PDA

View Full Version : CWS migratory birds proposals

Crazy_Farmer
02-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Not sure if some of you have seen this yet but

Can you say DING DONG!!!

British Columbia

Increase the possession limit to three times the daily bag limit for migratory game birds
Following regulatory changes that have taken place in Western Canada and in the United States over the last few years, it is proposed to increase the possession limit from two times the daily bag limit to three times the daily bag limit for all species of migratory game birds.
This change is intended to increase opportunities for hunters who might otherwise be forced to stop hunting, or to gift their birds in order to continue hunting. This change is expected to have little effect on harvests of waterfowl.
Similar measures were put in place in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario in 2010, and in Quebec in 2011.

Snow Goose and Ross’s Goose

It is proposed to open Snow Goose and Ross’s Goose Hunting in all Provincial Region 2 Management Units located in the lower mainland of British Columbia. Historically, Wrangel Island Snow Geese and Ross’s Geese only wintered in Provincial Management Unit 2-4 and 2-5, but their fall and wintering range has expanded in recent years. The proposal supports the management goals of controlling the exponential Snow Goose population growth observed in recent years, addressing safety concerns at the Vancouver International Airport, alleviating crop damage and soil compaction in the Fraser River delta and reducing the ecological degradation of the Fraser River delta marshes caused by white goose foraging, while keeping a basic season on Ross’s Goose, which are not targeted by ongoing management programs. Daily Snow Goose bag limit would remain at 10 for Provincial Management Unit 2-4 and 2-5 and at 5 for all other Provincial Management Units and for Ross’s Goose.

White-fronted Goose

It is proposed to re-open the White-fronted Goose season in all Provincial Region 1 (Vancouver Island) and Region 2 (Lower mainland) Management Units. The hunting prohibition on White-fronted Geese in these two regions was implemented at a time when the species population was relatively rare and below management objectives. Currently, Provincial Regions 1 and 2 are the only regions of British Columbia without a White-fronted Goose season. The re-opening would target the Pacific Flyway population of White-fronted Goose, which now stands at twice the management goal, and not the much rarer Tule White-fronted Goose, which is not believed to occur regularly or in significant numbers in Provincial Regions 1 and 2. Daily bag limit would be set at five, the same level as in the rest of the province. The current White-fronted Goose harvest in British Columbia is estimated at less than 200 birds per year (2000-2010 CWS National Harvest Survey data), and the proposed regulatory change is expected to have a minimal effect on overall harvest.

Canada Goose

In order to assist with the management of temperate Canada Geese, it is proposed that the Canada Goose bag limit be increased from 5 birds daily to 10 birds daily for all of British Columbia. This initiative supports the management objectives of increasing sports harvest to control the increasing population of Canada Geese, providing assistance to jurisdictions with nuisance birds and assisting with crop depredation problems.

It is proposed that season dates in Provincial Management Unit 2-11 be standardized with season dates in the remainder of Region 2. Historically, season dates in Provincial Management Unit 2 were coordinated with those of Provincial Region 3. The intent of this change is to simplify federal and provincial regulatory tables.

It is proposed that Canada Goose split seasons be standardized in all of Provincial Region 2 except Provincial Management Unit 2-11, which parallels the seasons in Provincial Region 3. The main objective of the proposal is to alleviate Canada Goose conflicts within Region 2. The proposed change would simplify Region 2 Canada Goose regulations where, in previous years, three different seasons were offered across Provincial Management Units.

It is proposed that Canada Goose split seasons be standardized in all of Region 3 to alleviate Canada Goose conflicts within Region 3. The proposed change would simplify Region 3 Canada Goose regulations where, in previous years, two different seasons were offered across Provincial Management Units.

Marc
02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
I've heard the rumors for several months on the Canada geese limits. So my question is will we be able to shoot 10 Canada's and 5 white front geese per day?:mrgreen:

Crazy_Farmer
02-27-2012, 07:16 PM
it's different in a few other regions but I think specks will fall under the dark goose limit so you could potentially shoot 5 Canada's/cackling and 5 specks. 10 dark geese with a max of 5 within that limit for specks.

I don't see it happening but if they were put with snows it'd be like you said.

Marc
02-27-2012, 10:07 PM
If they want to knock down the Resident Canada population it would be silly to limit to only 5 Canada's. I have a feeling it will be more of a political limit then a science based limit. I can't see any problem with taking 10 Canadas and 5 speckle bellies. If they try to combine the two you know what's going to happen, guys are going to hold out for 5 specks like they do for mallards with ducks. Specks are way better eating then Canada's.

f350ps
02-27-2012, 10:25 PM
If they want to knock down the Resident Canada population it would be silly to limit to only 5 Canada's. I have a feeling it will be more of a political limit then a science based limit. I can't see any problem with taking 10 Canadas and 5 speckle bellies. If they try to combine the two you know what's going to happen, guys are going to hold out for 5 specks like they do for mallards with ducks. Specks are way better eating then Canada's.
Maybe guys on the island may hold out but over here you'd be hard pressed to get a limit of specs, or any for that matter. I could have had one go at them last year. If they really want to knock the Canada numbers down they should ( and I know this won't be popular but ) they should limit the junior hunt to ducks only. Okay, light me up! K

trapperdan2061
02-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Hay how about throwing some trumpets into the bag, there are a lot of farmers having problems with them........

All for having more Canada's and ducks too

Marc
02-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Maybe guys on the island may hold out but over here you'd be hard pressed to get a limit of specs, or any for that matter. I could have had one go at them last year. If they really want to knock the Canada numbers down they should ( and I know this won't be popular but ) they should limit the junior hunt to ducks only. Okay, light me up! K

There have been times where we had to hold off from shooting because there were specs amongst Canada's or cacklers. We didn't see many a few years back but they're getting more and more abundant. They also tend to stick to certain fields. I've been thinking of getting some speckle belly decoys but don't want to drop the coin for them until I see the season written in the regs.

lorneparker1
02-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Same with us mark. Especially early. We will land flocks because is low light its hard to tell the small geese from the specks. And plus we can SWAT them which is always a bonus.

Ian F.
02-28-2012, 09:19 PM
On a good day, that's a whole lot of Rueben's! The Morrison Lake Club may need a bigger board!