PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer - attractant techniques

WoodOx
10-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Hey all,
I typically glass/hike/push/road hunt for mule deer.

I want to try a couple new things this year - have any of you guys tried and had any success with scent lines, rattling, doe in estrus, grunting (to call in, not get attention of), etc?

Any experience, suggestions, or opinions would be great!

NEEHAMA
10-18-2006, 02:23 PM
yes, nov 20-25 try sitting in the timber close to busy game trails and cover the area in doe in heat sent. then use the doe bleat every 1/2 hour. i did this for the first time last year and called a 4 point mulie in approx. 5 feet from me! it acually works. i call from inside the timber. it's hard for me to get them to run out into a clearing.

JohnS
10-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Whats a Good Sent to use?

bigwhiteys
10-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Anise Oil...

Buck Bombs...

Tinks Doe Piss...

Vanilla...

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Will
10-18-2006, 03:21 PM
I've had my Best Success just Spot and Stalking......never really had Much Success "Calling":redface:
That Changed Last year though......I actually Rattled in my 1st Buck with the Help of a Grunt tube.
Wasn't the Biggest 4x4 (I passed up Bigger ones early in the season:roll: )
However it was my last Hunting day and I couldn't resist the 1st Buck I actually "Rattled" in so I took him :)
I don't believe in Cover Scents......I try and use the Wind to my advantage:|
Best of Luck !

DropTines
10-18-2006, 03:55 PM
I know your talking about Mules, but my Uncle will find a well used Whitetail deer trail and poor a bottle of doe estrus on a stump then come back in an hour or 45 minutes. He did this last year but come back 30 minutes later and there was a 3 pont sniffing the stump
________
Marijuana Seeds (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

WoodOx
10-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks for all your advice so far - but yeah I know scents etc will work for whitetails but a few people have me not to bother as mule deer arent as responsive.

Just questioning it to see if anyone else has other experiences with mulies!

boxhitch
10-18-2006, 04:20 PM
A nice pile of oats and apples seems to get their attention. Throw on some alfalfa cubes, if needed for the fussy ones.
Grunting and farting doesn't seem to work as well for muleys as for whiteys, but in that narrow window of time when it does.........

WoodOx
10-18-2006, 04:37 PM
lol, pretty sure its illegal to bait in BC - thanks though

oldtimer
10-18-2006, 04:44 PM
I use doe scent on the end of a rag tied around my ankle as I walk a trail. Had lots of does come along but waiting for the big buck. This tear I am going to try a smoking punk stick as a lof people tell me this works. This is for bow hunting. Mike

mark
10-18-2006, 05:25 PM
lol, pretty sure its illegal to bait in BC - thanks though

No, actually its not! Only the baiting of bears is illegal!

sawmill
10-18-2006, 05:31 PM
I use doe scent on the end of a rag tied around my ankle as I walk a trail. Had lots of does come along but waiting for the big buck. This tear I am going to try a smoking punk stick as a lof people tell me this works. This is for bow hunting. Mike

I`m gonna try that in the pub tonight,but I`ll save the punk stick for later.:biggrin:

jjensen20
10-18-2006, 06:20 PM
yes, nov 20-25 try sitting in the timber close to busy game trails and cover the area in doe in heat sent. then use the doe bleat every 1/2 hour. i did this for the first time last year and called a 4 point mulie in approx. 5 feet from me! it acually works. i call from inside the timber. it's hard for me to get them to run out into a clearing.

unless your hunting certain areas of region 4 mule deer closes on november 10th the first rut around here usually ends around nov 10

chevy
10-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Spot,Stalk and start to walk is what i do all the mulies i have shot have been up high in the rocks and miles from any near road but i only go after mulies if they are big buggers takes alot of patience to sit in one spot and glass the area for a while but in the end it is always worth it i have tried scent and grunts and mulies to me don't seem to be attracted to it they just don't work for me

WoodOx
10-18-2006, 06:57 PM
You sure Marc? In regard to the baiting?

Jeff - Region 3 mule deer are also open untill Dec. 10. Irrelevant for me and you though.

There is absolutly no glass-ability in the area I am questioning - where the mulies hang out is in treed area, and there arent any vantage points (unless in a place I suppose).

Hiking and finding, or attracting are the only options.

sawmill
10-18-2006, 07:00 PM
I`m the same,I like still hunting and I don`t like grunts or calls,I think it just lets them know where I am.I hunt real slow and stick mostly to high spots where I can spot and stalk if I see something.I do that with whities too and that is REAL hard cause those things are extremely hard to fool.

ianwuzhere
10-18-2006, 07:41 PM
yup baiting bears is illegal and i think birds is too- baiting deer etc is ok.

WoodOx
10-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Last year when I shot a mule buck, he had his nose in the rear end of a doe. Within 15 minutes a 2 point came to check out the area, and right at dark another 4 point came by and watched me load my buck. Those two bucks must have smelt the doe's estrus, wouldnt you think? Im thinking about putting a scent line up this year, but its impossible to find mule doe estrus!

Another question - you guys ever use any type of grain/corn to get deer to come to your cams?

Thanks again!

browningboy
10-19-2006, 08:08 PM
You can do what the cattlemen have been doing for years, get a salt block and put it on a game trail off the beaten path, put on your mullet hat, camo clothes and sit in your truck and guzzle beer and have the odd smoke but make sure that you put on scent blocker when you get out of the truck because you don't want them to wind you! LOL8)
Mullets kick ass!