PDA

View Full Version : A Good Day Overall

longshot
02-25-2012, 05:18 PM
My dad and I headed back out to our goose hunting fields today for some more honkers. Last week sucked, as I only shot one goose out of the field while standing in the blistering winds and the pooring rain! :icon_frow So this week was a little make up...

We had a number of early flocks trying to enter the field, but all of them were either flying to high, were wary of the rig, or just had different plans.. After 8 am we finally had a pair coach right into the pocket, we got both of those. Just a few minutes later, the same thing happened again! So now we are at 4 geese...

We had a trio of lessers circle, then circle again, and then circle like 8 more times... they finally reached 30 yards after what seemed to be an eternity... but I told my dad "let them circle one more time to get them within 20 yards"... well apparently they heard me or something, because that one more circle never came.. :cry: Right after we had another flock work the spread, but landed about 100 yards infront of the deeks! :evil: Darn geese are soooo tricky this time of year...

A bit later, Dad left the blind to go shake hands with the judge and check the water temperature at the closest bush. And when he left I had a flock of about 20 start working the field! So I pounced on my call and was able to coach them right into 20 yards.... BOOM, splat.. BOOM, splat.. BOOM, close but no cigar.

Last bird of the day came in around 11:15 am which was a HUGE gander flying solo.. with some touchy calling, he came right into the pocket and I shot him down.

Called it a day at noon as it started to get windy which is undesirable for our spot. Still managed a solid 7 geese between the two of us, even with this past weeks horrible weather!!

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab139/canadian-longshot/2012-02-25124838.jpg?t=1330214202 (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);)

I love goose hunting.... :mrgreen:

longshot jr.

Dano
02-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Nice birds Gio!
I shot clays this morning but hopefully tomorrow finds the wind better and a few geese around my spot too. Been out twice this spring but we only managed to drop one, of course we packed up last week and saw 2 flights come over our spot as we loaded the boat.......
Good luck the rest of the season!
Dano

trapperdan2061
02-25-2012, 06:47 PM
allright nice callin and shootin, some good eating there