PDA

View Full Version : Who is that masked man??

shotgunjohn
02-26-2012, 06:34 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/P2250075.jpg

We had a pretty good hunt Sunday morning after the geese won on Saturday. The way the birds were flaring from our decoys on Saturday we figure word must have got to them that a certain hot shot hunter from up Island was supposed to be hunting with us. Unforseen circumstances prevented his joining us, but apparently the geese did not get the memo.

RENO
02-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Nice Going, glad to see you guys got a few, I was out this morning as well, it was a bit chilly, the first birds came by around 7ish, but to high, later some sngles and out of range, just to have a look. There was a few nice big flocks flying by ,you know the ones we dream of landing but never do. Now the ducks were another story at least 1/200 or so ducks came in ,boy that was real nice to see, but we were there for geese and never got an chance. Still a great day out.

Marc
02-26-2012, 10:16 PM
It was nice to get out of the house for a breath of fresh air. It was a bust on Saturday but still an enjoyable day spent with friends.

Today was icing on the cake with a few birds on the ground to fill the void in the freezer! Smoker will be flashed up later this week!

Now to get some sleep and try and kick this cold / flue.

lorneparker1
02-26-2012, 11:45 PM
LOL i am not sure about hot shot, but i was frustrated i couldnt make it, but it looks like you guys made it happen with out me!

Nice shoot!

fowlweather
02-27-2012, 12:14 AM
hey i know that guy! good going, did tanya make it out?

shotgunjohn
02-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Sorry Lorne coudn't resist a little joke. We tried doing the layout thing on Saturday and these spring survivor geese made us out every time. Saw probably 400 birds and 399 of them saw us. Then the one that didn't see us in time we missed. Sunday's spot was more pairs and small groups and we had good cover so we got pretty much right under them which is always a lot of fun.
As for T, fowl , unfortunately she had to play Mama to the baby calves this weekend.

RENO
02-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Morning guys, was reading yesterday article late season geese, thought I would pass on some of the things mentioned I'm going to try in a week hope it works.
They said try less decoys on the field this guy uses about 16, a full spread in early season. also don't call as much as in early season, less young birds in late season that are attracted to the calling and drag others in. Try to mimic the speed and sound of the call the the pair or single is making, also a light sounding call works better, remember they are tired and are looking for a place to literally veg out. Also you gotta pick your day in late season, wind from the south, and the wind is in there face even better,apparently geese breath better? and windy it gets them up. Now for you guys who can't judge distance, remember it's a shotgun not a rifle 30 yards is max, check your shotgun at 30 yards with a 4x4 sheet of paper to view your pellet density, make sure you have a shot shell that works for you with enough pellets on target, also if the end of the barrel covers most of the goose/ duck it's to far. All you end up doing is making noise,scaring birds and worst wounding game. Get them close/head shot. we make sure are rifle is sighted in and matched with the right bullet and cartridge , but when it comes to waterfowl/upland we seem to grab any old cheap box, and head out only to be frustrated no birds. So match your shotgun to correct/shells so you have enough pellets on target and get them in close. Happy hunting

Foxton Gundogs
02-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Missed yesterdy way to sick to shoot, WTFs with that too sick to shoot never thought I'd see the day. Good on you guys nice to live vicariously BUT JUST AIN'T THE FRIGGING SAME GRRR:icon_frow

RENO
02-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Feel better/we were born to hunt hope you get out soon

shotgunjohn
02-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear you couldn't get out Foxton. But if my post picked your spirits up a little then my job here is done.