PDA

View Full Version : Goose hunting

Scouter Bear
03-03-2012, 05:37 AM
Well I was wondering anyone is going out goose hunting before the end of the season. I have never gone out before and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out in anyway?

Ian F.
03-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Do you have a rig?

This sounds so simple it may come across sarcastic, isn't though. Find the birds, get permission if needed, set up where the birds where, hope they return. If you see the birds and they don't come into range, you've done something wrong. 70% of the time you aren't hidden as well as you think or are moving.

Ian

Scouter Bear
03-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Well I just picked up a dozen Snow geese floaters yesterday. Well they are better than nothing. I was looking for field ones but they were on sale and I couldn't resist. I don't have a boat or waders as of yet. I do have a canoe though. I know there is only 6 days left and I was going to take a drive around today to see if I can see any places.

Ian F.
03-04-2012, 03:23 PM
So you are SNOW GOOSE HUNTING?

fowlweather
03-04-2012, 04:17 PM
where did you get them?

Scouter Bear
03-04-2012, 11:22 PM
I picked up the snow decoys at the Hunting show from Italian sporting goods booth. Well right now it doesn't really matter which of the geese I go hunting for. I just need to get out there and do some hunting around. I am going out tomorrow again. I wasn't able to find any places that I looked today. I think I am going to look around Maple Ridge/Mission area.

The biggest thing is I have the TAG and want to use it if I can. If there is anyone out that want to go and shoot some geese I wouldn't mind tagging along. PM me

Ian F.
03-05-2012, 06:56 AM
`Generally speaking you need the decoys for the species you are going after. There are exceptions, for instance a good number of ducks will decoy to mallards or other decoys, ducks like goose decoys. For straight geese though, you need to be brown for brown, white for white. Snows basically spend the night on the water off westham, brunswick and richmond and then move inland to feed. They are tidal as well and move on the tides. If you want to shoot snows, take your decoys to the waters off brunswick and keep in mind they are pretty wary this time of year.

Canada's start flying any time from sunset on, they roost on water usually and head to fields to feed.

If you are targeting Canada's with Snow dekes, you should have very low expectations...

warnniklz
03-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Canada's are starting to pair up with their mates. So suckering them into decoys at this time of year can be pretty tricky. And you won't see big flocks either.

This is just what I've witnessed over the years.

Foxton Gundogs
03-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Canada's are starting to pair up with their mates. So suckering them into decoys at this time of year can be pretty tricky. And you won't see big flocks either.

This is just what I've witnessed over the years.

had a flock of about 400 circleing over the ffield I shoot just this morning, Unfortunately I was watching them from my diningroom window drinking coffee. lol lotsa goodsize flocks around here very few pairs actually. But they are hard to decoy for sure

Scouter Bear
03-06-2012, 12:58 AM
I had a good walk around Pitt Lake today with the dog and kids. I say some Canada's fly over but that was it. Well with it only having a few more days left I think I will only be able to get ready for the Fall. Damn I just hate not filling out a tag. Well I am going to see about getting some more decoys. I also have to figure out about retrieving the ducks and geese if I am going to shoot over water. If I am going to shoot over land I will need to think about that as well.
I have a canoe but I will need to see about ways of camo that up. It is Red and White I know the wife would kill me if I paint it. With my dog she is no gun dog. I wish she would be but she is 5 years old I thunkit would be to late to try and train her.

Foxton Gundogs
03-06-2012, 02:58 AM
I had a good walk around Pitt Lake today with the dog and kids. I say some Canada's fly over but that was it. Well with it only having a few more days left I think I will only be able to get ready for the Fall. Damn I just hate not filling out a tag. Well I am going to see about getting some more decoys. I also have to figure out about retrieving the ducks and geese if I am going to shoot over water. If I am going to shoot over land I will need to think about that as well.
I have a canoe but I will need to see about ways of camo that up. It is Red and White I know the wife would kill me if I paint it. With my dog she is no gun dog. I wish she would be but she is 5 years old I thunkit would be to late to try and train her.

Depends on the dog, her breed and her foundation. A number of years ago I was brought 6 yr old LabXGolden bitch. The parents ahd gone into a sr. complex and had given the dog to thir son-in-law, this was June could I make a retriever out of he?. Well she had a fair obedience foundation, that is to say sit, stay, down and heel. She loved the water and playing tennis ball and was not nervous around loud noises. They peeled about 12 lbs off her, She gun broke in about a week using the "puppy method" and with the tennis ball banished from her life, took to the bumper fairly quickly. Then wings wrapped around it followed by dead pigeons and finally ducks. On opening day she was doing her job in the blind, and became a very passable upland dog as well. I don't know your dog but if she falls in the afore mentioned catagorry dont write her off you may be doing both of you a huge diservice.
Cheers and good luck
FG

Ian F.
03-06-2012, 07:15 AM
I would stop worrying about "filling out your tag", there is no tag for ducks and geese. I hunt a lot, am reasonably successful and never shot a goose this year! Don't buy another decoy. Spend the time finding the birds, if you haven't found the birds the best rig in the world wont help, PERIOD!

I was given this book (http://www.amazon.ca/Successful-Goose-Hunting-M-D-Johnson/dp/0873496477) a couple of years ago, actually pretty good for someone starting out. Spend time on the next, GOOGLE, check out the goose only forums, read, read, read.... Hell if you want to drive to Maple Ridge, or meet me at Edmonds Skytrain during the day I'll loan it too you!

90% of hunting is scouting, it's no different with geese.