PDA

View Full Version : Technicality Question

ARC
10-18-2006, 05:00 PM
I have recently been given permission to hunt a section of land that is adjacent to a local highway. The highway does in fact have a 400 m single projectile regulation in place. So basically, in the regulations it says that "the discharge of a firearm using a single projectile is prohibited within 400m on either side of the road allowance". I scouted the area out on the weekend and the spot I want to place my stand is 475m from the centreline of the highway. The edge of the field is 300 m from the highway and there would be nothing dangerous about taking a shot in that direction, since the highway actually turns here and the bullet wouldn't be travelling towards the road. So, if I read the regulations correctly, there is nothing illegal about shooting a deer that is 300 m from the centreline of the road, as long as the firearm is discharged from beyond 400m. Does this sound correct?

browningboy
10-18-2006, 05:06 PM
If you read carefully, there is no discharge from 400m from centerline period, so if you are worried double check but I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

Hope that helps.

sawmill
10-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Jesus,I`d be pretty carefull about shooting in the direction of the hiway even if it did hook away?

Will
10-18-2006, 06:57 PM
I have recently been given permission to hunt a section of land that is adjacent to a local highway. The highway does in fact have a 400 m single projectile regulation in place. So basically, in the regulations it says that "the discharge of a firearm using a single projectile is prohibited within 400m on either side of the road allowance". I scouted the area out on the weekend and the spot I want to place my stand is 475m from the centreline of the highway. The edge of the field is 300 m from the highway and there would be nothing dangerous about taking a shot in that direction, since the highway actually turns here and the bullet wouldn't be travelling towards the road. So, if I read the regulations correctly, there is nothing illegal about shooting a deer that is 300 m from the centreline of the road, as long as the firearm is discharged from beyond 400m. Does this sound correct?
Yes Technically you are Correct...as long as the "Discharge" occurs from beyond the 400 Meter rule. Obviously your better "Judgement" will ensure the Bullet goes somewhere Safe after that.

Personnally I'd want the Dead Critter outside of the 400 Meter mark as well.........rules out ANY chance of a Misunderstanding by the CO's.:wink:

ianwuzhere
10-18-2006, 07:33 PM
i think youd be ok.

Krico
10-18-2006, 07:35 PM
If you are beyond the 400m mark when you fire you are perfectly legal. Only you can judge whether or not you are shooting in a safe direction. The fact that the animal falls dead next to the highway does not matter-You could shoot it a kilometre away and have it run that far...However if concerned you may want to think about what Will said:wink:

Fisher-Dude
10-18-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm with Will. Best to avoid a "situation". No sense in having your memory of the hunt tainted with a squabble with the authorities.