PDA

View Full Version : Caping Demonstration at WSSOBC Convention

Wild Images
02-24-2012, 10:48 AM
For those interested in learning how to prepare your capes in the field
Marty Loring of Majestic Taxidermy will be putting on a workshop friday morning. You will learn how to cape out a head in the field and turn the lips and ears prepping it for the taximan
Would be well worth the effort to attend !!

http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/node/4400

Caveman
02-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Definately one I want to take in

Deaddog
02-24-2012, 12:51 PM
I will be there, can always use more tips!

Eastbranch
02-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Somebody film it and post to youtube!

pitbell
02-24-2012, 02:58 PM
No need. He has a DVD coming out with step by step instructions on caping and hide prep on mountain specific big game.
Awesome video. They should be available to purchase at the convention.

BCrams
02-24-2012, 05:08 PM
I'll step up and buy one! Good stuff.

338 winmag
02-25-2012, 10:23 AM
No need. He has a DVD coming out with step by step instructions on caping and hide prep on mountain specific big game.
Awesome video. They should be available to purchase at the convention.

will the videos be for sale in town here?

pitbell
02-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Yes, he's taking orders right now and should have more available in a couple of weeks.
Marty @ Majestic Taxidermy 250-963-1344

338 winmag
02-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Appreciate it, thanks.

kootenayelkslayer
02-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Somebody film it and post to youtube!

Better buy a DVD or your cape is going to look like Swiss cheese.

ThinAir
02-25-2012, 02:49 PM
The video will be a great investment!
I saw the " nearly" finished product a while back... very nice to be able to pause and watch sections over again! This will be a must buy for mountain hunters.... not to mention he capes a B&C ram on the DVD too!

pitbell
02-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Better buy a DVD or your cape is going to look like Swiss cheese.

The whole reason that he decided to put the DVD together was because he was sick of the amount of ruined Sheep capes that came through his shop.
Oh and some of you will recognize the monster B&C Stone that he capes in the video!

Call of the Wild
02-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks for sharing I'll get one for sure, can always learn a new thing or two.

pitbell
03-14-2012, 05:31 PM
I just got my copy today. He is also donating a portion of every dvd he sells to the WSSOBC!

yama49
03-14-2012, 06:53 PM
I will b attending the clinic, and will purchase a vid this weekend... The way i read the agenda, you can catch it at 830 or 1030. is this correct?

ufishifish2
03-14-2012, 10:09 PM
I too have been looking forward to the caping demo. Tips from a pro are invaluable for a trophy of a lifetime.
Glad to hear you guys are pretty much sold out again Deaddog.
Safe drive everybody and will see you there.

sammy-j-peppers
03-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Any feed back on the seminar or video?

bridger
03-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Had an interesting visit to one of our local taxidermists the other day he was mounting a stone and was totally disgusted as the cape had 28 cuts on the face and forty overall and ears turned wrong. The video is a great idea! What's the price tag?

boxhitch
03-27-2012, 07:37 PM
and was totally disgusted as the cape had 28 cuts on the face and forty overall and ears turned wrong.Results of a Havalon in the wrong hands ?

bridger
03-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Results of a Havalon in the wrong hands ?

Apparently!

BiG Boar
03-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Any feed back on the seminar or video?

Feed back: Don't bring a frozen sheep to be skinned out. LOL.

Walkntalk
03-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Any idea how much these DVD's go for? If I'm lucky I'll get a sheep hunt in before I get too old. Have wondered how to cape properly. Did members find the video woth the $?

Thanks for the tips.

Tuffcity
03-28-2012, 07:57 PM
I bet that went over like a lead balloon! Glad I missed it then....

Actually not as bad as it sounds. I attended the second one and while it was still frozen there was enough thawed material to demonstrate the really important stuff like eyes, ears and lips.

BTW... it wasn't the taxi who supplied the critters.

RC

pitbell
03-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Apparently one cape was frozen stiff and the other was badly freezer burnt.
Tuffcity is right they were not his capes.

bighornbob
03-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Apparently one cape was frozen stiff and the other was badly freezer burnt.
Tuffcity is right they were not his capes.

Marty did a great job with what he had.

We had some stuff lined up for Marty to do and then a big ram (from the Minisitry) came available here in kamloops. We thought that it would be awesome since it was for the sheep banquet. That head fell through as it had to go to a taxidermist a week before the show as the minisitry had no freezer room (you have to remember these are full heads and horns plus the cape so they take up space.)

So we were scrambling again then found out about another couple of sheep that were in another ministry freezer in another region that we could have. Those weren't taken out of the freezer soon enough as we were trying to arrange for them to get up to the show. With the outside temps being what they were they did not thaw out as fast as we hoped, plus the ride up in the back of a truck did not help I am sure. We had them thawing in one of the directors bath tub the night before and joked that we hoped a chambermaid does not come in or she might be shocked if she looked in the tub:):)

BHB

budismyhorse
03-29-2012, 12:09 PM
another good example of how people underestimate how hard people are working in the background. Picturing a stinking thawing head in a hotel tub is awesome. Great job making it happen boys!

Reminds me when I used to spend hours trying to track down two goalies for a night of shinny........one ggoalie wouldn't show and there were always guys bitching "this is BS....one frigging goalie".

BiG Boar
03-29-2012, 01:57 PM
A dead frozen sheep head in the bath! Could have been better used by slipping it into one of the directors beds. Like that scene from the godfather.

budismyhorse
03-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Thats an offer he can't refuse...... WWSOBC style

Stone Sheep Steve
03-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Should have just dropped it into the hot tub in the courtyard.:shock:
Betcha it would have worked better than the bathtub.:-D

SSS

BigfishCanada
03-29-2012, 04:26 PM
This guy Dick posted on Youtube which I thought was kewl, I believe its a fallow deer he demos on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA3_E5kIMMI

BromBones
03-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Marty did a great job with what he had.

He sure did. Even though he didn't get to go through a cape start to finish, it was great to sit back and listen to a pro give advice/tips on how it's done. Well worth the time to attend.

srupp
04-11-2012, 06:26 PM
HMMM watched the DVD on the awesome stone sheep....was a great video..good tips worth the cost of admission..may save someone a cape by watching..and the donation to WSSBC was great touch.. still learning.....

cheers
Steven

Springer
04-11-2012, 09:13 PM
HMMM watched the DVD on the awesome stone sheep....was a great video..good tips worth the cost of admission..may save someone a cape by watching..and the donation to WSSBC was great touch.. still learning.....

cheers
Steven

Alright i know who i can borrow the DVD from now...:-D

srupp
04-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi Phil Its very well done..and yes its for you to borrow..er rent..ya thats it...hmmmm sherpa duties and video this August on Dall sheep..

I also have a book for you from Alaska Tony Russ...on DALL SHEEP hunting....

cheers

Steven

Springer
04-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Believe me Elmer , that is such a tempting offer !! and we will have to talk a little more on this subject. I am looking forward to the book and DVD.