PDA

View Full Version : Red Ram merino wool

mddat
02-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Im looking for a some more base layer clothing and was wondering if anyone has tried this Red Ram merino wool. I know its thermal underwear, but does anyone know how it performs in warmer weather as well?

bigwhiteys
02-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Im looking for a some more base layer clothing and was wondering if anyone has tried this Red Ram merino wool. I know its thermal underwear, but does anyone know how it performs in warmer weather as well?

I have Red Ram it's actually made by Icebreaker. Good stuff... I much prefer the Merino as a base layer.. This particular Merino is very thin and form fitting, like a 2nd layer of skin almost. I wouldn't wear it in warmer weather, maybe for an August Sheep hunt, it was great for October sheep and Nov/Dec deer hunting.

Singleshotneeded
02-26-2012, 03:48 AM
Merino wool is the best base layer when it gets cold, wash it in Vanish hunting laundry detergent and
it takes a long time to get stinky.

Superdeuce
02-26-2012, 11:05 AM
As mentioned above, made by Icebreaker which I consider the best hands down, but seem to a slightly less quality in my opinion. I got a couple RedRam T's on boxing week sale at WSS as they were 40% off at the time so was $35 each...They don't say the weight on them but they feel a touch thinner than my regular Icebreaker 150 weight and also a very slight itch compared to my regular icebreaker which is smooth as silk. The Red Ram is fine, but if paying regular price, I would pay the extra $10 or $15 and get the regular Icebreaker. As I noted in another post, the best deal I have seen on Icebreaker is Valhalla in Nanaimo at 40% off (sale ends today I think) if you live in the area or know someone who does and can pick it up for you. You can see what they have available on the Valahalla Pure website but the 40% discount won't show up online as the stores operate independently. No camo in the Icebreaker, but they make them in a lot of earth tone colors which are fine and you can wear them for other non hunting activities and casual.

I would go with a 150 or 200 long sleeve crew and a 260 Zip T and 200 bottoms (and merino hiking socks layered over merino sock liner). Wear tops alone or in combo depending on weather. Don't recommend the 320 top as additional layer as not worth the weight to warmth function in my opinion. It if it is that cold, add a down or synthetic insulating mid layer instead or a fleece. As noted, the performance and odor control value of Merino as your "next to skin" base layer is unbeatable..beyond that, use what fits your needs for mid layering.