PDA

View Full Version : sheep cameras

tbocking
03-03-2012, 10:47 AM
What type of cameras do you guys take on your backpack sheep hunts last year I took my canon T3 with an extra 250mm lense but it weighs 3.5lbs which is a bit much but it does take great shots.
Thanks Ted

Buck
03-03-2012, 11:04 AM
What type of cameras do you guys take on your backpack sheep hunts last year I took my canon T3 with an extra 250mm lense but it weighs 3.5lbs which is a bit much but it does take great shots.
Thanks Ted

I would get a Digiscoping setup.Use your spotting scope as the lense.Ideal would be Canon S100 with Swaro Zeiss Leica spotter.

pg83
03-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Meopta has an iPhone adapter for their spotting scope. I looked through it at SCI last month and was really impressed. They told me they are working on more adapters for the other big glass companies as well, potentially out this year.

Here's a link

http://www.wellreadnaturalist.com/2012/01/meopta-meopix-iscoping-adapter-demonstrated-at-2012-shot-show/

BlacktailStalker
03-03-2012, 11:59 AM
The batteries on iPhones and the like are far too inferior to rely on, for pictures for more than one day.
They better throw in a solar charger and a mule to pack it all.

bighornbob
03-03-2012, 12:36 PM
I use a panasonic lumix. It's a point and shoot but has a 10 power zoom. All you really need for a back pack sheep hunt. Takes great photos.

BHB

Blockcaver
03-03-2012, 02:16 PM
A little Sony Cybershot 16.2 megapixel unit works great with the Swaro Angled 20-60x65 HD scope. It is a small light-weight camera with excellent battery life and takes very fine photos. Hold it up to the eyepiece of the Swaro for digiscoping, zoom to at least 1.2x and take photos.

Alpine85
03-03-2012, 04:15 PM
I've got an olympus. I would take any digital camera I had. We always have a couple cameras with us, lots times a vid cam to. I always have my camera clipped on the front ready to go. Nothing like getting home and having 300+ pics and a 2 hour video to go through,reminds a guy why he goes every year.

Hammerhead
03-03-2012, 05:16 PM
I have the Panasonic Lumix as well with the 16x zoom that I took with me last year and got some really nice shots with it and I'm a long shot from a photographer. Had a 2nd fully charged battery with me but we were back in 8 days with our sheep and didn't need the 2nd. I think I went with someones recomendation from here and i'm happy with it
HH

troutseeker
03-03-2012, 05:58 PM
I too have a Panasonic Lumix, great camera. It even has GPS which you can enable to show you where your pictures were taken. Great photo quality, big zoom, and full HD video, pretty hard to beat.

London drugs has it on sale right now for $249.99. That is a smoking deal!

Buck
03-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Meopta has an iPhone adapter for their spotting scope. I looked through it at SCI last month and was really impressed. They told me they are working on more adapters for the other big glass companies as well, potentially out this year.

Here's a link

http://www.wellreadnaturalist.com/2012/01/meopta-meopix-iscoping-adapter-demonstrated-at-2012-shot-show/

That is a great idea as i use the phone to work my Spot connect.We have a little portable charger we bring to keep the battery up.

ryanb
03-03-2012, 08:57 PM
They are making a few camera models with built in gps now, some even have some mapping capability. These are worth looking at, you can combine two pieces of equipment into one for weight savings. I don't know if the current models are all that great gps-wise, but I'm sure it wont be long before they have some better options.

buford19
03-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Another panasonic lumix 18 x zoom great camera for sheep hunt light, excellent battery life.One battery will last a ten day hunt, also shoots good video. Now come with a 24x zoom.