PDA

View Full Version : Taverners with a 16ga

Crazy_Farmer
02-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Had a little make shift hunt this morning. Just took a laydown and a couple dz silos. Dad joined me after I was setup and hide in the ditch beside me.

The ducks were thick this morning. Atleast a few hundred, with atleast 50 pinnies hitting the flooded corn fields still. A great sight to see still and hopefully they have another good hatch this year and we get the same sortof season next fall.

Not alot of flying compared to last weekend, one flock juked and jived after I got on the calls but they decided to go elsewhere. And then we got flooded with seagulls, and dad spotted some dark things in all the seagulls. Turned out to be geese heading up the valley, got them turned around and they bucked the wind all the way into the decoys. It was raining and pretty windy and they slide from one side of the spread to the other a few times before finally coming in.

Took out my newly bought 16ga stevens SXS which I had bored out to Light Modified in both tubes. It looks a little funny becuase I sanded all the wood and am going to restain it in the summer but I wanted to harvest something with it this season while I still had the chance.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/1-26.jpg

Duckman
02-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Nice pic and story. Interesting choice for a new fowling piece-it can't be easy to find non-toxic ammo for that one!

bearhunter338-06
02-25-2012, 10:46 AM
I have a 16ga as well, who did you get to open the chokes.

Crazy_Farmer
02-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Reliable Gun in Vancouver did it. I got them to do the same to an old Browning A5 a few years ago and its been flawless. I dont expect any problems with this SxS either.

I will say its rarer to find but not impossible. I was shooting 15/16th ounce, #2s steel.

We have a spot where the ducks come through the trees and most shots are probably 15-30 feet, a 12 ga can be a bit overkill for the spot.

kyleklassen
02-25-2012, 03:05 PM
right on.....got some this morning too.......daughter has been using my 16 ga remington 870 for the last few seasons.

bearhunter338-06
02-25-2012, 03:50 PM
I have 3 16ga shotguns right now.
1) single shot Full choke
2) Remington 870 Wingmaster Vent Rib (old model) Improved cylinder
3) Winchester Model 12 Full choke

I prefer the 16ga over a 20ga. To all you who say ammo is hard to find you just keep that in mind :-)

lorneparker1
02-25-2012, 04:13 PM
I don't believe you. You can only kill geese with a 12ga and 3.5 inch shells. well I guess a 10ga would be ok as well.

Crazy_Farmer
02-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Matt likes to say anything smaller then a 12ga is a womans gauge.

I'm thinking a 28ga for cacklers maybe next season.......just joking.

longshot
02-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Good going CF! I got my first Tav in December 2010.. I made sure I kept the meat in its own bowl, and you could certainly taste the difference. Much more tender.

My sister used to use a 20 gauge single shot for fowling, 7/8 #2 seemed to do the trick on honkers just fine! :wink:

Crazy_Farmer
02-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Good going CF! I got my first Tav in December 2010.. I made sure I kept the meat in its own bowl, and you could certainly taste the difference. Much more tender.

I'm really curious as to why it would be more tender? They are essentially lessers with a few specific species traits.

longshot
02-25-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm really curious as to why it would be more tender? They are essentially lessers with a few specific species traits.

Well they are more tender compared to a big @$$ gander thats for sure! ;)

Crazy_Farmer
02-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Oh, that I can understand. Yeah the honkers we've shot this late season have been some hard to pluck birds and I think they were pretty old geese aswell.

Smaller ones are much easier to pluck and seem a little less tough

Ian F.
02-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Matt likes to say anything smaller then a 12ga is a womans gauge.

So is the lady killer himself calling me a girl? wonder if there is a shrink around...me thinks he's compensating for something....