PDA

View Full Version : Badlands back packs

b.rockburn
02-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Hey guys ... Just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with "Badlands" back packs. I'm looking a purchasing the "Superday" model and it's going to be about $350 after everything is said and done so I'm wondering if anyone here has a review they can give. Actually is there a product review section of this site? If there is I missed it and I'm sorry if this is mis posted.

Any help would be appreciated, it's a lot of money to throw down on a pack so want to make sure it's worth it.

Thanks,

BR

02-27-2012, 11:52 AM
I have a Badlands Diablo. 189$
It was the first awesome pack i have owned. In the past i have just owned medyocer. This Diablo is BY FAR the most comfortable pack i have ever owned.
It only has one season on it but in that season i discoverd how nice it is to have a good pack.

I am not terribly familiar with the model you are looking at but one of the things i like about my pack is the frame keeps the pack away from your back. It is not a "Pack Frame", its soul purpose is to let your back breathe.... Which it does and does it well.

Take a long look into what you want to do with your pack, Badlands has a bunch of them with different gidgets in them. Island Outfitters has a good selection ans well as Whole sale.

Two thumbs up from me.

Riverratz
02-27-2012, 12:22 PM
We have the 2200 and 2800, both are absolutely awesome, best we have ever owned.
Ours are slightly larger than "daypack" and will handle 1-3 days easily.
Once you have adjusted the pack to your individual size, fit, etc. are incredibly comfortable.
Go to the Badlands site and download their inst. on how to do proper fit, etc. and you won't be disappointed.
Best warranty (lifetime) and service anywhere, anytime. They absolutely, positively stand behind their warranty, no questions, no arguments, and it doesn't matter what is wrong with it or how it happened.
Highly recommend the water bladder option, be sure you get the right one for your pack.........different models for different packs.
We have owned lesser quality packs over the years, there is no comparison in all respects.
As was mentioned, they have lots of different models to choose from, decide what you want to do with it and carefully choose the model that will suit your needs. Don't expect a "daypack" to take you into the mountains for lengthy trips, they have larger packs for that purpose.
Can't comment on the particular model you are considering but if it's anything like the others, (which I'm certain it will be), it's money well spent in my opinion, you won't be sorry.

Deeboe
02-27-2012, 12:38 PM
I bought the smaller daypack a few years back... the quality was great just a little small for myself.. ended up selling it to a super nice guy from HBC, The only problem i had with it was 1 of the zipper pulls had snapped, but looked like an easy repair. They are great quality packs. A little overpriced in my opinion.... i would shop around a bit and see what else you could get for less... Just my opinion..

Tenacious Billy
02-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Hey guys ... Just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with "Badlands" back packs. I'm looking a purchasing the "Superday" model and it's going to be about $350 after everything is said and done so I'm wondering if anyone here has a review they can give. Actually is there a product review section of this site? If there is I missed it and I'm sorry if this is mis posted.

Any help would be appreciated, it's a lot of money to throw down on a pack so want to make sure it's worth it.

Thanks,

BR

Badlands makes nice packs. I own a 2800 and have no complaints on it as a mid-size pack.......the Superday was too small for my liking, but whatever fits the bill.

350 bucks is way too much to pay for that pack....shop around and you'll get a better price.

Dutch Ppoacher
02-27-2012, 12:49 PM
I have had a "superday" badlands pack for a long time and it has served me well! payed about $180 for it about 8-10 yrs ago. the model has changed a since but still has the same capasity.
i use it to carry food and equ for day hikes. i can't see it helping much for carrying meat out of the bush. bit too small. but as said above every comfortable never a burden to pack. very quiet in the timber due to the soft fabric.
i have been thinking about picking up a 2200 or 2800 model to have the ability to pack out meat.
i think the new superday models have the hypervent and h2o copatibility on them. would like the hypervent option for sure.

just my 2 cents... happy hiking

DP

Ambush
02-27-2012, 01:11 PM
I have a Badlands 4500, a 2200, a Bino Vault, a large fanny and a few add-on pockets for video camera and such.

The 2200 is probably the most versitile and I have used it for overnight in warm weather. It is a bit heavy empty, but it can pack a real load quite comfortably. The 2200 seems like overkill for a daypack untill you want to put most of that deboned muley on the meat shelf and head the several kilometers back to the truck. And the zippered opening in the front panel is very handy.

Unless you get the mesh back, you will sweat under the pack and I beleive the Superday has that feature.

I'm pretty sure, with a bit of shopping, you won't have to spend much over $200 for the Superday.

As far as the the hydration bladder goes, DON't get the Badlands one. They are the worst tasting things possible.
I've got two for anybody who wants them.

b.rockburn
02-27-2012, 01:35 PM
I am leaning towards the 2800 because I think that will fit me well for an entire day and maybe over night in the bush. It's a prety big purchase for a back pack but if I'm going to spend the time trecking around in the woods I don't want to cut the budget on anything, I mean I want good quality stuff that won't let me down when I might really need it. That being said, I don't want to spend money just for the sake of a name either. But so far, I've not read a bad review or heard any big complaints about the badlands product line.

vortex hunter
02-27-2012, 01:36 PM
I think the OX pack looks good also ....

pnbrock
02-27-2012, 01:43 PM
2800 best pack I have used can hold a lot of weight even a whole boned out deer.

oclarkii
02-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Feel the need to play devil's advocate here. Against my better judgement, I borrowed a big badlands pack - can't remember the model, but I know he paid around $500 for it, I think its ~4500 - for a backpack trip last year. I hated that thing every step of the way. It was very uncomfortable and hurt my hips and shoulders bad. It seemed to be built well, but overthought. The zippers are strong but must be in the exact right position/angle to open easily. By the end I'd broken most of the plastic buckles. I swear it was 15 lbs empty - no way I'd call it lightweight. I wished for one of my internal packs the entire time.

Incidently, my buddy had almost the exact experience with the exact pack this year as well.

Just my opinion, thought I'd throw it out there. I'm sure the day packs are fine, but that big pack was good for FA.

Ambush
02-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Just my opinion, thou

Feel the need to play devil's advocate here. Against my better judgement, I borrowed a big badlands pack - can't remember the model, but I know he paid around $500 for it, I think its ~4500 - for a backpack trip last year. I hated that thing every step of the way. It was very uncomfortable and hurt my hips and shoulders bad. It seemed to be built well, but overthought. The zippers are strong but must be in the exact right position/angle to open easily. By the end I'd broken most of the plastic buckles. I swear it was 15 lbs empty - no way I'd call it lightweight. I wished for one of my internal packs the entire time.

Incidently, my buddy had almost the exact experience with the exact pack this year as well.
ght I'd throw it out there. I'm sure the day packs are fine, but that big pack was good for FA.

Well if "you'd swear it was 15lbs empty" then I guess the rest of what you said should be regarded in the same light. Maybe your buddy stashed a bunch of beers in it.
The 4500 pack weighs about seven pounds. And if you had the wrong torso length and the wrong belt, then yes it would be a tough slug.

Is it the best pack out there? Likely not, but it's a third the price of what's considerd the best.

WKCotts
02-27-2012, 07:02 PM
i have the diablo... it's awesome, well worth the $200

oclarkii
02-27-2012, 07:35 PM
In my opinion..... it was a piece of crap - bottom line. And I had it adjusted for my torso, it fit fine and felt good till I packed it with weight for a while - but thanks for the tip though. And thanks for clearing up the weight thing too, I knew the quickest way to find out was to throw that 15 lb thing out there and somebody would jump up to point out a mistake - first prize goes to Ambush.

Just looking at it, it looks like a good pack - just saying what I thought about it after putting it to some hard use. I wish there were beers in it though, good call...

Ambush
02-27-2012, 07:52 PM
In my opinion..... it was a piece of crap - bottom line. I wish there were beers in it though, good call...

Yep, enough beers will make any pack feel good. Especialy as a pillow.:mrgreen:

It is nice try a pack in real life conditions, before buying. Now at least you know what you don't want.

BromBones
02-27-2012, 09:20 PM
I own both a 2800 and an OX. Great packs.

The 2800 is large enough for me to pack for ~3 days (siltarp & sleeping bag camp, no tent), and sturdy enough to carry out a deer sized critter. Squashes down fairly trim when empty as well for a daypack. I know that pack and the 2200 are proven to haul weights way above what they should be capable of, and hold up well.

The OX is an awesome rig as well, I dont think you can build a pack any more skookum than that thing and be under 10 lbs empty weight. It's a thing of beauty for carrying those 100 + lb loads.

keoke
02-27-2012, 09:30 PM
I have a 2800 and my only complaint is the hip strap. In the store it felt like i could get it tight enough, but when I loaded it I found I could not get it tight enough. I am 35" around the hip and so is the hip belt as tight as it goes. I have seen some mods to get it tighter online but have not got around to do it. Other than that its a great pack. I had a boned out bear in it with the hide rolled up and strapped in between the "gull wings", just wish the hip belt was tighter to transfer the load to my hips more.

RHkootenay
02-27-2012, 10:35 PM
I have the Superday and love it as a daypack. For what it is meant to do it is awesome, just don't plan on packing out an animal in it (comfortably) as it is frameless. Oh and as others have said, $350 is WAY too much for that pack. A lot better prices can be easily found.

ianwuzhere
02-27-2012, 10:43 PM
i own the ox, been 100% for me and cant wait to use it soon..
they are pretty expensive in the $500 range and ive heard of some good packs for lots cheaper but ive never tried em..

buford19
02-28-2012, 02:27 AM
Own a 2200 for around 5-6 years now, and have abused the hell out of it. No real complaints, just one broken zipper clevis. For a day pack they are real good.

b.rockburn
02-28-2012, 08:38 AM
I guess maybe before I make the buy I should try it on in the store with some actual itlems in it to produce some weight so I can see if it's going to fit me right. Has anyone put a gun on the back? Was it awkward? Are there any other brands of packs that would compare for the price?

Thanks,

BR

02-28-2012, 09:19 AM
That is exactly it, Go to Island Outfitters and try some on. Then come home and google Badlands ant try to figure out what other packs are similar.
I have never owned one but "Mystery Ranch" keeps popping up here as a compairable alternative.

BearStump
02-28-2012, 09:23 AM
I've been using the "superday" for 2 yrs now and used it to pack out 3 different bears and it was relatively comfortable. I only fit 2 quarters in it at a time and that was about the max load for that pack. $350 is too much for this pack, you should be able to find one closer to the $250 mark if you look.
For its intended purpose I think it is a really good pack.
I've been wanting to buy an open frame pack with a large "fanny" type bag for my day stuff. It would make the pack out much easier.

brock77
02-28-2012, 10:03 AM
wait don't pay that much.... look at ...camofire.. they had it on for $104 and the 2200 for $150..... u just have to be patient watch it every day to what comes up... I'm waiting for the same pack to come up can't beat that price....

grizzlydueck
02-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Hey bud ! The bablands 2200 pack is the bomb ! I have bought over 10-- 2200 packs for my guide-hunting buddies ! last year we packed out 2 whole de-boned northern moose over 1.5 km through nasty sh%t aswell my parner did his in his 2200 =soo comfortable if you learn how to adjust it just like any other pack =learn how to use it & how to load it properly and it will be as welcome as a great pair of boots !
here's some of my badlands hauls =not next to the road but all remote areas
a mule deer
3 whitetails
my monster west kootenays bull 5 over loaded trips
3 other bull elk =sm spike to big mature bulls
2 bear
to many 5o lbs salt licks to count
My prospecting gear =soo many lrg and sm tools
grain and other feed to bait piles in 30'c to minus 30c in sask
treestands ladders blinds with my everyday gear at the same time !
the list goes on and on = it's a machine !
the rifle holder works great -pleanty of room for my 20-60by80spotting scope= large tripod+rain gear,clothes,big lunch,etc
From my personal experience the 2200 has a much better design for it's pockets and over all use than the 2800=you should look them both over and deside for yourself! The warranty is amazing =I have used it on 2 of the packs for zippers and have gotten 2 brand new packs ..no questions asked with a warranty like that your set for life !
If you look at my gallery =it's in some of the pics and i'll add a couple of other badlands pics!
cheers!

BigSlapper
03-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Had the "Superday" .... until I tried the new "Hybrid". Both are nice, I've found the Hybrid to be more comfortable, better internal storage organization, way more pockets .... Both weigh the same. Super day has a better gun carrying system (outside middle of pack instead of Hybrids internal side carry) but I carry my rifle in hand most times on day hunts. Both are quiet. Hybrid has some cool new magnetic closures replacing the outer zippers - works like hot damn. Easy and quiet getting your rangefinder, snacks, gps, whatever ...

valleyHunter
03-01-2012, 09:20 AM
thats a lot of money for a superday, wheres it coming from?

b.rockburn
03-01-2012, 09:54 AM
thats a lot of money for a superday, wheres it coming from?

The one I was looking at was from anonline place and I can see they over priced .. was looking at the 2800 at Island Outfitters and it was around the $320 range. Does that seem reasonable?

huntcoop
03-01-2012, 10:51 AM
WS in Nanaimo are charging $329.99 for the 2800, $199.95 for the Diablo and $219.95 for the Superday.

BromBones
03-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Check out Grouse River or Omineca Sports, I've bought 4 Badlands packs between the two stores, had the best prices at the time.

BigSlapper
03-01-2012, 09:55 PM
$175 on eBay for the Superday all day long - $10 bucks more for the "Hybrid" ... Shipped into Point Roberts (The Letter Carrier)

b.rockburn
03-02-2012, 03:22 PM
I never thought of looking on Ebay. But I think I should at least to go a retail location and try it out .. do an inspection to make sure it's what I need.

03-02-2012, 03:41 PM
I never thought of looking on Ebay. But I think I should at least to go a retail location and try it out .. do an inspection to make sure it's what I need.

You HAVE TO FONDEL THEM!!!
but it on ebay if you like but like i and others have said, there is a bunch of different "Options" you need to look at.....
i just want to go home now and put mine on and walk around the living room now!

huntcoop
03-02-2012, 04:54 PM
$175.00 USD + shipping and duty on eBay VS. $219.99 CDN locally..........kind of a no brainer.

grizzlydueck
03-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Badlands 2200 pack on sale today 40% off =check out the deals of the day =Camofire.com

huntcoop
03-05-2012, 10:45 AM
The 2800 will be on sale today, 2200 was a few days ago.

b.rockburn
03-06-2012, 09:12 AM
On sale on camofire? Is there a way to tell what's coming up for sale? I've looked around the site and I see previous items but it seems you're locked down to whatever is on sale at the time.

Ry151
03-06-2012, 11:20 AM
I have a superday pack and its awsome, havent used it hunting yet (christmas gift) but i have loaded it up and wear it while walking the dog and snowshoeing for hours at a time and its really comfortable. It has a lot of room if needed and can be sized down with the compression straps but i dont think you can haul meat with it if thats your intention. The only complaint i have is that the side pockets on the waist belt are to far back, so i have to still take the pack off to get at them but it might be just the way it fits me (not a big deal to me).

I paid $219 for mine so $350 is to much.

huntcoop
03-06-2012, 12:56 PM
On sale on camofire? Is there a way to tell what's coming up for sale? I've looked around the site and I see previous items but it seems you're locked down to whatever is on sale at the time.

Either sign up and get the daily email updates or you'll just have to keep checking back often.

proguide66
03-06-2012, 01:02 PM
I bought the smaller daypack a few years back... the quality was great just a little small for myself.. ended up selling it to a super nice guy from HBC, The only problem i had with it was 1 of the zipper pulls had snapped, but looked like an easy repair. They are great quality packs. A little overpriced in my opinion.... i would shop around a bit and see what else you could get for less... Just my opinion..

I'm not sure wich one I havebut the first fall EVERY zipper pull broke as well half the buckles...:?

2tins
03-06-2012, 01:51 PM
I had a Super Day two years ago and could only use it on two trips as it was so uncomfortable. I had a good load in it for being on foot for the day and it actually gave me a sore lower back, neck and shoulders. I adjusted it lots and just could not make it work for me. Two of my hunting partners have Eberlestock packs and think they're the way to go. Me and another hunting partner have Mystrery Ranch packs (nice frame with a longbow and one with a crewcab), they are a bit heavier empty but the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. Find some guys in yer neck of the woods with some different packs and try them out for a couple hours with some weight in them. You could save yourself some pain and prevent wrecking your hunt. Good luck, 2tins.

b.rockburn
03-09-2012, 09:00 AM
I've been looking at the mystery ranch hunting packs but I don't see any reviews where someone is carrying a rifle on the pack like the badlands packs can do. Am I missing something or do the mystery ranch packs just not have that option? I'm looking for a bag that I can do a 3 or 4 day hike/camp with or take out hunting for the day which would require a gun sling.

huntcoop
03-09-2012, 09:54 AM
There is a video on the MR website showing how to secure a rifle to the side of the pack.

kuva
03-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Te packs look very nice, and looks like it could take a beating but its way too much money for something made in Vietnam... Come on middle man.....

Bisonfirst
03-09-2012, 02:05 PM
My pack as well had all the zipper pulls snap off. Nice pack otherwise.