PDA

View Full Version : Morning Elk Hunt...

brotherjack
10-19-2006, 10:38 AM
This year, our freezer is already mostly full, of elk and deer both – and has been since pretty early in the season. So, I haven't exactly been hunting like I mean it for a while now. However, as elk season is rapidly coming to a close for another year, and I do still have a tag, I have been getting out a bit this week; if for no other reason than to improve on my very lacking skills as an elk hunter.

I hit the bush at just past the crack of dawn, heading down a big long draw (almost big enough to call a valley - it's a 5 minute hike to the ridges in some spots). This is an area where I've run across elk in the late season in previous years. This year, as I made my way down the draw, there was almost no elk sign to be seen – and what there was wasn't fresh. This didn't bode well, so after a 20 minute hike, I decided I might as well clear out of there and maybe go chase mule deer or something.

On the way back out, I took a slightly different route than I had ever been before. About 5 minutes into the return trip, I heard water gurgling from across the wide draw. Figuring there must be a spring over there, which would mean possibly a well used watering hole, I meandered over to have a look. Sure enough, a beautiful little mountain spring. There were tracks, but tamarack needles all over the forest floor made it impossible to tell if they were fresh or not. I sat by the spring for about an hour, just to see if anything came and went. After a bit, as I am 'on call' for a living, I checked my silenced cell phone for any messages. Sure enough, work to be done. Nothing major, but enough to get me to start the hike back to the truck again.

I had walked maybe 2 minutes back towards the truck, when I hear crashing in the bush ahead of me. Kicking myself for not being more quiet, and paying attention to what was ahead of me; I watched a spike bull elk moving at a fast walk come right at me. I froze before he saw me, and he came to within about 15 feet of my position before he figured out I wasn't a tree. Even then, he didn't panic, just stopped and started staring at me. Up on the ridge line above, a bull bugled, and I heard crashing in several parts of the bush near the source of the sound.

Kicking myself mentally, I held still until the spike bull decided to rejoin his comrades, and headed back up the hill – not spooked, but very nervous. Once he made it out of sight, I cranked out a couple of 'lost cow' calls on the old 'hoochie mamma', and waited. The bull up the hill bugled at me again – this time sounding like he was farther away than last time. I thought my chances pretty slim at this point, but I crept up towards the ridge line anyway.

A few minutes later, just before I made the crest, I sat down by a stump, and honked the hoochie mamma once more. Lo' and behold, crashing the bush, coming my way! After a minute, a cow elk materialized out of the fairly thick brush. She made here way along a trail about 25 yards to my left, heading down into the floor of the draw. I sat there frozen, hoping the bull might follow.

Sure enough, less than a minute later, a BIG bull crunches his way into view, on the same track the cow had just taken. This is a much bigger bull than the little 6x6 I took last year (who has to be one of the smallest typical 6x6'x on record). My heart rate doubled instantly, as I started counting points on the nearest antler. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.... 2, 4, ... 5... oh, bummer. Well, how about that far antler... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... and is that another point on the tip of that fifth tine? Why, yes it is! It's so small though. I stared as hard as I could, but I just couldn't convince myself that the little nub was long enough (legally speaking) to call a point. It has to be an inch, and this looked like closer to ½ or ¾ of an inch to me. Definitely too close for me to want to risk it. Talk about frustrating though! Even as I sit here and type this, a little part of my mind thinks that maybe that nub was longer than I thought it was, and I just passed on a legal elk; inside of bow range no less!

As if that wasn't enough, before the big bull was even out of sight, a slightly smaller bull with badly busted up antlers followed on along. This guy, though smaller and with thinner tines on his antlers, I'm pretty sure started the season as 6x6. By now though, he's got one tine on either side that's been broken off at the base, and several that have broken tips. Definitely not legal.

As soon as they got out of sight, I started second guessing if the first bull was six point or not. I honked the hoochie mamma a couple of times, hoping he'd come back and give me a better look at the questionable antler. He bugled at me a couple of times, but no such luck. They crunched slowly off into the bush in the general direction of my truck. I waited a minute or two, but no more elk were forthcoming.

As they never spooked and ran, I made an attempt to stalk back up on them, and get a better look at the antler of the questionable elk. But either the pace I had to keep to for silence sake was too slow to catch them, or they turned off another way once they got ahead of me a bit. I made it all the way back to the truck without ever seeing them or hearing them again.

And that was my morning...

Bigbuckadams
10-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Tough one! If it makes you feel any better, you made the right call. Any question on legalities, wait for another opportunity. Shoot first and count points later is not a good way to go when there are antler size restrictions. Better luck on your next outing :lol: .

twoSevenO
10-19-2006, 11:05 AM
you need to learn how to walk like a Ninja .... not a Sasquatch

:D:D:D:D

Sounds like you still had lots of fun, i know i would have. You'll get 'em next time.

Elkhound
10-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Sounds like a nice morning BJ......I too have not been out as much as I would like.

brotherjack
10-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah, it was definitely one of the more enjoyable elk hunt's I've ever been on. As the vast majority of my elk hunting attempts end in not even seeing anything but squirrels - days like this are a very rare treat. As I think about it - this was only the second time in my life I've seen a bull elk during hunting season that was big enough to bother counting points on to see if it was legal or not. Definitely a special event, for me. :)

ohno
10-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Great story and good call on the Elk. There are too many animals shot and then left in the bush.

brotherjack
10-19-2006, 01:09 PM
The bull I was looking at this morning and trying to see points had an antler almost exaclty like the near side antler on this guy (borrowing from another thread):

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/51080007.jpg

Robert_G
10-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Never shot an elk in my life. Your morning sure sounded exciting.

Will
10-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Good on Ya.........
Always better to Look before and be sure then After it's on the ground:|
Yep, sounds like your Having Fun at any rate 8-)

RiverOtter
10-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Have to concur with your call. That's what seperates the real hunters from the culls that pack guns in the bush every year.

For me, just knowing that I had an animal dead to rights and let it pass is a huge reward. I would have done what you did.

RO

quadrakid
10-19-2006, 09:11 PM
good call, hell you got lots of meat and your one of those lucky guys that lives in elk country, good passups are plenty exciting too.

brotherjack
10-19-2006, 09:18 PM
There was never any doubt in my mind that I was NOT going to pull the trigger until/unless I was 100% sure I had a legal animal in the crosshairs. 99% sure is not good enough - not ever. Neither is "plausable deniability".

But, I must say, at 25 yards and broadside, with a whole freight train load of adrenalin in my veins - looking at a monster five by six point elk who's sixth point might or might not have been long enough for legal specifications - I got a pretty deep personal understanding of just how easy it would be to make that mistake. If I hadn't already made up my mind before I ever reached that moment what I would do in that situation... that's a scary thought.

brotherjack
10-19-2006, 09:41 PM
good passups are plenty exciting too.

LOL - heck, in a way, passups are the best hunts of all! You get all the excitement, without the backbreaking labour, or the sobering feeling of taking a life.

elkster
10-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Yep, having those elk up that close. The noise, the smell, sure gets the old ticker knocking. Good call. tough, but good

Elkaholic
10-20-2006, 07:22 AM
You did the right thing BrotherJack. Me and my brother had a similar situation this year opening night of elk season near cranbrook. We setup in an area we heard bugleing in the morning and waited. About 7pm I started using the hoochie momma. Well this bull started screaming below us. So we decided well lets head down there and take a look. We stand up and behind us at 40 yards, wind blowing right into his face is a 4 x 4 with 2 little points that were about 1/2 3/4 of an inch each. We looked long and hard at those points and neither of us wanted to make the wrong decision so we let him walk and went after the other bull. This bull was a big 5 x 5 with the 6th growing but yet again was not long enough to be legal. We just chocked the night up as an excellent experience and walked back to the truck talking about the night.

It takes a good person not to get trigger happy especially the way our season is, lots of bulls get counted on the ground and its going to kill our season eventually.

Fisher-Dude
10-20-2006, 08:10 AM
That's the "essence" of elk hunting...hearing the bugle...the crashing sound of a bull coming in...the smell of the elk.

Good call on not shooting that bull. The good memory of the experience will be so much sweeter than the bad memory of taking an illegal animal.