PDA

View Full Version : Wolf trapping thread 2012...kinda...

proguide66
02-28-2012, 07:21 PM
I originally started the wolf trapping threads to generate interest and share/gain knowledge as there is VERY little available to guys who want to learn.
It was a big effort and am quite pleased with the outcome. I'm not going to post a tonne of stuff this year as I just dont have time...but AM trapping as we are shooting film on trapping wolves right now.
Started 2 weeks ago and played cat/mouse ( Hitch and I) with a pack up the road from the house.
Just scored a 'BINGO' with this pretty she wolf about an hr ago , she's still warm....and sleeping on The Porch :mrgreen:

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/DSC010862.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/DSC010872.jpg

I will post up pics if we nail anymore , maybe other guys are hitting it and will post to ! m

If anyone is curious on 'how' or 'what' look up the past wolf trapping threads as its all in there from various dudes !

Spy
02-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Good luck Proguide I hope you trap them all!Your last trapping thread was epic to say the least!
Thanks
Spy:-D

OutWest
02-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Loving this. Great stuff, Steve! Congrats on the first one on 2012.

TheProvider
02-28-2012, 08:02 PM
nice looking wolf, way to go good luck

Downwind
02-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Very nice. If you're even half as successful as last year this will be another epic thread! Congrats on #1 for the year.

BlacktailStalker
02-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Nice, one is a start.

scoutlt1
02-28-2012, 08:30 PM
nice one!....looking forward to seeing more :-)

BillyBull
02-28-2012, 08:35 PM
thanks for sharing again... look forward to the thread.

proguide66
02-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks fellas !
Its weird , saw where 4 at least were layin near her above , real fresh , not stiff and still warm. They were digging up bones from the 3 deer they had massacred in one go two weeks ago.We lucked out and interupted them.
They will come back for her again and will run into a wall of snares I set before packing her off , the wind was already going down hill for the evening as well so they dont know I was off the road in the timber yet...they will have to come down to find out...and when they do....:twisted:

02-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Way to go PG 66, I've been waiting for this ......... congrats !

Keep er going ! Good luck and I hope you pick off the rest of them.

CT

barry1974w
02-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Glad you're starting the thread again this year, it's one I always follow. Good luck.

proguide66
03-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Here's a couple vids for upcoming wolf trapping show.....you wont connect on the link at the end as its not finnished yet , enjoy.

http://youtu.be/-56X43lG-CM

http://youtu.be/tu4PQUMsR3c

bowhunterbruce
03-01-2012, 04:01 PM
the trailer with the wolf in it pretty cool steve,
keep them comming.
bhb

gcreek
03-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Very good!

chilcotin hillbilly
03-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Good stuff Proguide,
You got me motivated to hang somemore cable, watched last years videos and then boiled up some snares. I have only caught two this year and missed on quite a few.:(

proguide66
03-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Its a bit of work isnt it! I have to load -unload the sled/gear 3 times in one day here , pain in ass..but when you get em its worth it. We'r at it today , hopefully more strung up ! Using the female in a new spot to sucker em in.( now that her carcass has cleared the neighboerhood of dogs !) Damned hilarious , have a few neighbers dogs who come through the yard or down the street.I saw them on the far side of road with tails tucked looking toward my place shitting themselves,haha....and bolting while lookin over their shoulders.

kishman
03-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Really nice colour on that one, nice job!

chilcotin hillbilly
03-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Went out to set more snares after watching proguides videos and look what I found in a set I actually thought about relocating. It shows you never know. A mature female for those who care.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/skinnercreek/hanginwolf.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/skinnercreek/wolfheadinghome.jpg

03-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Way to GO C H B !!

Nice she wolf ......... I wish you more success on nailing more ....... good luck to you

CT

proguide66
03-03-2012, 04:11 PM
PERFECT! she looks comfy on her new ride. fluffy bugger , trail set or bait? i'm still playing cat/mouse with the rest my 'victims' pack...they havent let yet. Yote bit it on video in a wolf set ......just have to figure out how to watch , keeps saying 'wrong format'..aarrrgh.

OutWest
03-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Nice work fellas! Looking forward to more.

chilcotin hillbilly
03-03-2012, 06:10 PM
PERFECT! she looks comfy on her new ride. fluffy bugger , trail set or bait? i'm still playing cat/mouse with the rest my 'victims' pack...they havent let yet. Yote bit it on video in a wolf set ......just have to figure out how to watch , keeps saying 'wrong format'..aarrrgh.

I trap a 150 acre property and i have had bait all winter near the centre, I let the wolves hit it a couple of times and then started trapping mostly piss pole sets and a couple step over trail sets. I then hung snares at most of the trails made throughout the winter. I have about 40 snares out now waiting for the return of the pack. This catch was made on a set i had all winter in what I thought would be a likely escape path if i showed up on my sled and scared a wolf off the bait. I thought I would move that snare as it wasn't even close all winter. I am glad I waited another week.

proguide66
03-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Good one ! Years back I was told from a wolf killer in Toad River that a wolf will walk in the EXACT footsteps again one day , wether its a week or months.He also told me that where a wolf eats something he will check that very spot EACH time he passes through that area for the rest of his life.I seen the proof a few times now. I made a small bait 2 years ago and saw a big track going to the exact spot 2 years later as it passed through.( he'll be gettin er next time through).
Anyway , Ive kept that in mind while learning. Last winter I had a fat footed wolf go up a rige and video taped it. I set on there and he never came through for the rest of the winter. I pulled all my snares when the snow was melting but couldnt take that one down as I was sure he would come back as well the deer migration trails were much higher so I felt it was safe to leave it...anyway , 2 months later bang...he came back and I zipped him , he was a brute to with a big assed foot !
I found once you murdered one er two they really avoid it. Where I zipped the bitch last tues , the rest of the pack is still 'hanging' but have about a 1/2 km barrier between them and where I got her.
I brought her back and planted her a mile away on their travel corridor....shall see what happens.

proguide66
03-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Also , funny , few years back I pounded a pile of pooches off dead beef , now they avoid it,lol

proguide66
03-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Check out how deep a wolf put his head through a snare before putting on the brakes and backing out !:shock:

http://youtu.be/0chlpKdFq3c

gcreek
03-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Check out how deep a wolf put his head through a snare before putting on the brakes and backing out !:shock:

http://youtu.be/0chlpKdFq3c

Someone left his spirit behind!!!

Had that happen before, snare was laying empty on the ground and the next tracks were 15 feet to the right of the trail.

Sh!+ Happens. Nice fur on that one.

chilcotin hillbilly
03-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Caught this female yesterday and picked her up today. Caught her in a snare I figured was a no miss set. It took a while but it payed off.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/skinnercreek/youngfemale.jpg

dingdongdenny
03-13-2012, 09:29 AM
yehaw!! get-r dun.:-D:-D

proguide66
03-17-2012, 05:00 AM
Good work Chilc. !!! ....i'm in Atlanta en route home right now...hoping for some pooch's patiently waiting for me tomarrow !

J_T
03-17-2012, 07:20 AM
I was in Ottawa yesterday and the American news that was on TV was running a piece on wolves. Man, they had this wolf expert and two fat chicks come on to the set with two wolves. All they talked about 'was the need to have wolves in Canada'. That they must do what they can to save them and the oil sands is resulting the death of hundreds of wolves due to loss of habitat. I couldn't believe it.

I resolved myself to the fact that wolves are so highly intelligent the reason these two on the show were so obedient with these two fat chicks wearing the way to tight T shirts was that the wolves were just waiting for the moment when they could turn these two behemoths into food.

chilcotin hillbilly
03-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Proguide, I hope so to, i have been waiting for some pictures its been alittle slow around here.

Moose63
03-17-2012, 08:36 AM
I look forward to your show. Give the Beasley bros. a run for their money. Start throwing in some ads and you'll have some gas money ;)