PDA

View Full Version : trolling motor battery

Bistchen
02-27-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm saving up for a little 12 ft fishing rig for the spring.

I'm hoping to buy something off craigslist with all the bells and whistles. I'm also planning on buying an electric trolling motor with battery if it does not come with the package.

My question is:

What is a good battery to buy that will hold a solid charge for a respectable amount of time? Are those gel batteries any good for this time of thing? Im planning on getting a 30-40 lb thrust minn kota or something like that.

thanks for the help.

SUAFOYT
02-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Definitely go with the gel battery or if you can spare the extra change the advanced glass mat (AGM). These batteries are designed for repeated recharging and will not cause you major grief if the battery tips over unlike a wet cell.

BCKID
02-27-2012, 10:55 AM
You will need a deep cycle battery. They are designed to be recharged a bunch of times. The last ones I bought were Interstate and they seem to work as good as any others I have had. I usually have 2 batteries and have one in the boat and one on the charger. Get the biggest you can carry. I have only asked about the gel ones but I was told they are good. The newer electric trolling motors are better than the older style but are $$

gmcgilli66
02-28-2012, 09:55 PM
3 suggestions:
1 make sure your motor has a "maximizer" feature. That extends the battery life a lot!
2 Take a look at the twin 6 volt systems used in golf carts and motorized wheelchairs. Long draw-down times. Yes, the gel cells and AGM batteries offer an advantage. Not to mention pays for itself after melting down only one piece of gear with battery acid!!
3 Buy a good charger: Xantrex or other high quality is worth the money.
Check out a battery specialty store for the straight goods. Walmart will sell you almost anything.

Black Lab
03-05-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm not a fan of deep cycle batteries. The ones I've had didn't last very long and only come with a 12 month warranty. I just buy a regular car battery with max cold cranking rating and a 3 year free replacement and 72 month warranty. Just don't tell them what you use it for. :twisted: I also have a small solar cell hooked to it.

lineofsight
03-05-2012, 11:17 PM
If you get a gel battery check that your charger is compatible.

spreerider
03-06-2012, 02:14 AM
deep cycle batteries should last way longer than a starting battery if used properly, if not then either you misscharged them, or improper storage.
we have batteries in security lights going on 15 years and they still work fine.

tuchodi
03-06-2012, 07:41 AM
I switched over from deep cycle to the Gel Cell and have been very impressed. Both the old deep cycle and my Gel Cell were the same size and very comparable in cranking amp hours and the Gel Cell lasts longer on my trolling motor.