02-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Rams 38
Ewes 42
Lambs 8

Excellent video done at the count:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad0pinSWNX8

tracker
02-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Thats about all we are going to do with that sheep herd is count them, It will take a lifetime to get a LEH draw there. We need a GOS of some sort in 8 09 and 8 01 ..

Jagermeister
02-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Damm, I missed that count again. Was planning on attending and even had a place to stay right there.
That used to be my old stomping grounds. Brings back lots of old memories.
That is the area where I shot my first deer on my own.
I had shot many other deer before, but always had my dad along who promptly took care of the dressing since he was so adept at it.
Anyhow, long story short, it was my first attempt. I did a pretty good job because when I got the deer to the butcher, he congratulated me on the cleanliness of the animal. He then proceeded to show me the quarters of other animals brought in that were covered in debris. He said he charged extra for cutting if he had to pick the crap off the quarters before cutting. Since mine was so nice and clean I would not be paying that extra charge.
Anyhow, sorry for the hijack.

bowhunterbruce
02-25-2012, 10:39 AM
comming home from olivers 3d shoot last weekend i spotted this bunch not to far off the hwy,
unfortunatly by the time i stopped and got the camera out some had gone over the hill but i counted 52 lambs and ewes in total.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/bowhunterbruce1/010.jpg
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/bowhunterbruce1/011.jpg
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/bowhunterbruce1/012.jpg
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/bowhunterbruce1/013.jpg
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/bowhunterbruce1/009.jpg

first time that i've seen any part of that herd,not to many places to pull over on the hwy though.

Moose Guide
02-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Great to see people bring their kids along!!!

.300WSMImpact!
02-25-2012, 10:53 AM
I heard the numbers where coming back nicely, glad to see maybe next time I will go

Fisher-Dude
02-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Damm, I missed that count again. Was planning on attending and even had a place to stay right there.
That used to be my old stomping grounds. Brings back lots of old memories.
That is the area where I shot my first deer on my own.
I had shot many other deer before, but always had my dad along who promptly took care of the dressing since he was so adept at it.
Anyhow, long story short, it was my first attempt. I did a pretty good job because when I got the deer to the butcher, he congratulated me on the cleanliness of the animal. He then proceeded to show me the quarters of other animals brought in that were covered in debris. He said he charged extra for cutting if he had to pick the crap off the quarters before cutting. Since mine was so nice and clean I would not be paying that extra charge.
Anyhow, sorry for the hijack.

There were also 70 "endangered mulw deer" counted! You didn't get the last one, Jags! :wink:

.300WSMImpact!
02-25-2012, 10:57 AM
There were also 70 "endangered mulw deer" counted! You didn't get the last one, Jags! :wink:

no deer there, no reason to go there unless you get a sheep draw ;)

bruin
02-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks for posting the link FD, and thanks to all that attended the count.

I sent an e-mail to WSSBC to find out when the SB and Kamloops Lake counts would be. I'd really like to go again this year and for planning purposes, the sooner the dates are made the better. (I know there's lots of logistical stuff to organize first).

Traker, there's GOS seasons in region 3 and 4 for bighorns on bigger herds in bigger country. Go hunt there!

Fisher-Dude
02-25-2012, 12:17 PM
I recognize that guy looking thru the spotter in the video. I think he stayed in the parking lot - cowboy boots just don't cut it in walking in sheep country! :D

Stone Sheep Steve
02-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Great to see people bring their kids along!!!

That's no kid...although she is part mtn goat / part monkey.

She had a blast and did an awesome job on the big steak back at the clubhouse.
Kudos to the chef who did a great job on those awesome steaks!

Great job on the video, Corey, depsite the foggy conditions!

SSS

Fisher-Dude
02-25-2012, 12:34 PM

SSS

I'll give her a call next time I need some help getting a deer out of a tough spot. I probably have to go thru your agent to get any help from you now. :wink:

snareman1234
02-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I recognize that guy looking thru the spotter in the video. I think he stayed in the parking lot - cowboy boots just don't cut it in walking in sheep country! :D

That's a helluva nice spotter he's looking through though, that ain't no cowboy rig ;)

GoatGuy
02-25-2012, 12:48 PM

SSS

She was leading the pack and did better than all the old guys, that's for sure.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-25-2012, 06:00 PM

Better than the old guys and better than the crippled young guys too.

Speaking of older guys...does anyone know how the gentleman faired who was carted-off in the ambulance?

SSS

Brambles
02-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Were they on predator control too??? I seen one guy packing a rifle?

snareman1234
02-25-2012, 06:15 PM

Lol you only seen ONE guy there packing heat? No way you spotted any sheep if you missed that many pieces all around... :P lol jk

Jimbo
02-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Any thoughts on why so few lambs ?

Stone Sheep Steve
02-25-2012, 07:30 PM

That's a full time job.

SSS

goatdancer
02-25-2012, 07:47 PM

Most old guys are smart enough to let the young ones take the lead so they can save their strength for beer drinking later........

Jagermeister
02-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Anybody see any cougars or sign thereof, and I am not talking the two legged species either?

SHAKER
02-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Anybody see any cougars or sign thereof, and I am not talking the two legged species either?

I would be suprised if anyone did..... that country is pounded hard EVERY day. Kind of glad I don't play in the cat race anymore.

SHAKER
02-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Thats about all we are going to do with that sheep herd is count them, It will take a lifetime to get a LEH draw there. We need a GOS of some sort in 8 09 and 8 01 ..

Thoughts like that will start a s#!* storm for sure buddy.... but I'm with ya!

GoatGuy
02-26-2012, 12:19 PM
I would be suprised if anyone did..... that country is pounded hard EVERY day. Kind of glad I don't play in the cat race anymore.

We saw one set of bob tracks and one set of cougar tracks.

358mag
02-26-2012, 12:33 PM
FD you should come down next year were always looking for a extra truck-taxi driver to shuffle the crew around might even buy u a cold happy pop back @ the club house

358mag
02-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Found a recent cougar kill mulie and lots of coyote tracks

Fisher-Dude
02-26-2012, 12:47 PM
FD you should come down next year were always looking for a extra truck-taxi driver to shuffle the crew around might even buy u a cold happy pop back @ the club house

There's an offer I can't refuse!

SHAKER
02-26-2012, 10:34 PM
We saw one set of bob tracks and one set of cougar tracks.

Always a female or two hang'n around in that country.... Big mature Tom's are few and far between. My hound dog friends works this country hard and might get a Tom up a tree all season.... Some of the females there get run many times during the season and start to get pretty cranky about it by the end of it. Glad the Sheep count went well though guys.

Elk-Aholic
02-26-2012, 11:11 PM

Hence the reason lots of guys were packing 'heat'. Predator numbers are up throughout BC, and this area is no exception. I know FD will spport this one (well he may not admit it), but lamb recruitment is not what the biologists were hoping for so everyone needs to get out during the off season and hammer a few coyotes. Should I mention some of the predator management program inplementated in the past and how well the unglates responded because of it. And do I need to mention wolves........yes they are here and yes they are the best professional hunters out there. Still have my fingers crossed for a season sooner than later or else we will have a Yellowstone fiasco in our own backyard.

boxhitch
02-28-2012, 10:11 AM
In an ideal world,from any given ewe type group, 1/3 of ewes are mature enough to breed, 1/3 yearlings , and 1/3 new lambs would be optimal , maximum recruitment. It doesn't happen
Factor in some error by non-professional counters or just did not take the time to classify, then some of last years lambs are counted in the ewe group. So that '8' may not be accurate.
42:8 is not so bad

02-28-2012, 12:57 PM
A classification of 38 rams, 42 ewes, and 8 lambs does not take into account the number of yearlings. Since lambs usually outnumber the yearlings by a margin of close to 2 to 1 at this time of year there are probably 4 or 5 yearlings in there which probably got counted as ewes. Thus there really are only 37 or 38 ewes, and 8 lambs for 37 or 38 ewes is an actual lamb ratio of 21.1 to 21.6 per 100 ewes which like Boxhitch says is not too terrible bad, even though it certainly could/should be better.

A lamb ratio of 21 or 22 lambs per 100 ewes is probably sufficient to maintain the population (maintenance level), but also indicates an almost zero growth rate in overall herd numbers. The accuracy of this statement also depends significantly on the accuracy of the count and accuracy of the classification of the animals counted in relation to the actual number and classification of sheep that exist in this herd.

Another factor that one must also keep in mind is that there will be additional mortalities between now and spring lambing season and the majority of this mortality will be juveniles (lambs and/or yearlings).