PDA

View Full Version : Private Pilots License

bruin
02-28-2012, 10:57 PM
I've been looking into getting my private license. So far I've discovered there's a huge number of flying schools in the Fraser Valley and I don't know where to start.
I'm looking for one with an instructor that has lots of flying experience, preferrably bush flying and a tail dragger would be great.
I"m in Abbotsford and the closer the better.
Any thoughts? Any other advice would be much appreciated.

GoatGuy
02-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Pro IFR is probably the best flight school in the LM. They're out of boundary bay. Haven't heard anything exciting about any of the flight schools in the FV.

As far as getting someone down there with bush time and tail dragger time, good luck!! The only bush rats down there are the guys flying floats for harbour and wca.

afors
02-29-2012, 07:18 AM
Have a friend that went through Coastal Pacific... from what I hear a lot of the instructors at those places are young pilots that are trying to get more hours. Each hour they are up with you is an hour they get but don't have to pay for the time... so finding an instructor with that kind of experience won't be easy.

bigwhiteys
02-29-2012, 07:44 AM
I've been looking into getting my private license. So far I've discovered there's a huge number of flying schools in the Fraser Valley and I don't know where to start.
I'm looking for one with an instructor that has lots of flying experience, preferrably bush flying and a tail dragger would be great.
I"m in Abbotsford and the closer the better.
Any thoughts? Any other advice would be much appreciated.
You need an old time outfitter to take you through their crash course... literally... hahaha... Bob Kjos taught my Grandpa how to fly cubs, start-to-finish it took him 2 weeks to get his license. 5 wrecked cubs later he's still around to tell the tales.

Carl

GoatGuy
02-29-2012, 08:46 AM
If you really want experience these guys do contract work:

http://bentpropproductions.com/

They're the real deal

GoatGuy
02-29-2012, 08:47 AM
You need an old time outfitter to take you through their crash course... literally... hahaha... Bob Kjos taught my Grandpa how to fly cubs, start-to-finish it took him 2 weeks to get his license. 5 wrecked cubs later he's still around to tell the tales.

Carl

There might be some learnin' in that.

bamf
02-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Well if your just getting interested into flying the first thing you should do is book yourself in for a aviation medical. It would suck to spend a couple grand on groundschool and dual flying getting ready for your first solo only to discover that you are illegible for a pilots license. As far as finding a good school/ instructor that is a bit trickier, in Abbotsford their is Coastal Pacific and a satellite school for Selkirk College (just for private students). From what I hear there are great schools in boundary bay too, those probably be the best choices.

If you don't find a school/ instructor you like in the FV then consider heading over to the island, schools that have seaplane endorsements tend to have instructors from a bush flying back ground. If you are not required to be home all the time (wife, kids) don't be afraid to travel to another part of the province for a couple of weeks to complete your license. As far as a taildragger and bush flying experience training go, picking are very slim. The only place I have seen that offers taildragger training and flying into back country strips is Alpine Aviation out of Whitehorse. Concentrate on learning the fundamental skills of flying to begin with, as they apply in every airplane whether a Piper Supercub or a Boeing 747.

If you have any questions about flying PM me, I would be glad to help.

olharley guy
02-29-2012, 07:53 PM

Carl

Howdy, now that is pretty funny - I totally believe it! LOL Later

bruin
03-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I've collected a list of flying schools in the Fraser Valley. I don't have much hope for finding a bush pilot by the sounds of it. Travelling for several weeks to complete my license is probably not an option with my current schedule. I was wondering what you think of completing my private license here and then travelling to Whitehorse to fly with an instructor there for 4 or 5 days to get some solid bush experience??
Thanks.

Oh and Carl, thanks for the advice but I think I'll pass!!

bruin
03-01-2012, 11:09 PM
If you really want experience these guys do contract work:
http://bentpropproductions.com/
They're the real deal

You got that right. Amazing what they can do with an airplane!

bruin
03-01-2012, 11:11 PM
[QUOTE=afors;1102496]from what I hear a lot of the instructors at those places are young pilots that are trying to get more hours. QUOTE]

I'm seeing that as well. Those that can't do, teach!

Ry151
03-01-2012, 11:15 PM
look at lawerance aviation if your willing to travel. They are in spring house and the instructors and owners are great. They had a cubb that could be rented on floats and skis. I think thier prices are the best around also, worth looking at.

bamf
03-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Bush flying these days isn't what it used to be, not a lot of companies do offstrip work save for outfitters and a few companies in the north. Most bush pilots these days fly floatplanes, landing at remote lakes on floats or skis depending on the season. Most companies that rent out their planes strictly prohibit any landing at a unprepared strip, (quite a few don't even want you landing at a prepared grass strip). Flying around the lower mainland and southern B.C. interior there have been many times that I wished I had floats on to land at the beautiful remote lakes that are nestled in the mountains.

Getting you private license in FV and then traveling to improve your experience in bush flying is a good idea too. Have you tried the forums on www.avcanada.com to find an instructor? Alot of experienced pilots visit them and can either help you or has a contact in the business that can help. Good luck.

bruin
03-02-2012, 01:17 PM
I didn't even realize there was a forum on AV. I'll get on there and ask around though.
One of the outfitters that I work for in the NWT uses Cubs almost exclusively. We build all of our own strips and some of them are "questionable" at best! He's offered to help me log some bush hours but I'd like to et some school time in first. I don't honk him or the rest of the crew would be too excited if I trashed a plane mid season!

Thanks for the advice bamf. It sounds like you do a fair bit of flying?

GoatGuy
03-02-2012, 01:59 PM
I didn't even realize there was a forum on AV. I'll get on there and ask around though.
One of the outfitters that I work for in the NWT uses Cubs almost exclusively. We build all of our own strips and some of them are "questionable" at best! He's offered to help me log some bush hours but I'd like to et some school time in first. I don't honk him or the rest of the crew would be too excited if I trashed a plane mid season!

Thanks for the advice bamf. It sounds like you do a fair bit of flying?

There's also a forum for cubs, most of the guys are bush rats, lots of guys from Alaska. Can't remember the name of the top of my head but you should be able to search it.

There used to be a tail-dragger, think it was a 150 or something, in Vernon as well that a person could take lessons on. Not sure where that's at now, could always call there.

bruin
03-02-2012, 02:16 PM
There's also a forum for cubs, most of the guys are bush rats, lots of guys from Alaska. Can't remember the name of the top of my head but you should be able to search it.

There used to be a tail-dragger, think it was a 150 or something, in Vernon as well that a person could take lessons on. Not sure where that's at now, could always call there.

Thanks for the info.