PDA

View Full Version : How many turkey/upland game bird hunters in the WK?

bcbrez
03-01-2012, 08:16 AM
I am looking to find out how many Turkey and Upland Game Bird hunters we have in the West Kootenays. I have been talking with the National Wild Turkey Federation (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=nwtf%20canada&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nwtf.org%2F&ei=Z4pPT5uaDe6amQWM4vChCg&usg=AFQjCNGGVsXvLvErvCS_4Y5Ygi6bECCP0A) and they have asked me to start a WK chapter.

Since 1996, NWTF Canada has been plotting the map with turkey releases, fundraising banquets and local chapters. With more than 6,000 members across Canada, the NWTF is making strides to fulfill its mission: the conservation of the wild turkey and the preservation of our hunting heritage.

The NWTF is not just concerned with the conservation turkeys. They also work to protect all upland bird species.

Cranbrook has a succesful chapter and holds an annual fund raising baquet allot like a Ducks Unlimited banquet.
Event Date: 06/02/2012Location: Days Inn Ballroom 600 Cranbrook St. North Cranbrook, BC V1C3R7

Having a chapter in our area would supply us with funding for annual banquets, fund raising events, turkey and upland game bird habitat protection, winter feed, and even bird release programs. Along with this it will help pull together our upland bird hunting community.

What I need to know is how much support this would have in our area.

Any question please ask.

Nick

GoatGuy
03-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Might want to attend a meeting in Cranbrook to see what it's all about first.

Just saying!

bcbrez
03-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Might want to attend a meeting in Cranbrook to see what it's all about first.

Just saying!

Yeah I have sent an email to Rob Bishop about this and will try to make my way out there for a meeting or the banquet this June.

GoatGuy
03-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Yeah I have sent an email to Rob Bishop about this and will try to make my way out there for a meeting or the banquet this June.

Best of luck!

huntwriter
03-01-2012, 05:39 PM
I wish you the best of luck with getting a chapter together. You'll need it. Talk to the people in Cranbrook. I think they call themselves Kuntenay Strutters if memory serves me right. Then get in touch with the NWTF and tell them to provide you with all the information and a plan to start a chapter. You soon will find out that this will take up ALL your free time and in addition there is not that much support here in BC. When I talked to the guy in Cranbruck a few years ago he did pretty much everything by himself. Maybe by now he has a few more people helping him. But it's hard to get people to do anything these days and you need to be aware of that too.

When I lived in Illinois I was one of the founding members of the Illinois state chapter and also helped get a few others of the ground and organized turkey calling contests and other events. It never was an easy task and it still isn't. However, I find your idea a very good one. The National Wild Turkey Federation is a superb organization and the local chapters do a lot for turkey, other wildlife and habitat conservation. Since BC has become home to a flourishing turkey population that hopefully keeps on spreading it would be good to have NWTF chapters here too. If I can help or provide advise let me know.

tash
03-01-2012, 11:52 PM
We went to the banquet in Cranbrook a few years ago, it was a lot of fun.

I'd be interested in joining should you get a group together out here.