PDA

View Full Version : MOOSE and ELK

Te Anau
02-23-2012, 01:34 AM
Hi you lot,
I'm a alpine hunter from Te Anau in New Zealand looking for advise on which area's in BC are worth trying to be in for the hunting season holding good Moose and Elk hunting reputation.My partner is a fixed wing mountain pilot and we want to try and get work in BC this season and if we can be nare the mentioned above would be good.Not spacificly looking to shoot trophy bulls but would be happy to help out an outfitter or locals on hunts as myself having worked as a guide in fishing and hunting I don't need to pull the trigger.But ya never know what could happen.Would appreciate any advise on area's and if anyone is thinking of hunting in New Zealand I may be able to offer advise(thar hunting and Red deer).I'll try and chuck some pics in my profile to show the back ground we're from.
cheers.

ryanb
02-23-2012, 06:20 AM
Your partner is unlikely to get a work visa as a pilot in Canada due to lack of demand for pilots. Furthermore, you will never qualify for resident status (in terms of hunting) unless you are planning to permanently immigrate to Canada. Therefore, should you wish to hunt here you will have to hire a licensed outfitter. Having said all that, moose or elk are present in virtually the whole province, and 60% or more of the province has populations of both.

Moose63
02-23-2012, 07:24 AM
If I were to start, the best region in the province would be Region 7A for moose and Region 4 for elk. Look up the LEH guide and based on the odds you can generally tell where the most desirable areas to hunt are.

Good Luck.

BTW, I read Duncun Gilchrist's book "Hunt High". The New Zealand chapter was very interesting.

specbelly
02-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Northeast BC Prophet River to Ft Nelson, there are plenty of Elk and latge moose

fireguy
02-23-2012, 09:07 AM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

Give this a read, it should help you out.

hunter1947
02-23-2012, 09:32 AM
My advice is try to get as close to the BC Yukon board as possible the hunting and for your work ,in the area its as good as you can get for Moose ,Dall Sheep ,Stone Sheep ,Caribou you won't have that long a drive if you want to come down south to hunt for Rocky MT Elk..

Te Anau
02-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Morning ,
thanks for the heads up,I'm not looking to work in your country Ryanb,just my partner.I have to kids which will keep me busier than working anyway.She has a couple of interviews and leaves in a couple of weeks.Is going to travel up the middle from Vancouver pestering all companies she may find as well.We don't really expect to find something this season but are prepared to spend the time and money to put a face to who we are.Several of the Helicopter pilots here work in Canada for your summer and do helicopter deer recovery here for our summer(they aren't heli hunting in Canada).It's not that difficult to get a work permit,it's getting the job first ,then they can apply for the permit with you.Almost a sponsor I guess.I'll check out the links you guys have suggested,thanks again.How do I post some pics on here?

moose2
02-23-2012, 01:38 PM
This is how I post pictures on this site. Resize your pictures to about 900 x 600 on your computer. Upload them to the gallery on this site. Once there they can be copy and pasted to your thread. Your best to start your thread in the out of province section further down the forum page. I am looking forward to the pictures.
Hope this helps
Mike

Philcott
02-23-2012, 01:49 PM
You can always find a couple of guys to go into moose camp with. You wouldn't be able to do the shooting but you can come along for the trip and still have a great time in the woods.

Philcott
02-23-2012, 01:57 PM
As long as you can cook, that is.:-D:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Hokiboy
02-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Hi I'm from Hokitika. Now live and hunt in BC. First read the regulations. The Linc from fireguy, and try http:////www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/process/accompany_hunt.html
Also check out the Guide Outfitter Association of BC ; GOABC.
I will help you if I can. Pm me for more information.

Te Anau
02-24-2012, 03:58 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Mirf2_RE.jpg

Love to cook,if you can get the meat!This is A young Hybrid Wapiti I stalked and photographed at about 20m this bugle.Not like yours,but they are from the same lines of Rosenvelt elk introduced here in 1906.

1980skywalker
02-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Thats awesome Te Anau, New Zealand is definately a place that I would love to hunt oneday. If you need someone to hunt with in BC and want to trade similar experiences in NZ let me know, BC is full of opportunities for a wide variety of animals. Shoot me a PM

wildcatter
02-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Hi there,
Some of my friends went hunting in New Zealand and they loved it.
I would like to try one day as well.
Perhaps we can talk about it later.
Cheers

fireguy
02-24-2012, 09:15 PM
It's funny how we all ( or at least a lot of us) would love to go hunting in New Zealand and they would love to come here and hunt. I would love to go there and hunt one day but I realize we have it pretty good here as well and try to take advantage of it.

Te Anau
02-24-2012, 09:50 PM
One of the biggest problems with hunting ,especially trophy hunting here in New Zealand is there are no regulations to manage the animals.it has it's pro and cons but really doesn't produce fair chase trophies like it has the potential to.Not to say you cannot find to take a 13'' bull Thar or 6-7 point red stag .Each to thier own but I enjoy my Thar hunting in the rut as much as having red stags roaring at you at 20 passes struggling to see them.Alot of hunters have taken to bull Thar hunting in the summer months now days which I think is wrong.The cape from a winter coat bull Thar is as probably more of a trophy than the horn.You know Thar right.http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Bull_Thar.jpg