PDA

View Full Version : tuchodi 2011

Deaddog
02-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Well, finally had some downtime to put together my hunting from last season. The season started off as it always does with a trip up the river with Riverjet Adventures, our numbers were less this year with four of us doing the main trip, a fifth fellow(who is camera shy) joined up later in the trip. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytvUOaKdVjQ)
://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytvUOaKdVjQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytvUOaKdVjQ)

We arrived in mid-September to find the rut in full swing,our first day in we set up a main camp, no sooner was it set up than anotherboat full of hunters pulled in to our camp, they had been hoping to camp in thesame spot as us. As they were planning on hunting sheep and elk in a differentlocation than us, we offered to share the camp as we would only be back to maincamp every fourth or fifth day. So ourcamp immediately doubled in size!! Turned out to be a decent bunch of guys and it worked out well over thenext two and a half weeks. Our first dayout had us backpack in for about seven hours to our spike camp, as we arrivedat our camp (Darren’s camp, named after a now deceased hunting partner of ours)we took off our packs and began to glass, we had one new member of the partywith us, he had hunted up the tuchodi for the past two years , however in thenext ten minutes he saw more game than he had in two years of prior hunting,below us was a bull moose with three cows, three different groups of elk, eachwith young bulls and in the distance two legal bulls, to set the mood in thefar distance a pack of wolves began to howl….. This is what life is supposed tobe about. For the remainder of the day we established camp and glassed. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytvUOaKdVjQ)

The next morning we arose to the bugling of elk, we had a quick coffee and set off, my partner had never shot a bull elk before, he had been with me the year before and had missed a decent bull. We focused on a bull that was bugling about five hundred yards from camp. Over thenext hour we moved in on him slowly, finally bringing him out into the open at about 250 yards, however he would not turn broadside and stayed focused on us,my partner Rick made the wise choice not to take a risky shot and we watched the bull move off with his cows. Circling back we headed off for the day, as we moved back into the country we spotted a bull many miles away on an open hill, Rick asked if we should go after him, me in my typical lazy manner told him it was way too far away, as we continued on we bugled in another legal bull, however again he did not present a decent shot At 4pm that afternoon we were on the open hill thatI had previously said was too far away, sure enough the bull was there and we bugled him in to 100 yards where Rick made a good shot and put him away.. His first bull elk was down … I apologize for the crappy video as I was just learning to work my camera. After dealing with the bull, we put half in a tree and the other half on our backs and began to work back to camp. Contacting the other two members of our party on the radio we found that they too had shot a six point bull.. DAY ONE and a DOUBLE HEADER!! (They had also missed a six point bull as well!) We were off to a great start. We arrived back at camp tired and sore at1230. (I passed up a legal six point at two hundred yards on the way back as I was too tired to deal with it!!) Day three found us off to gather the rest of our meat and bring it back to spike camp, day four had us packing meat again back down to the river. We took a break for day five and then headed back up the mountain to get the rest of the meat…much to our chagrin we found two younger grizz had climbed (clawed) their way up the meat poles, reached out and opened up our meat bags, we lost a fair bit, somewhat dejected we went to bed , arising early the next morning we packed the remainder down to the river…ONLY to find that another grizz (sow and cub) had tried the same tactic,they also got a bag of meat. Needless to say we were not happy. We fixed up the meat pole as best we could ( we had used the same pole for the last five years with no problem) We then headed back into the mountains, the next few days found us with lots of encounters, five point bulls called into 7 paces, six point bulls that just didn’t work out. I missed a nice six point on a shot at two hundred yards, he was going away from me and I probably should not have shot. As the trip wore on we woreout! Finally we decided one more day and we would head back to the river to meet our fifth guy, as luck would have it we were able to get in on a cow and I took her as my wife had left instructions that meat better becoming home! Moving back to the river we took a day to recover, we placed the meat up popular trees about 30 feet up.The next day we crossed the river and were able to have our fifth member shoot a nice six point bull, crossing back over the tuchodi with loaded packs was interesting to say the least. Arriving at camp we discovered an animal had climbed the 30 feet and took another smallbag of meat!!***** It was a great trip, with five animals being taken, numerous chances, we passed on Bull Moose (they were 50 inch plus and we were too lazy to pack them!) and saw hundreds of elk, we had four of the five members of ourparty shoot their first bull elk. Thanks again to Kevin at riverjet for once again getting us into the zone and making the trip one for the books. Needless to say I am booked again and cannot wait till I get “home” on the tuchodi….. My season continued with a trip to Kyrgyzstan,however I will place that write up in the out of province hunting section, hopeyou enjoy the pics.. Jim

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytvUOaKdVjQ)

Rackmastr
02-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Man oh man that looks like one heck of a cool trip to do one year!!!!!!!

I'd love to do a jet boat hunt and include some sheep/goat if possible, but those elk would be a lot of fun and seeing some of that country would be pretty special.

Thats one hell of a video you put together man! I've only got through half of it so far and just had to post and say good stuff!!

Big jer
02-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Man oh man! that made my day. very cool video.

Looks like great times. A memory has been made. Probably not the first one.

That's what I enjoy, but this website, others sharing their experiences, to make dreamers out of us all.

Thanks for the post. Cheers

BCrams
02-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Awsome trip Jim! As always - enjoy reading your adventures up on the Tuchodi!

Deaddog
02-26-2012, 03:34 PM
was a great trip, just seems to be more elk every year, lots of grizz this year, have booked in for pretty much the month of september this year...

GoatGuy
02-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Always like the write-ups, any video?

Disregard, just clicked on the article!

Maxx
02-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Great story, and pics Jim. It might be time for a battery powered electric fence for those pesky tree climbers.

Grumpa Joe
02-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Awesome video! Beautiful country and some great experiences and memories. If you don't mind me asking how long did it take you to put that long a video together and what program are you using?

Deaddog
02-26-2012, 04:14 PM
program is wondershare, takes a few hours to do it, mostly because you are picking pictures out....is really simple.. Jim

pnbrock
02-26-2012, 04:18 PM
awesome video looks like an awesome trip.thanks for sharing

Ruger4
02-26-2012, 04:34 PM
good stuff , nice touch with the memorial............I hang a picture of a hunting partner that passed away of cancer in my wall tent every year, it seems to bring us luck year after year :-D

Rock Doctor
02-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Missed going up there last yr, I wont be letting that happen this season.

RD

srupp
02-26-2012, 05:03 PM
GREAT VIDEO as usual..exellent adventure, some great elk..and smiling Kevin....cant ask for muchy more

thanks for the music and the action..

Steven

Rattler
02-26-2012, 05:04 PM
That hunt looked like a lot of fun. Great video and thanks for sharing.

HD95
02-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Real nice compilation,Jim.We were there at the same time..a little closer to Childers on the opposite side of the river.Good times

Deaddog
02-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Real nice compilation,Jim.We were there at the same time..a little closer to Childers on the opposite side of the river.Good times

stop by for a beer this year if you are up that way again.....Jim

Ride Red
02-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Well put together, thanks for post'in.

Wood butcher
02-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Awesome. Thanks for sharing

kennyj
02-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Great story and video. You guys work hard for your elk. Way to get er done.
kenny

Moosegetter
02-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Loved it ,nicely done thanks.I was up there last Sept as well.Its a great place to be. Moosegetter

yama49
02-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Looked like one hell of a trip, congrats on another memory.. thx for sharing your adventure with us...

oldkoot
02-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Full marks. Looks like a really good time was had by all.

jtred
02-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Loved it. It's posts like this one that keep me checking in constantly.

BlacktailStalker
02-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Awesome, miss that country. You guys have a good thing going, nice compilation and good collection of meat & bone !

dino
02-26-2012, 09:08 PM
great vid. looks like you were on Saskatchewan hill for the first elk.

nap
02-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Excellant DD, your trip was a fair bit more succesfull than ours up the tuchodi, but looks like you put way more hard work than us. It was just way to hot, not a real excuse but the only one we are using. We were up the first week of sept, camped about 1/2 above boulder alley. Thanks for the great video!!!!!!!! Makes next sept so far away!!

Deaddog
02-27-2012, 05:37 AM
we took one bull on the saskatechean mountain side of the river but quite aways away from Sask mt.. the other four were shot approx 15km off the river... that was my 12th year in a row up the tuchodi, starting to figure it out, it truly is a dream hunt, guys with your own boats are pretty lucky, that said for my once a year hunt it works well having kevin take us up , we had a ton of action this year and other than having to spend a day or so this year redoing meat poles I hope to have the same action this year. Will be up there from Sept 5th to Oct 1st, stop by for a coffee or beer if any of you are up our way.. Jim

HD95
02-27-2012, 08:32 AM
x2 on the heat.The south facing slopes felt like 85 during the day.We were finding the bulls in the dark spruce.With a hoochie mama you could coax them out.G-bears sure made their presence known.

beeugle
02-27-2012, 09:15 AM
going up for the first time this year, all booked and excited, this thread has me drooling already...wow... can't wait... awesome pics and vid... thanks, maybe we'll see you up there, we'll be there about the same time.!!!! 4 of us going up , should be a trip of a life time.!!!

Deaddog
02-27-2012, 09:29 AM
going up for the first time this year, all booked and excited, this thread has me drooling already...wow... can't wait... awesome pics and vid... thanks, maybe we'll see you up there, we'll be there about the same time.!!!! 4 of us going up , should be a trip of a life time.!!!

it will be the trip of a lifetime.. the tuchodi is addictive so be warned..once you go there you will be hooked for life!

Stone Sheep Steve
02-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks for posting up your trip, Jim!
Sure makes me want to look for a new career.

SSS

Calamity
02-27-2012, 10:28 AM
I really enjoyed the video. Sure reminded me of the hunting trips up in the Ghatto Creek basin with my folks. Gorgeous country - wild and wonderful.

cwm
02-27-2012, 10:39 AM
going up that river makes u feel lucky to live in b.c. and happy to be able! also gives a guy something to train for too.

whitetailsheds
02-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Great post once again Jim! Thanks for sharing....

Farmer001
02-28-2012, 09:50 PM
That video just made my day, thanks for sharing.

Deaddog
02-29-2012, 06:11 AM
glad to share the video and pics, the country is amazing and it truly makes for lifelong memorys, any of you that are up that way in sept make sure and stop by for a coffee or beer, my camp is at Deaddog!! DD