PDA

View Full Version : Help me plan a three-week-long Mainland B.C. roadtrip.

seanps
02-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Here's the score: I live in Vancouver (four years now), and my in-province traveling has been limited to the Highway 1 corridor, Sea-to-Sky to Pemberton, Kelowna and Hope areas. (I've also traveled on the Island a fair bit). But that's it.

I've never seen a wolf or bison in the wild, and I like lakes, rivers and the ocean. The highway to Bella Coola looks interesting, and I'd be keen to explore little-known parts of the province that are often overlooked. Haida Gwaii is also a must.

Let's say I have three weeks this spring to drive, hike, explore and see some of the best B.C. has to offer. Where should I go?

EDIT: Will travel in a 4Runner, with dog and fly rod.

02-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Go accross the south on highway three... Fish the Wiggy and Elk rivers then out to the highway to Invermere and fish White swan, up through revelstoke and game for highway 24 ( the fishermans highway ) then out to Blackwater and fish that. Vanderhoof to Dease and stop at Eddontennajohn ( SP) for some bows.
Up a bit mare to Blue lakes for pike.. Then out the same way and pver to Rupert for the Fishin there.......

ugg you need a month ok?

rcar
02-29-2012, 01:38 PM
If you are planning on a Bella Coola area destination you should consider either the first leg or last leg the drive from Cache Creek to Whistler via Duffy Lake rd/Hw99. It is a beautiful alternative to the Fraser canyon/HWY 1 route and goes through beautiful country on a road that has 6 or 7 (can't remember exactly) single lane bridges. You should also stop for an overnight hike at Joffre Lakes and hike all the way to the 3rd lake & Matier Glacier which is above the alpine. A fairly easy hike with an overnight stop around the second lake.

Have a great trip!

scoutlt1
02-29-2012, 01:39 PM
I would head east through the South Okanagan, into the Kootenays, then north to get yourself up through McBride to Prince George, then north through Chetwynd, FS. John, then up the Alaska Hwy through Ft. Nelson, Muncho Lake, Liard, Watson Lake in the Yukon, then south on the Dease Hwy, with a side trip to Telegraph Creek, then south with another side trip to Stewart, then south again, make a right and head to Pr. Rupert, across to the Charlottes, then back again east to Pr. George, then south to Williams Lake, then west to Bella Coola, then ferry to VI, then south back to Nanaimo and home.
There's fishing along the whole way.
That should keep ya busy for a while! :-)

Ruger4
02-29-2012, 01:40 PM
head east to kootenays , warning though , you may not want to come home !!

slowkey
02-29-2012, 01:42 PM
I've been looking into the Bella Coola trip myself this year (motorcycle). If your thinking about taking the ferry up to Prince Rupert get ready for some sticker shock. Right now if to get on the ferry with a motorcycle is $250!!! Going to Queen Charlotte Islands from Prince Rupert is $100!! again these are both motorcycle prices so imagine 4 runner in peak season

Follow the Fraser river up the canyon through Lillooet and then the back roads through Big Bar/Gang ranch is some pretty spectacular country

CanuckShooter
02-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Do the QCI on a separate trip and do it justice!! You could spend a couple of weeks exploring the islands alone, and ther is fishing, crabbing, diggIng clams, deer hunting sososo much to do and see!

barry1974w
02-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Just start driving. In three weeks you'll never see it all, but you should be able to have one hell of a good trip.

02-29-2012, 04:50 PM
I have also done trips where i am trying to get to places and need to cover ground.... basic road tripping. What i enjoy more is going to places for 2-3 days, geting the feel for them. Then moving on to the next. You dont get to see as much but you may get to do more.

PascalMcKay
03-09-2012, 02:44 PM
There are some pretty good fishing gear shops in Terrace, make sure to drop in to see all the huge salmon pictures in there!!

silvicon
03-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Let us look at the other side of the planed trip:
gas will be at least $1.50/liter, if israel unjustly attacks Iran, more like $2+/liter.
Hotels will charge premium prices ( near Gouchberta level), mosquitos & black flies, possible FN unrest, resulting in roadblocks, (HWY 16, 20, StewarT road, QCI (Haida kwai my rear-end), high ferry prices......

gutpile
03-09-2012, 07:28 PM
What Israel unjustly attacks Iran ? I hope they do attack Iran
will do the world a favour.

Marlin375
03-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Go accross the south on highway three... Fish the Wiggy and Elk rivers then out to the highway to Invermere and fish White swan, up through revelstoke and game for highway 24 ( the fishermans highway ) then out to Blackwater and fish that. Vanderhoof to Dease and stop at Eddontennajohn ( SP) for some bows.
Up a bit mare to Blue lakes for pike.. Then out the same way and pver to Rupert for the Fishin there.......

ugg you need a month ok?

That sounds about right, but I would add a loop north from Terrace and up to Kincolith through the lavabeds and out to hwy37 along the cranberry.....before heading north over the top and back down into Fort Nelson, pink mnt for some Bison viewing, you will see tons of moose, more black bears, eat fish for dinner every night.....sonds like a great trip, take your gold pan.

Marlin375
03-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Let us look at the other side of the planed trip:
gas will be at least $1.50/liter, if israel unjustly attacks Iran, more like $2+/liter.
Hotels will charge premium prices ( near Gouchberta level), mosquitos & black flies, possible FN unrest, resulting in roadblocks, (HWY 16, 20, StewarT road, QCI (Haida kwai my rear-end), high ferry prices......

Exactly why now is the time........fuel is never going to be cheaper as we move into the future.

XPEIer
03-10-2012, 07:51 AM
3 weeks is not a lot of time if you plan to explore and fish, so keep it close. The Hwy 3 to the Okanagan, up through Falkland - Chase back road, from Chase take the back road over to Barrier, then on to Hwy 24. Fish across to 100 Mile House, take the backway from 100 Mile to Farwell Canyon to Hwy 20, fish all the way to Bella Coola, drop down into the valley and ferry back to the Island.

You will need a float tube or small boat to fish many of the thousands of lakes you will cross between Falkland and Bella Coola.

Camping spots, www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca (http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca)

Xpeier