any buck - so this one fleeting moment that I had a clear 35yd broadside shot, I instead spent identifying it as a nice four point buck.

By no means a booner, but probably around 150'' class. I went after him after missing this opportunity but only saw him once more bounding away. He was headed into the mass section of property (900 some odd acres) so I think hell stick around - especially with the amount of does around and the impending rut.

Thinkin I might head out tomorrow to see if I cant get a poke at him. Would be a nice first bow buck!:lol: :lol:

Sideofabarn
10-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Go get him fella! Remember, I want pics and a story when you're done! BTW what heads are you using?