PDA

View Full Version : Double Maple Breakfast Sausage (Vension)

IronNoggin
03-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Spent most of yesterday creating this great breakfast treat. Simply HAD to try it out, so we ended up having Breakfast at Dinnertime http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/lmao.gif
In a word: Delicious!!!

Maple Breakfast Sausage Recipe
10 lbs venison
8 lbs fatty pork
2 lbs Maple Cured Bacon
4 tablespoons dried thyme
4 tablespoons dried marjoram
4 tablespoons kosher salt
2 - 3 tablespoons rubbed sage
8 tablespoons fine ground black pepper
1 cup ice water
2 cups real maple syrup

1. Grind the venison and pork through the Medium plate of your grinder.
2. Grind the bacon through the Fine plate of your grinder (better mixing)
2. Combine the spices in a small container and mix with the ice water – let sit long enough to dissolve the salt, then add the maple syrup and mix well again.
3. Pour the spice, water, and syrup combination into the ground meat and mix thoroughly.
4. Once the sausage is fully mixed, stuff it immediately into 22 - 24 mm casings.

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Maple_Sausage_1.jpg

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Maple_Sausage_2.jpg

This makes a somewhat sweet sausage with good maple overtones. We decided to incorporate the maple bacon just for that reason, and it worked out rather well.

We reduced the salt to about 1/2 what the original recipe called for (I simply don't like them overly salty) but that can be adjusted according to your personal tastes. We also cut back on the sage, as my Partner and I find it a little overpowering when at the recommended amount. Again, a matter of personal taste.

The collagen tubes are OK, but a little fussy to work with. Next time around we'll be trying to find some sheep casings of the same size in the hope they are easier to work with.

Another good one Folks! Well worth the effort! http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/BEERCHUG.gif

Cheers,
Nog

03-02-2012, 04:03 PM
damned you Nog' You just made me hungry!

happyhunter
03-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Breakfast for dinner?? Shine on you crazy diamond! lol

Rodd
03-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Ya Thanks! I'm starving now too... Seriously sounds like a great mix to me.. Gonna have to try it! Thanks again!

HD95
03-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks for that Nog,Bookmarked the page and will try it.Is that a Cabelas grinder?

IronNoggin
03-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Is that a Cabelas grinder?

Yup. Had the original Cuisinart (I think?) that looked and was exactly the same. My Partner ran a bullet through... or tried to anyway. This replacement we got shortly after that from Cabelea's. Now over 600 pounds through it and counting... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

lip_ripper00
03-02-2012, 04:48 PM
sounds like a great recipe, am going to try it. What did you find fussy about collagen casings?

HD95
03-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Yup. Had the original Cuisinart (I think?) that looked and was exactly the same. My Partner ran a bullet through... or tried to anyway. This replacement we got shortly after that from Cabelea's. Now over 600 pounds through it and counting... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
NogJust recently bought the same one when I was in Lacy.Read many positive reviews on it.Sounds like you've been putting it threw a good work-out....Thanks again

rifleman
03-02-2012, 05:22 PM
sounds good, I think I'm gunna try that... thanx!

robertmcallan
03-02-2012, 05:28 PM
mouth is watering that sounds great it is fun making sausage i had to settle with turkey this year though never got out hunting as much as i wanted. saved that recipe for next season thanks though

Ruger4
03-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Hey Nog , I'm sending you my courier account # !!!!!

dragonslayer
03-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Hey Nog , How many pounds or kilos did you actually get from this , looks fantastic, will be trying this for sure, love my sausage, put that together with just a loaf of fresh french bread and this cooked sausage on the trip to ones favorite hunting grounds, what a treat and very tasty im sure, also good for the long drives if one is in a hurry to get to his favorite elk,moose,deer or whatever hunting spots. Looks like a winner!

Bpower
03-02-2012, 08:15 PM
I think I'll be making some of these one day soon. Thanks for the recipe!

FYI - I was looking for some sheep casings last month at Stuffers in Langley, the lady there told me that there is some sort of shortage in the market right now for sheep casings. They are available but very pricey.

nature girl
03-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the great recipe. Ill be trying that one soon to.

Bow Walker
03-03-2012, 11:52 AM
cook up a batch Nog - post some pics so we can engage our "smell-o-vision" on our PC's.............

rbduck
03-03-2012, 03:11 PM
I Got the fixins for these.
Do you smoke the sausage or are they just frozen then fried?

Ron:mrgreen:

tomahawk
03-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Nice work Nog, cant wait to be home long enough to get the sausage makin gear out and cook up a batch or 3!! Natural casings are the way to go unless its pepperoni or slim jims.

IronNoggin
03-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Do you smoke the sausage or are they just frozen then fried?

Never tried smoking these little guys. Don't rightly know whether the smoke flavor would "enhance" them. Just frozen & fried for me... :-D

Cheers,
Nog

nature girl
03-04-2012, 01:38 PM
IronNoggin tried the recipe today and they taste great. We only used 5 tablespoons of pepper.
So, thanks again for the great recipe.
nature girl

swampthing
03-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Looks awesome. I need to start doing that.

Getbent
01-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Bump, just did a fry test and getting ready to shoot this one.
Shes a gooder boys and thought it was worthy to bring forward again.
Right after 10 lbs of mild Italian... Yumm

Thanks Matt

bang flop
09-14-2018, 09:51 PM
alight nog, I think I'm gonna give this one a go. needs a bump anyway.

bang flop
09-16-2018, 09:07 AM
did up a batch yesterday. as others have said it's pretty good. you get a nice bit of sweet followed by a hit of heat from the pepper. I would recommend half or 2/3rds the pepper.

thanks Nog

IslandWanderer
09-16-2018, 09:33 AM
Looks like a great recipe. It’s probably a lot better than the boring store bought sausages I’m currently eating.

Bunner
09-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Looks good. Going to have to try this one out.

Islandeer
01-27-2019, 09:57 PM
Looks delish, wondering if you could make them into patties instead of stuffing them in casings?

IronNoggin
01-28-2019, 12:04 PM
Looks delish, wondering if you could make them into patties instead of stuffing them in casings?

We generally make a patty or two and fry them up before shooting into casings.
The Taste Test as it were.

No reason you couldn't simply make them into patties & eat / freeze them right away.
Should work out just fine.

Cheers,
Nog

Islandeer
01-28-2019, 01:30 PM
Ok then I’ll give it a go.

Thanks!