PDA

View Full Version : Blacktailed vs. Whitetailed?

Black Bird
02-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Hi there,

I don't know much about whitetailed deer - let me just get that out in the open. I have been hunting blacktailed deer and have got to know them pretty well. I have read in books that blacktailed deer behave like whitetailed. Is that true? I am just wondering what people's thoughts are on the similarities and differences between hunting the two species.

Cheers,
BB

TheProvider
02-29-2012, 09:06 PM
In my opinion their alot different. Totally different terrain they live in, food sources. I find whitetails pattern alot easier. Whitetails I find are alot more aggressive during the rut and coming to calls. The list goes on... Just my opinion though

358win
03-01-2012, 10:53 AM
More like whitetails than mulie but that's just where I hunt.
It would depend on hunting pressure I would think. Just try to put a hole through a mulie that's been hunted hard. He's go nocturnal and good luck.

03-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Whitetails are training deer for Blacktails.... :)

White tails are different. They are smart and annoying like the Island Blacktail. You just about cant still hunt them. Find a good place to sit and get in there before light and stay put for as long as you can.

I have limited experiance in them, but that is what i found. They are a riot to hunt,,,, they talk to you.

rides bike to work
03-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Some of the differences I have noticed are If a black tail notices you he will stand there for awhile playing like he's invisable wich gives you time to get a shot with a white tail if he sees you move he is gone with no looking back.Another thing I noticed is if your hunting white tail your walking grassy slopes with open pine and nicely cleaned cclear cuts on a nice sunny fall day mabey a little over cast.If you are hunting black tail you are climing steep near cliff like hills with devils club stinging nettles and dont even try to walk through a clear cut in black tail country loogers leave more crap on the ground than they take away on top of that its piisin rain on a good day.

proguide66
03-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Here's a difference that sums it up. I have a buddy who outfitts in Alberta for whitetail. He says " if you can sit in a tree i put you in long enough you WILL GET A BIG ONE".....now , if a guy tells you you WILL GET A BIG BLACKTIAL if you sit in a tree he picked , that guy should be able to walk on water to !

I know another outfitter in Saskatchewan. He says BIG whitetails do the same thing and eventually screw up. He also said, " I gave up on a big blacktail years ago" , I will probably go to Oregon for a big one to up my chances if I decide to get one". ( lived on the island).

Some guys claim to 'pattern' big blacktails in the bush , myself have yet to see it.If you hunt them on farm fields then 'patterning' is a piece of cake.
Example , I hunted a particular spot HARD for 5 yrs straight now.I became aware of a big '3 up top' 4 years ago in there. Had two years of sheds from him and NEVER had him on trail cam and NEVER saw him once.
Then he decides to show himself twice last fall and died via 'Hitch's' rifle! How the hell a buck like that eludes hunter eyes and trail cam ( numerous) for that long is beyond me !! Now look at how many MONSTER whitetails damned near grow up on trail cams before beiong shot !:?

TheProvider
03-01-2012, 04:18 PM
what fun would they be if blacktails patterned well in the mountains ;) haha

03-01-2012, 04:36 PM
.....now , if a guy tells you you WILL GET A BIG BLACKTIAL if you sit in a tree he picked , that guy should be able to walk on water to !

I know another outfitter in Saskatchewan. He says BIG whitetails do the same thing and eventually screw up. He also said, " I gave up on a big blacktail years ago" , I will probably go to Oregon for a big one to up my chances if I decide to get one". ( lived on the island).

Yep, Im 36 i have been borne and raised IBT huntin' Since i could walk in the forest. There was a time when i was hunting every weekend on South Van Island from season start to finnish. I dont consider my self a pro, there are guys on this rock that are members of this site that i consider way better at IBT kill'en then me. But im no slouch........ I have yet to shoot what i consider a great Island Blacktail.

The Blacktails are the bane of my exsistance and then the fuel to my fire...
They are something to measure yourself by as a hunter....

But white tails bark at ya' ,,,, thats pretty cool

greenhorn
03-01-2012, 05:12 PM
What do you mean by barking white-tails??

03-01-2012, 05:16 PM
They snort at you. It is actually kinda scary when you hear it for the first time.... You think "WTF WAS THAT!!!"

greenhorn
03-01-2012, 05:22 PM
How many Luckys have you had when you claim to hear deer snorting/barking at you :)

Moose Guide
03-01-2012, 05:41 PM
How many Luckys have you had when you claim to hear deer snorting/barking at you :)

It is kind of a cross between a snort and a whistle, and it means you have been seen and now every deer within earshot knows something is up! If you hunt whitetails you will hear it!

swampdonkey
03-01-2012, 05:52 PM
I heard mulies snort

TheProvider
03-01-2012, 05:58 PM
A bt buck snorted me this fall, however he wont be snorting anymore